How a visit to Chapel Hill solidified the Bears' conviction in Mitch Trubisky

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I recall hearing they worked him out beforehand too, but thought nothing of it since they also saw others.

Apparently a dinner is a bigger deal than a workout?

The point is the masked seriousness of their crazy high level of interest while it seemed to most of us to simply be doing their diligence, or at worst, seeing if the prospect may be what others wanted. Fooled us. Too many threads on that already. Thanks for posting this article. Good read.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I remember that report as well, when he rattled of a bunch of teams. A few days later, it was no longer the case when he dropped the Bears from other interviews.

Here's the vid. You have to know that he realized that he fucked up, kept his cool and moved on. Still fucked up. A minute or so in.
[video=youtube;Quthzkmcqrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quthzkmcqrg[/video]

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I recall hearing they worked him out beforehand too, but thought nothing of it since they also saw others.

Apparently a dinner is a bigger deal than a workout?

The point is the masked seriousness of their crazy high level of interest while it seemed to most of us to simply be doing their diligence, or at worst, seeing if the prospect may be what others wanted. Fooled us. Too many threads on that already. Thanks for posting this article. Good read.

I think the point was the high level of security when there was briefly blown by Mitchell and somehow he/we got away with it. At least he knew better than to try and correct it at the time or ask for an edit etc.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
40908831.jpg

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember that report as well, when he rattled of a bunch of teams. A few days later, it was no longer the case when he dropped the Bears from other interviews.

Here's the vid. You have to know that he realized that he fucked up, kept his cool and moved on. Still fucked up. A minute or so in.
[video=youtube;Quthzkmcqrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quthzkmcqrg[/video]

I had actually convinced myself that the Bears were drafting Trubisky UNTIL the private meeting came out. My theory was that the Bears were purposely distancing themselves from Trubisky. So when the private workout was announced, my theory came into question. But then when Trubisky contradicted himself right before the draft, I thought something was up. And Chris Trapasso wins the award for best sources:

Chris Trapasso‏ @ChrisTrapasso

Source close to situation told me "#Bears have shown the most interest it Mitchell Trubisky." If #Browns want him, they have to pick him @ 1
2:55 PM · Apr 23, 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/856235218679857153

Insinuation was that #49ers don't like Trubisky enough to pick him @ 2. If #Browns don't draft him @ 1 source expects #Bears to pick him @ 3
3:01 PM · Apr 23, 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/856236580373233665

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
And Chris Trapasso wins the award for best sources:

Source close to situation told me "#Bears have shown the most interest it Mitchell Trubisky." If #Browns want him, they have to pick him @ 1

Insinuation was that #49ers don't like Trubisky enough to pick him @ 2. If #Browns don't draft him @ 1 source expects #Bears to pick him @ 3

This information and Jeremy Stoltz at Bear Report had me convinced that they were going to be going with Biscuit at 3. I didn't see the trade up coming, but I was all in on a QB in this draft and had agreed with Jeremy that Trubisky was the guy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I had actually convinced myself that the Bears were drafting Trubisky UNTIL the private meeting came out. My theory was that the Bears were purposely distancing themselves from Trubisky. So when the private workout was announced, my theory came into question. But then when Trubisky contradicted himself right before the draft, I thought something was up. And Chris Trapasso wins the award for best sources:

It was out there but really, you have to give Pace credit. There is so much misdirection by this staff before the draft that you don't know what's planted, real or just a nonstarter. That combined with how much nonsense gets reported by guys wanting scoops and clicks during the silly season, it seemed like no one took strong notice beyond Gabriel who strongly suggested we take a QB. He probably had a source but promised to not spill the entire can of beans. Seemed the local connections were onto something that didn't make it to Philly.

The glennon signing helped a lot.

FoCo

Liked Posts:

laputan

Liked Posts:
Mitch is so great, so many feel good stories.

Let's hope he doesn't make a start for a while so the dream lives on. Get our money's worth for 2 years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the point was the high level of security when there was briefly blown by Mitchell and somehow he/we got away with it. At least he knew better than to try and correct it at the time or ask for an edit etc.

We got away with it because of Glennon. It's not that no one knew the Bears were interested in these QBs. It was that for some odd reason the media and some Bears fans acted like Glennon rules out taking a QB at 3. There was a whole thread where people were arguing up and down that we wouldn't draft a QB at 3 because or Glennon.

How's his elbow?

Well didn't see any of the rookie minicamp so I'm assuming he still has a ways to go to clean up his mechanics including his elbow/shoulder motion.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well didn't see any of the rookie minicamp so I'm assuming he still has a ways to go to clean up his mechanics including his elbow/shoulder motion.

not

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

[video=youtube;bigvlT64xc8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigvlT64xc8&t=18s[/video]

These are not things you clean up in one rookie minicamp. Just about every prospect has mechanical flaws that need cleaning up. One of the biggest things you have to decide as a coaching staff is what mechanical flaws you can live with and which ones you want him to focus on cleaning up. The windows in the NFL are a lot tighter than college and just because his mechanics were good enough for college doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to work on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;vcGjrfHedis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGjrfHedis[/video]

And the video that explains why Trubisky's flaring elbow slows down his release to the point it's slower than the league average. If he fixes that flaw and it speeds up his release then he will be a better QB because it will get the ball to the WRs faster. And part of the reason Watson in the video was successful is that he has the quickest release which mitigates his slower velocity. Although his problem and why his velocity is down is because he throws flat footed.

So all these QBs have mechanical flaws so not sure why we should pretend they don't. You are the one that asked me about his elbow and I gave you legitimate reasons with support for why it's something he needs to work on. Not sure why that is an issue. It's like people don't want any legitimate discussion on Trubisky. They just want everyone to fawn over him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
[video=youtube;vcGjrfHedis]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGjrfHedis[/video]

And the video that explains why Trubisky's flaring elbow slows down his release to the point it's slower than the league average. If he fixes that flaw and it speeds up his release then he will be a better QB because it will get the ball to the WRs faster. And part of the reason Watson in the video was successful is that he has the quickest release which mitigates his slower velocity. Although his problem and why his velocity is down is because he throws flat footed.

So all these QBs have mechanical flaws so not sure why we should pretend they don't. You are the one that asked me about his elbow and I gave you legitimate reasons with support for why it's something he needs to work on. Not sure why that is an issue. It's like people don't want any legitimate discussion on Trubisky. They just want everyone to fawn over him.

The question in my mind is, is it significant enough to be worth fucking with an accurate passer's throwing mechanic and potentially affecting his accuracy by changing it?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This release time argument is moronic.

Here is an online stop watch: 0.060 aint shit. Try and stop it in 6/100ths of a second. Best I could do was 0.071. His ability to see the windows early and make accurate throws is infinitely more important than the difference of 0.06 seconds. Hence his 6 INT's to Watson's 17. If his mechanics get even better, great, but the vision and touch is an unteachable that he has in spades.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This release time argument is moronic.

Here is an online stop watch 0.060 aint shit. Try and stop it in 6/100ths of a second. Best I could do was 0.071. His ability to see the windows early and make accurate throws is infinitely more important than the difference of 0.06 seconds. Hence his 6 INT's to Watson's 17. If his mechanics get even better, great, but the vision and touch is an unteachable that he has in spades.

Basically my sentiment on the matter. Why even risk affecting his accuracy by changing his throwing mechanic to shave off hundredths of a second. Its not like his throwing mechanic is grossly incorrect.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The question in my mind is, is it significant enough to be worth fucking with an accurate passer's throwing mechanic and potentially affecting his accuracy by changing it?

Absolutely not and he can get it out quicker if he has to along with using varied arm angles which becomes difficult with a tight elbow. He's got a bit of a push throwing motion as well but I dance with who I brought to the dance.