Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-mitch-trubisky-bears-chicago-hope-spt-0521-20170519-story.html
Dan Wiederer
18-23 minutes

Admittedly, it was a small task. But in the pre-draft process, every minute detail counts. So on March 16, Bears general manager Ryan Pace found himself curious to see how Mitch Trubisky would handle a routine assignment.

A quintet of key Bears talent evaluators was headed to Chapel Hill, N.C., to visit Trubisky, the promising University of North Carolina quarterback. On the docket was a Friday morning workout to assess Trubisky's arm strength, athleticism and poise in person. But first, a traveling party that included Pace, coach John Fox, director of player personnel Josh Lucas, offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone requested dinner.

As Pace does with all such get-to-know-you dinners, he asked Trubisky to pick the restaurant and make the reservation. It's a minor request. But it often can be revealing of a player's reliability.

Pace also ordered Trubisky to keep the meeting top secret, so as not to tip off anyone — not any Tar Heels coaches or teammates, not any other NFL execs or agents, not even a campus meter maid — to the Bears' interest.

Trubisky took the directive and pieced things together.

Before Pace and his cohorts arrived on campus, the Bears GM had a text. Dinner at 7 p.m.

The venue: Bin 54, a top steakhouse in North Carolina's Triangle region. And to keep the gathering covert, Trubisky made the reservation for six under an alias: James McMahon.

"I thought that was cool," Pace says.

All of Trubisky's visitors from Chicago appreciated that touch. They took it as evidence of all they had been told about the 22-year-old quarterback never taking himself too seriously yet always focusing on the details.

"That told me he was prepared, that he did his homework," Loggains says. "You knew this moment wasn't too big for him. He still was having fun with it."

The Bears were too.

It's very much worth noting that their dinner-and-workout connection with Trubisky came during a critical four-day, three-stop quarterback mission that sandwiched the Chapel Hill stopover between trips to Clemson, S.C., and Lubbock, Texas, to size up Clemson's Deshaun Watson and Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes, respectively.

Talk about a pivotal road trip.

To be clear, the attraction to Trubisky as the potential savior to tug the franchise out of the quicksand of NFL mediocrity had started long before mid-March. For months, Pace had been convinced that Trubisky was the top quarterback in the draft. But for the longest time, he kept his evaluation to himself, not wanting to influence the assessments of his subordinates. Then, as the reports came trickling in — from area scout Chris Prescott, from national scout Ryan Kessenich, from college scouting director Mark Sadowski, from Lucas, from Loggains — the consensus energized Pace.

Still, over a 20-hour period during that field trip to Tobacco Road, the Bears put the finishing touches on their evaluation. For Pace, it was the culmination of what he admits had become a 10-month obsession with altering the Bears' frustrating quarterback history.

"The most important position in all of sports," Pace says. "And I don't think you're ever a great team until you address the position and you address it right." 
Good first impression

The off-campus dinner with Trubisky went exactly as the Bears hoped. Upon arrival, the McMahon party was ushered to Bin 54's secluded Wine Cellar for privacy, another Trubisky touch the Bears appreciated.

For more than two hours, with steaks all around and a couple of bottles of red wine open, the Bears probed to see if Trubisky's personality would mesh.

Pace wanted to gain a better sense for what made Trubisky tick. He listened to the young quarterback describe his upbringing in Mentor, Ohio, and his deep bond with his parents and three siblings. As the Bears GM made mental notes, that supportive, sturdy family dynamic resonated.

It had been a buoy for Trubisky throughout 2014 and 2015 when he was anchored in a backup role behind entrenched starter Marquise Williams. Through two seasons during which he saw the field only for emergency work or mop-up duty, Trubisky vacillated between frustrated and discouraged and ultra-motivated.

Through it all, his family kept him focused on his goals rather than his self-pity.

"Really," Trubisky says, "I would turn to myself, look at myself in the mirror and continue to believe in my dream."

Pace appreciated how Trubisky's natural confidence emanated. With NFL adversity inevitable, Pace also knew it was important that Trubisky had reliable outlets to steady him during the turbulence.

"And the way he was raised," Pace says, "he's not full of himself. He's more about his team and sharing the glory."

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
...Over dinner, Loggains and Ragone pushed for a sense of Trubisky's football acumen. Though with Fox in his endearing and lively social state, the coordinator and quarterbacks coach had to find openings in the conversation.

"Five-on-one with Foxy can be hard," Loggains says. "He's the life of the party. You'll be sitting there like, 'OK, Foxy's starting to feel it.' A couple times it was, 'Coach, stop talking. We need Mitchell to talk.'"

Trubisky detailed his football study habits, expressing an ambitious vision for the preparation workload he would be willing to take on as either a backup or a starter.

Around the table, each of the Bears representatives made note of the quarterback's vim. With no professional success or failure to cloud his vision, Trubisky didn't seem to have an ounce of bitterness or skepticism or fatigue to him. He seemed all-trusting, innocent almost. It was refreshing.

Trubisky viewed his NFL career as a blank canvas with an infectious eagerness to get the paints out.

When the dinner ended, Pace and Fox walked Trubisky to the parking lot. It was then that Trubisky first revealed his wheels: the now-renowned beige 1997 Toyota Camry with the odometer north of 130,000.

For whatever reason, Pace was charmed instantly, convinced the ride offered insight into Trubisky's grounded nature.

"Keep that thing, man," Pace told Trubisky. "Seriously. Don't ever change. Stay true to who you are."

Loggains interjected.

"Bro," he quipped. "You're about to be an NFL quarterback. You can't drive that. Go get yourself an Escalade, a Range Rover, something new."

With that, Trubisky drove off, wondering if his Camry ultimately would wind up in Chicago.
Hiding in plain sight

Technically, it's accurate to call the Bears' on-field work with Trubisky the next morning a "private" workout — but only so long as the quotation marks remain. After all, with Pace unwilling to clue in anyone within the Tar Heels football program to the Bears' presence, the session was away from the football facilities, at North Carolina's Ehringhaus Field, the public intramural complex down a hill from the Tar Heels' baseball stadium.

So as Trubisky fired comeback darts to Tar Heels receiver Ryan Switzer and deep crosses to Bug Howard and up-the-seam touch passes to former tight end Jack Tabb, a women's lacrosse practice was underway on the adjacent field.

On one of their most important mornings of the pre-draft process, the Bears were hiding in plain sight.

At one point, Pace approached the father of one of the lacrosse players who seemed to be sizing up the workout.

"Are you guys with the Dallas Cowboys?" the man asked.

Indeed, Pace told him.

And what about that silver-haired coach across the way? "Is that Paul Pasqualoni?"

No doubt, Pace agreed.

"I didn't lie to the dude," the Bears GM says. "I just went with what he thought."

Pace was too paranoid to share the truth, that it was actually Fox keeping a close eye on the workout and that Pasqualoni hadn't coached with the Cowboys since 2010.

For close to 90 minutes, Loggains ran his scripted workout. It was fast-paced and aimed to strain Trubisky mentally as much as possible. The Bears coordinator peppered Trubisky with coverage scenarios, asking him to make quick reads and good decisions.

"I went through the day as if I was a Bears quarterback," Trubisky says.

Through it all, Pace appreciated how unfazed Trubisky appeared and how much mutual enthusiasm flowed between the quarterback and his teammates.

"He was having a good time. You could tell," Pace says. "Instead of this nervous, intense vibe, it was more of an energetic deal."

The Bears knew from their film study that Trubisky had impressive arm strength and an ability to make what Pace calls "funny body throws," pinpointing passes without his feet set, when he was under duress or on the move. In the private workout?

"It validated what we saw on film," Ragone says. "No, there weren't 22 guys out there. But when you're standing next to a guy and he's going through a drill and you're watching him throw, you can feel it. Just, hey, it looks like it did on film."

Already, the Bears have hyped Trubisky's accuracy as an elite attribute that makes him NFL ready. Throughout his 447 passes last season, the tape consistently shows Trubisky's passes arriving on the money....

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
...To be clear, the other two quarterbacks selected later in the first round impressed Pace.

Mahomes' "ridiculous arm talent" and knack for firing Roethlisberger-like bullets with two and three defenders hanging off of him wowed Pace.

In Watson, Pace identified a charismatic leader who energized his teammates and played well in so many pressure-packed moments.

But he kept seeing Trubisky's film running on a loop in his head. He would envision the way Trubisky used his athleticism to extend plays and his eyes to find open targets downfield. He felt certain Trubisky had the IQ to process NFL coverages.

And he had seen the poise the young quarterback consistently showed in "a noisy pocket when things are collapsing."

Add in Trubisky's leadership ability and work ethic and Pace was sold. Similar scouting reports from so many trusted colleagues only reinforced his confidence.

If Fox was slower to jump aboard, he since has felt reassured.

Fox's nine years as Panthers coach in Charlotte offer him a multitude of connections to North Carolina boosters, alumni and players. He has heard repeatedly about how good of a teammate Trubisky has been, how driven and resilient and steady he was for four years in Chapel Hill.

"For me, what separates people, when you get down to it, is their grit," Fox says. "The guys who really make it, they just never give up. That grit factor with Mitch, for me, is valuable.

"I know what he went through in Chapel Hill. And I know how he handled it. Like water off a duck. Just rolled right off his back. To me, it says a lot about him. How it transfers, who knows?"

Despite all the outside questions about Trubisky's inexperience after only 13 college starts, Fox wants to see the glass as half-full.

"If he would have stayed in school, he would be the first pick in the draft next year," the Bears coach says. "So why not get him started early? Truly."

If the Bears are lucky, their best-case scenario will be realized.

"I'm kind of hoping he's like a 22-year-old Drew Brees," Fox says. "But I can't predict that. If I could, I'd be at a racetrack somewhere. I'd be betting trifectas."

Truth is, no one can say with certainty what Trubisky will turn out to be, whether his career will be more Matt Ryan or more Matt Leinart.

In the days after the draft, Pace took a pulse of the widespread reaction. It's not that he was entirely surprised by the criticism. Just that he was struck by it.

Wasn't this an organization that had seen 20 quarterbacks make at least one start in the 21st century? Wasn't this a football-crazed city that experienced one measly playoff appearance during Jay Cutler's eight seasons at the controls?

Wasn't this a franchise that hadn't had a Pro Bowl quarterback since, yep, James Robert McMahon in 1985?

How, then, could there be such indignation about a confident and calculated attempt to get things right?

Pace knows the risk he took. If Trubisky flames out, the GM will be incinerated alongside him.

But Pace kept having the same inner-monologue. Sure, he could have aimed for caution. He easily could have taken a strong defensive playmaker at No. 3, filled a need and soaked in the praise for making a "safe pick." And maybe, Pace told himself, with such a move, the Bears could have made steps quicker back toward the middle of the league.

But that's not the end goal, to be striving for the 9-7 rung on the NFL ladder. Pace's grand vision involves a return to the Super Bowl.

A prerequisite for that, he knows, is landing a stud quarterback. Without one, he says, "you're a ship without a sail."

Hours after selecting Trubisky and six weeks after their visit in North Carolina, Pace sat at a dais, readying to explain one of the most meaningful moments in Bears draft history.

...Mitch Trubisky was the new face of the franchise.

"There are times when you have to be aggressive," Pace said. "And when you have conviction on a guy, you can't sit on your hands. I just don't want to be average around here. I want to be great. And these are the moves you have to make."

One way or another, that move and those words will define Pace until the end of his time in Chicago.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When the dinner ended, Pace and Fox walked Trubisky to the parking lot. It was then that Trubisky first revealed his wheels: the now-renowned beige 1997 Toyota Camry with the odometer north of 130,000.

For whatever reason, Pace was charmed instantly, convinced the ride offered insight into Trubisky's grounded nature.

"Keep that thing, man," Pace told Trubisky. "Seriously. Don't ever change. Stay true to who you are."

Loggains interjected.

"Bro," he quipped. "You're about to be an NFL quarterback. You can't drive that. Go get yourself an Escalade, a Range Rover, something new."

With that, Trubisky drove off, wondering if his Camry ultimately would wind up in Chicago.
Hiding in plain sight

Godamnit Loggains you fucking moran

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks. I think his headiness, confirmation of work ethic and personality with teammates is what sealed the deal. He doesn't come across as super confident with the media but I bet he owns them in a couple years. Seems in complete control around his mates and on the field.

Also like this and it's was something I was pointing out a lot before the draft, mostly to deaf ears.

The Bears knew from their film study that Trubisky had impressive arm strength and an ability to make what Pace calls "funny body throws," pinpointing passes without his feet set, when he was under duress or on the move. In the private workout?

"It validated what we saw on film," Ragone says. "No, there weren't 22 guys out there. But when you're standing next to a guy and he's going through a drill and you're watching him throw, you can feel it. Just, hey, it looks like it did on film."

Already, the Bears have hyped Trubisky's accuracy as an elite attribute that makes him NFL ready. Throughout his 447 passes last season, the tape consistently shows Trubisky's passes arriving on the money.

To be clear, Loggains emphasizes, Trubisky's completion percentage — .680 in 2016 — doesn't do justice to his special accuracy.

"It's all about ball placement," Loggains says. "If you're running a shallow cross and the ball's thrown (low and at your back hip), that may be a completion. Great. But now compare it to a throw that's (on the bull's-eye.) All of a sudden 6 yards becomes 22. That's what Mitch has. I don't think that can be taught."

Posters always talk about things getting better with mechanics, work etc but really, you can't teach that body throw that has Rodgers killing the league. Inherent accuracy and placement is just that and you can't always throw in rhythm. In the NFL, there are days that you can't more often than you can. One thing that has set Wilson, Rodgers, Brees etc apart is that ability to avoid a rush while still being very accurate when they can set. Pocket passers that can pull a rabbit out of their hat when they need to. Mitchell isn't them until he does it on an NFL field but he has that DNA. He's got the nature and seems an easy guy to nurture.

The rap on Trubisky's deep accuracy and 'elbow' that I've read here over the past couple weeks are simply bullshit IMO.

The idea that Pace would have only selected Mitchell is also silly. He was the only one he would have selected at 3.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Great story! Kudos to Pace for targeting his guy and getting it done. Pace's legacy will be based on how this pick works out. I like the fact he had the balls to make a big move. High risk - high reward.

JordanHoward24

Liked Posts:
This story can't be true. Fox was not involved in the draft process for Trubisky we've been told...
Not true, the reports said that Fox hadn't known the plans to trade up until 90 minutes before the draft. Fox had known of interest in drafting Trubisky.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Pace also ordered Trubisky to keep the meeting top secret, so as not to tip off anyone — not any Tar Heels coaches or teammates, not any other NFL execs or agents, not even a campus meter maid — to the Bears' interest.

Trubisky took the directive and pieced things together.

Before Pace and his cohorts arrived on campus, the Bears GM had a text. Dinner at 7 p.m.

The venue: Bin 54, a top steakhouse in North Carolina's Triangle region. And to keep the gathering covert, Trubisky made the reservation for six under an alias: James McMahon.

Reservation for James McMahon
Shows humor, understanding of team history, ability to follow direction and ability to feed the supreme meatballs" in 4 short words.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Lol at the James McMahon reservation.
Only way to make it more meatball is if he had made the reservation for 9 at 9PM.
giphy.gif

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Says Loggains: "People are shouting out, 'Coach Fox! We love you! You were the best coach the Panthers ever had!'"
Fox would grin and nudge his traveling companions.
"See!" he would say. "They love me here!"

"Five-on-one with Foxy can be hard," Loggains says. "He's the life of the party. You'll be sitting there like, 'OK, Foxy's starting to feel it.' A couple times it was, 'Coach, stop talking. We need Mitchell to talk.'"
--

Had no idea Fox is a self absorbed chatterbox.

Bort

Liked Posts:

Pace deserves credit for specifically identifying this as one of Trubisky's best strengths.

This is exactly what stood out to me when watching film on Trubisky. He does a great job of delivering good, accurate passes even when he's off balance or forced to wing the ball sidearm while on the move.