The problem with drafting TRUBS............ TRUBS is a 1 hit wonder

Jawbreaker

Liked Posts:
I know this won't be popular on this board because it appears that many on this board have already anointed TRUBS the next great QB in the NFL without him ever taking an NFL snap. For those people I challenge you to step back, jump off the band wagon for a second, and look at the facts.
Besides questions about Trubs leadership ability (my main concern).... the article below is points out the primary concern with drafting a 1 hit wonder...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-make-one-great-draft-mysteries-recent-years

There are all kinds of problems with judging quarterbacks after a limited number of pass attempts. You don't get much insight into their ability to avoid injuries. You don't get to see how opposing defenses adjust to them over the course of an offseason or how they improve on the weaker elements of their game from the previous year. In every aspect of how they perform and how they account for opposing defenses, you're stuck looking at tape over a dangerously small sample.

Think about professional quarterbacks such as Nick Foles and Josh McCown, two guys who were incredible in 2013. They combined to throw 40 touchdowns against three picks over a 541-pass sample. Over the remainder of their professional careers, Foles and McCown have thrown 95 touchdowns against 92 interceptions and performed like replaceable backup passers. If Foles and McCown were college quarterbacks in 2013 and left after their one breakout season of tape, they would have been top-three picks. We've seen quarterbacks such as Brian Brohm and Matt Leinart fall out of the top three by sticking in school and revealing themselves to be less effective passers on tape. With Trubisky, what we've seen is good, but we haven't seen much.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know this won't be popular on this board because it appears that many on this board have already anointed TRUBS the next great QB in the NFL without him ever taking an NFL snap. For those people I challenge you to step back, jump off the band wagon for a second, and look at the facts.
Besides questions about Trubs leadership ability (my main concern).... the article below is points out the primary concern with drafting a 1 hit wonder...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...e-make-one-great-draft-mysteries-recent-years

There are all kinds of problems with judging quarterbacks after a limited number of pass attempts. You don't get much insight into their ability to avoid injuries. You don't get to see how opposing defenses adjust to them over the course of an offseason or how they improve on the weaker elements of their game from the previous year. In every aspect of how they perform and how they account for opposing defenses, you're stuck looking at tape over a dangerously small sample.

Think about professional quarterbacks such as Nick Foles and Josh McCown, two guys who were incredible in 2013. They combined to throw 40 touchdowns against three picks over a 541-pass sample. Over the remainder of their professional careers, Foles and McCown have thrown 95 touchdowns against 92 interceptions and performed like replaceable backup passers. If Foles and McCown were college quarterbacks in 2013 and left after their one breakout season of tape, they would have been top-three picks. We've seen quarterbacks such as Brian Brohm and Matt Leinart fall out of the top three by sticking in school and revealing themselves to be less effective passers on tape. With Trubisky, what we've seen is good, but we haven't seen much.

He can't be a 1 hit wonder till his next attempt fails. You shit examples are guys who played well and then failed.

No one has anointed anyone.

Fuck off and let him play 1 snap.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

few have anointed him....most are hopeful...

It is a lot different than automatically calling him a failure...

You don't really understand college scouting....I would stop making statements that hint at simply having great stats would make someone a top 3 pick.....look at every single draft and you would see how ridiculously wrong you are about this.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
College pass attempts:

Rodgers 665
Tom Brady 638
Carson Wentz 612
Alex Smith 587
Mitchell Trubisky 572
Michael Vick 343
Cameron Newton 292

Those 93 extra pass attempts are the difference between the HOF and being a bust.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barnwell's point about him not being able to beat out an UDFA is epicly moronic.

Most UNC players have said that Trubisky was better.

Marquise Williams had the team rolling, was 2 years older and here is the real kicker for people who cannot use Google, Williams is from one of the most important high schools in NC recruiting. Maybe, just maybe Larry Fedora didn't want to piss off his most important recruiting school.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also shove the McCown and Foles comparisons they are absolute hot garbage.

McCown was a 3rd round pick from Sam Houston St who was a career backup and had failed so badly in the NFL that he was teaching GYM when the Bears called him. He caught fire and teams ignored a DECADE of garbage film and signed him to idiotic contracts.

Foles also a 3rd round career backup who caught fire in a SYSTEM that teams had not seen before. The SYSTEM produced the stats and when people figured out the system Foles failed. The Rams traded for a system QB, which was so idiotic.

Neither of these guys have an ounce of Trubisky's athletic ability or physical tools.

If you want to take guys who lack the required physical tools to be top end NFL starters of who have failed multiple times to do so and combine that with limited sample size of course you are going to see a lot of failure.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Barnwell is parroting the media narratives that have been getting clicks. He did the same with his review of the Bears offseason.

The truth is that multiple NFL teams were trying to trade up for Trubisky.

Cleveland
KC
NO

All have been connected to Trubisky and 2/3 are run by guys who are the premiere QB experts in the NFL. If the media can't rap their head around that at this point I don't know what to tell you

Rant over.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Barnwell's point about him not being able to beat out an UDFA is epicly moronic.

Marquise Williams had the team rolling, was 2 years older and here is the real kicker for people who cannot use Google, Williams is from one of the most important high schools in NC recruiting. Maybe, just maybe Larry Fedora didn't want to piss off his most important recruiting school.

Remydat has already gone over this at least twice. Williams didn't fuck up enough to lose his job and Fedora was not willing to risk losing games developing Trubisky when he was in position to be competing for Bowls with Williams at the helm. Simple as that. He also probably expected Trubisky to play for more than one season. Which honestly after being benched for as long as Trubisky was, I say Mitch made the right choice in sending the message of that is what you get for keeping me on the bench until Williams was gone. The polite fuck you, I'm out.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Williams started his second year mainly to politics

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Also the receivers begged for Trubs to start

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Trubisky had limited physic tools and also 13 starts I would be concerned.

But he is upper echelon physical tools, which means the Bears just need to get him experience.

Experience is the easiest thing to give.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am so tired of these short sighted hatchet jobs by these national clowns.

If I hear "didn't they sign Mike Glennon to big money" one more time I am going to climb the bell tower.

The Glennon move is pure genius.

1. He is the only veteran QB who actually provides enough intrigue and upside to keep fans engaged.
2. He is young and could have trade value
3. He allowed you to be picky about the QB you took in the draft

For 18.5 million that is a steal.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Trubisky had limited physic tools and also 13 starts I would be concerned.

But he is upper echelon physical tools, which means the Bears just need to get him experience.

Experience is the easiest thing to give.

Exactly why he needs to play this season.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a difference between supporting a player and anointing him.

I'm excited for his potential and look forward to reading about his progress. That's more fun to me than digging up every negative article and telling people "see I told you he sucks!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laputan

Liked Posts:
Mitch Trubisky is Kris Bryant -- the golden fleece who will save this franchise.

The 2017 Bears season should be written off as "preparation" for his development and the greatness to come with only Mitch's preseason games televised nationally.

Auto-ban for anyone that dares question his 10 out of 13 game greatness or obvious lack of leadership skills.

Self-ban in my case.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barnwell is parroting the media narratives that have been getting clicks. He did the same with his review of the Bears offseason.

The truth is that multiple NFL teams were trying to trade up for Trubisky.

Cleveland
KC
NO

All have been connected to Trubisky and 2/3 are run by guys who are the premiere QB experts in the NFL. If the media can't rap their head around that at this point I don't know what to tell you

Rant over.

The problem with your rant is that 99% of this message board is pro Trubisky. The other 1%, or 3 posters, say something negative about Trubisky, and someone replies with a post which ridicules them, which in turn gets that post about 30 thanks. Rinse and repeat. You are getting yourself worked up over nothing.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not anointing him for anything, but I am not the coaches so that doesnt really matter. Just be patient and let him earn his way onto the field before judging him. Most on here, at least, are being hopeful that he will be a difference maker for the team. That's just what fans do.

Part of the reason that there are fewer instances of one-year starting QBs making it in the pros is because so few QBs get a chance to start to begin with, where guys with longer resumes end up getting more opportunities to play. To your point, one-year college starters carry more risk than others, yeah, but there are examples of guys succeeding in the pros in such circumstances too. Cam Newton was a one year starter, as the article pointed out. Kurt Warner was too, and look at how he turned out.

I would certainly be interested in a chart of the success rate of QBs based on how many years they played in college (where successful means a QB who was signed to a second contract and continued to play at a high level throughout it). Either way, given that most QBs amount to little or nothing, why not sit back and be hopeful that the guy ends up being a capable starter for us?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It was the WRs not most players that wanted Trubiksy because Trubiksy was the better pure passer.

Williams was the better choice from the perspective of being more experienced, a more vocal leader, and a better runner as his 948 yards on the ground gave UNC more balance.

The recruiting thing had pretty much zero influence IMO. You don't start an inexperienced guy over an incumbent who was one of the best QBs in the conference when you are competing for a national title. Too big a risk as 2 losses and your title hope are over. UNC was a NC contender. Williams was the right choice hands down.

In any event I don't know why people keep bringing it up as it's been addressed countless times by Trubiksy and Fedora. It sucked for Trubiksy but at the end of the day he handled it like a professional and played well when he finally got his chance which is all you can ask for.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remydat has already gone over this at least twice. Williams didn't fuck up enough to lose his job and Fedora was not willing to risk losing games developing Trubisky when he was in position to be competing for Bowls with Williams at the helm. Simple as that. He also probably expected Trubisky to play for more than one season. Which honestly after being benched for as long as Trubisky was, I say Mitch made the right choice in sending the message of that is what you get for keeping me on the bench until Williams was gone. The polite fuck you, I'm out.

I don't think Trubiksy was giving Fedora a polite fuck you at all. There is no scenario where given the buzz he was receiving that he should have stayed in college and Fedora supported his decision wholeheartedly.

It's good for recruiting for recruits to see Trubiksy as the No 2 pick in the whole draft and Fedora has already been using Trubiksy getting drafted on the recruiting trail. Heels got former LSU QB Brandon Harris to transfer in part because of Harris seeing how Trubiksy performed at Carolina.

EL ROCKSTEADY

CBMB Refugee
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

More QBs than not with a lot of good tape that horribly flopped. its a risk any way your slice it.