When will the Bears get a Compensatory Pick?

Rise

Liked Posts:
To me this mystery system is the most frustrating thing about today's NFL besides what is a catch. That said when is this team going to get in the game? Just look at what the Patriots just did, how is this possible? They signed a bigtime CB, two new RBs, but are going to get a 4th and 5th round pick for Blount? This system is totally broken since only the good teams seem to ever get picks, but since it isn't changing anytime soon the goal should be to start reaping these rewards.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...oals-with-legarrette-blounts-deal-with-eagles

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To me this mystery system is the most frustrating thing about today's NFL besides what is a catch. That said when is this team going to get in the game? Just look at what the Patriots just did, how is this possible? They signed a bigtime CB, two new RBs, but are going to get a 4th and 5th round pick for Blount? This system is totally broken since only the good teams seem to ever get picks, but since it isn't changing anytime soon the goal should be to start reaping these rewards.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-englan...oals-with-legarrette-blounts-deal-with-eagles

The formula is based on FAs signed vs FA that sign with other teams and looks at the total value of their contracts.

http://www.patriots.com/patriots-2017-free-agent-tracker

I haven't done the math but the Pats lost more players than they said and only Gilmore's contract is big. So more than likely the value of the departures exceeded the value of the guys signed.

The Bears don't get comp picks because most of our players are trash and we sign more than we lose in FA.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Every time the Patriots get ahead by playing within the system, fans from the other 31 teams assume the system is rigged.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Every time the Patriots get ahead by playing within the system, fans from the other 31 teams assume the system is rigged.

I never said it is rigged just that it is a broken system.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Alshon screwed them.

He was going to be their best chance at a comp pick and then he got a 1 year deal worth about 8 million before escalators.

They won't for a long time.

Nicker

Liked Posts:
How is it broken though? The system gives teams who lose a lot of players in free agency extra picks to make up for departing players who are signing elsewhere for more money.

If you didn't have this system, then teams would essentially get penalized for developing players they can no longer afford.

Even with it set up the way it is, it's still very unfair to the team that loses the developed player. I believe the bears turned Bernard Berrian into Michael okow.

The patriots are just better than everyone else.

Rise

Liked Posts:
How is it broken though? The system gives teams who lose a lot of players in free agency extra picks to make up for departing players who are signing elsewhere for more money.

If you didn't have this system, then teams would essentially get penalized for developing players they can no longer afford.

Even with it set up the way it is, it's still very unfair to the team that loses the developed player. I believe the bears turned Bernard Berrian into Michael okow.

The patriots are just better than everyone else.

Look at the list of players the patriots signed and who they lost and tell me they needed some picks to make up the difference. It's a joke, and yes kudos to them for finding the loopholes and taking advantage of it.

Good teams should lose some players, that's how you keep the talent levels even across the league. This out of hand system is not helping, it's just widening the talent gap and allowing the rich to get richer.

To honestly look at who the patriots signed and who they lost and think they needed some compensation is ridiculous.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
When you can eeeeasily afford to lose players, getting extra picks to replace them seems almost unfair. BUT, you have to draft well for it to work out.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

You not understanding it doesn't mean it's broken. The Patriots seem to understand it very well.

Rise

Liked Posts:
You not understanding it doesn't mean it's broken. The Patriots seem to understand it very well.

It is broken because it is not accomplishing what it is intended to do. I may not understand the formula but I do understand the result.

Plus nobody here has proven to understand it either. The patriots are getting those picks because of the tender they gave Blount, not the dollar amount of contracts.

Rise

Liked Posts:
When you can eeeeasily afford to lose players, getting extra picks seems to replace them is almost unfair. BUT, you have to draft well for it to work out.

I get that I just don't agree with it. The league is about parody, I am sure that is why this thing was created. Its not working as intended thus should be changed.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Parity? Parody is comedy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is broken because it is not accomplishing what it is intended to do. I may not understand the formula but I do understand the result.

Plus nobody here has proven to understand it either. The patriots are getting those picks because of the tender they gave Blount, not the dollar amount of contracts.

No they are not.

After May 9, Blount wouldn’t have counted in the Patriots’ favor with compensatory picks if the team had not place the tender on him. The tender preserved those picks as things currently stand, and could potentially improve them depending on how things unfold this season in the complex compensatory-pick formula.

They were due to get comp picks due to the players they lost vs the ones they signed. The Blount May 9 tender as the above notes simply PRESERVED the picks they were already expected to get and may improve them. Although I seriously doubt it improves the pick because Blount signed a 1 year deal for peanuts.

All this article really does is overhype the May 9 tender of Blount because well it's the Patriots. Blount didn't sign a big enough deal for the tender to really matter but the author probably just had to get a story out.

FYI, the article has a link to overthecap which details the compensatory pick formula as they understand. You should probably read it.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Basically if you go to the Pats, it shows you quite clearly which FAs lost are offset againt FA gained and the round each FA represents. You can see the Pats are net lost even without Blount.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Alshon screwed them.

He was going to be their best chance at a comp pick and then he got a 1 year deal worth about 8 million before escalators.

They won't for a long time.
We offered the most and would easily have accepted that deal as well. He just didn't want to be here. When he signed that deal, who didn't go WTF?

Need good players coming of their deals to get comp picks. Says more about what Pace walked into than the system.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think I read somewhere that if the Bears had not signed Glennon, they would have gotten a 4th for Jeffery. Can't confirm though.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
It's a horrible system that should be scrapped and replaced with an 8th round in the draft.

Rise

Liked Posts:
No they are not.

After May 9, Blount wouldn’t have counted in the Patriots’ favor with compensatory picks if the team had not place the tender on him. The tender preserved those picks as things currently stand, and could potentially improve them depending on how things unfold this season in the complex compensatory-pick formula.

They were due to get comp picks due to the players they lost vs the ones they signed. The Blount May 9 tender as the above notes simply PRESERVED the picks they were already expected to get and may improve them. Although I seriously doubt it improves the pick because Blount signed a 1 year deal for peanuts.

All this article really does is overhype the May 9 tender of Blount because well it's the Patriots. Blount didn't sign a big enough deal for the tender to really matter but the author probably just had to get a story out.

FYI, the article has a link to overthecap which details the compensatory pick formula as they understand. You should probably read it.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Basically if you go to the Pats, it shows you quote clearly which FAs lost are offset againt FA gained and the round each FA represents. You can see the Pats are net lost even without Blount.

Fair enough and thank you for the link. I still think the system itself is not working as intended and needs to be changed. That is the main point of this thread. As it stands good teams are able to take advantage of it, and widen the talent gap. It also rewards being cheap, you don't have to be against the cap to get a pick, which is wrong imo.