Line ideas: 2017-18

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This latest rumor of the hawks pushing the knights to take TVR and Krueger, one picked, one traded makes no sense. TVR was the one d man that actually played last year. Sounds like they are selling future yet again. Krueger can go either way, Kero can cover his spot now. At least we dont have to hear about Kruegers visa issues yet again and missing time in chicago.

Even if the cap increases to 77M, they have to dump some cap. Kruger in terms of price and production is going to be it. The 'hawks have to play that out in terms of how to either get the most value or the least negative value--and there is a chance a 3.5M bottom-6 center will have negative value.

I disagree with TVR being the only one playing defense. Hjammer was the one carrying the D yet again. However, your point was indeed taken that TVR was a not-as-dark spot on D. However, the 'hawks have a choice: Expose TVR, or expose Panik and Hartman. TVR may have played like a decent enough 3/4 last season, but he is not worth losing 19+ goals.

It depends on whether or not Vegas bites. They take Kruger off of our hands, and we expose TVR for them. If hey aren't willing the play ball and we trade TVR elsewhere and the *only* player worth a squirt of piss we'd expose would be Kruger.

Plus, we got Kempny, Forsling, possibly Gustaffson, possibly Pokka, and possibly that Czech d-man we're close to signing. The only way they'd be selling the future is if they resigned Campbell or Oduya to anything over 1M--and more than one of those two.

And it's not like 3 of those 4 rookies, plus an incoming bottom-6 D asset are going to destroy the D as-is. The D is already FUBAR mostly because of our two A's.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I presume Bickel's entire downfall was his illness.... but imagine if he had not gotten sick, never had the disease.

Damn what he coulda been for us the last few years.... im hoping Hayden fills that void.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I presume Bickel's entire downfall was his illness.... but imagine if he had not gotten sick, never had the disease.

Damn what he coulda been for us the last few years.... im hoping Hayden fills that void.

It's more disappointing then Daze's career ending back issues. I wish both players nothing but the best

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:

Yeah Bickell's decline was shocking until his diagnosis later. At one point they thought he had vertigo. He literally could not play over night. Obviously now it all makes sense.

It's sad - hockey players already have a shorter life expectancy. This certainly won't help. And in the cap era it killed us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Even if the cap increases to 77M, they have to dump some cap. Kruger in terms of price and production is going to be it. The 'hawks have to play that out in terms of how to either get the most value or the least negative value--and there is a chance a 3.5M bottom-6 center will have negative value.

I disagree with TVR being the only one playing defense. Hjammer was the one carrying the D yet again. However, your point was indeed taken that TVR was a not-as-dark spot on D. However, the 'hawks have a choice: Expose TVR, or expose Panik and Hartman. TVR may have played like a decent enough 3/4 last season, but he is not worth losing 19+ goals.

It depends on whether or not Vegas bites. They take Kruger off of our hands, and we expose TVR for them. If hey aren't willing the play ball and we trade TVR elsewhere and the *only* player worth a squirt of piss we'd expose would be Kruger.

Plus, we got Kempny, Forsling, possibly Gustaffson, possibly Pokka, and possibly that Czech d-man we're close to signing. The only way they'd be selling the future is if they resigned Campbell or Oduya to anything over 1M--and more than one of those two.

And it's not like 3 of those 4 rookies, plus an incoming bottom-6 D asset are going to destroy the D as-is. The D is already FUBAR mostly because of our two A's.

We got the d man, seems like Ulf might have been tied to him so lets see if they actually sign Ulf now that they got the prize. Its a one year deal so he can go right away.

I get your point and cannot disagree. My problem is they barely give any of these guys a long enough look, there is always a veteran they want instead. Point being dressing 7 instead of sitting Oduya that last game. They need to play to get the experience and that means ups and downs. When TVR was solid as the 5 last year, he had a different partner every game. Rosie might have gone 3 or 5 in a row, but then it was a round robin.

As far as hammer, d zone is great until he has to backhand everything out because he plays the wrong side. I can maybe remember a dozen passes he got out right on the stick to a forward, otherwise it flutters down the ice for them to chase, most often just dumped right back in by the d men on the blue line. Thats the whole game not just his balls needing skates.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We got the d man, seems like Ulf might have been tied to him so lets see if they actually sign Ulf now that they got the prize. Its a one year deal so he can go right away.

I get your point and cannot disagree. My problem is they barely give any of these guys a long enough look, there is always a veteran they want instead. Point being dressing 7 instead of sitting Oduya that last game. They need to play to get the experience and that means ups and downs. When TVR was solid as the 5 last year, he had a different partner every game. Rosie might have gone 3 or 5 in a row, but then it was a round robin.

As far as hammer, d zone is great until he has to backhand everything out because he plays the wrong side. I can maybe remember a dozen passes he got out right on the stick to a forward, otherwise it flutters down the ice for them to chase, most often just dumped right back in by the d men on the blue line. Thats the whole game not just his balls needing skates.

Hjammer having an errant clearing pass since he plays opposite side is far less of an issue than Keith regularly blowing coverage, staying out of the passing/shooting lanes, and passing it right to the opposition (I would mention his shin-seeking point shot which usually leads to an odd-man rush, but that's well documented).

We'll see how this coming season goes. If we still try to play a D gameplan that's 7 years past it's use-by date, I think we'll go nowhere again and heads will roll.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Hjammer having an errant clearing pass since he plays opposite side is far less of an issue than Keith regularly blowing coverage, staying out of the passing/shooting lanes, and passing it right to the opposition (I would mention his shin-seeking point shot which usually leads to an odd-man rush, but that's well documented).

We'll see how this coming season goes. If we still try to play a D gameplan that's 7 years past it's use-by date, I think we'll go nowhere again and heads will roll.

It just makes sense to me that if you have Hammer, Keith and Seabrook, then each one should get a partner and stick to it. Keith always had either hammer or seabrook. I dont care the errant passing, its the lack of getting the puck where the skill guys can handle around the defenders. Last year when KEith was out Sved basically took his spot with a good partner and made plays. Hammer popping the puck past the forwards to chase is not an advantage this team has. Yeah, I have problems with Keith, down 2 or 3 goals with 3:30 left in the third and he retreats waiting for a change. He should be able to control the puck in an attack mode not back tracking to set up a 30 second rush when the opposition are playing 5 across at their blue line.

All we hear is TVR is out, Rutta is in, my bet is at least two more past tense vets are added.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It just makes sense to me that if you have Hammer, Keith and Seabrook, then each one should get a partner and stick to it. Keith always had either hammer or seabrook. I dont care the errant passing, its the lack of getting the puck where the skill guys can handle around the defenders. Last year when KEith was out Sved basically took his spot with a good partner and made plays. Hammer popping the puck past the forwards to chase is not an advantage this team has. Yeah, I have problems with Keith, down 2 or 3 goals with 3:30 left in the third and he retreats waiting for a change. He should be able to control the puck in an attack mode not back tracking to set up a 30 second rush when the opposition are playing 5 across at their blue line.

All we hear is TVR is out, Rutta is in, my bet is at least two more past tense vets are added.
Christ, Allah, and Odin I hope not...Maybe get 1 vet who isn't Rosie and let the kids play; they can't be worse than Campbell and Oduya were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Campbell wasn't bad when he played in a 3rd D role with TVR but if they're adding a Vet D another offensive LD is the opposite of what they need, they have plenty of prospects(still including Kepmny, Forsling, Gus) in all that role.

The real struggle is Hjammer has had no partner to set him up in the shutdown role away from Keith.

If somehow they didn't lose TVR he might be ready to try that spot and it'd make a good potential shift of pairs.

If they somehow got a vet D that'd be the hope but hoping it wasn't someone destroyed like Oduya

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Good chance that Campbell is a member of the Blackhawks next year...in the front office somewhere. He wants to play another year but not looking like the Blackhawks are going to be the team that gives him that chance on the ice.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Good chance that Campbell is a member of the Blackhawks next year...in the front office somewhere. He wants to play another year but not looking like the Blackhawks are going to be the team that gives him that chance on the ice.

Possibly, but I'm thinking more along the lines of TV. He's been seen more than a few times before last season doing CSN hockey related stuff. I know he wants to stay in Chicago....CSN could be a good fit for him. I doubt he will play again unless it's with the Hawks.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He could play for the Wolves if he wants. I'm sure Vegas would be cool with it not like they have A lot of talent yet for the team

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My die hard Toronto buddy says the rumor of Seabs to the Leafs is picking up steam...and that the Hawks will have to sweeten the deal to dump his lengthy contract

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I'd do it for a next seasons 1st and Connor Carrick

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
My die hard Toronto buddy says the rumor of Seabs to the Leafs is picking up steam...and that the Hawks will have to sweeten the deal to dump his lengthy contract

This is the move we need. If Darling agreed to something in the 3 million range it probably would have been crawford. I just cant believe both Seabs and TVR will be moved on this team struggling to find Righty d men.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He could play for the Wolves if he wants. I'm sure Vegas would be cool with it not like they have A lot of talent yet for the team

I know Murray stuck around with the wolves to stay in chicago, but there has been alot of hate with the hawks and wolves. I wish they would make up and move the rockford team here and get the st louis team out of town. I just dont know if selling tickets for the wolves would end up hurting an eventual tv job with the hawks.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is the move we need. If Darling agreed to something in the 3 million range it probably would have been crawford. I just cant believe both Seabs and TVR will be moved on this team struggling to find Righty d men.

Yeah Crawford was merely average after his hot start. If they can find a decently priced goalie, they should dump him in a heartbeat. Seabs was just a terrible contract when you look at the length.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah Crawford was merely average after his hot start. If they can find a decently priced goalie, they should dump him in a heartbeat. Seabs was just a terrible contract when you look at the length.
Good luck finding a decently priced netminder who could play behind the clusterfuck we call a D, much less carry it into the playoffs like Crawford did in 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm in agreement with LordK, you really won't find that guy. You may find a cheaper goalie but after a while of watching that shitshow you'll be wishing you had kept Crow.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Goaltending wasn't much of an issue last year and while Crawford's contract at one point was pretty gaudy...it's pretty much in line with what he provides right now. The Hawks defense which not all that long ago was skilled, quick and mobile and while they did little hitting and crease protection...they always seemed to find a way to get the puck out of danger. Now....the skills are eroding and they are no longer quick or mobile....they are now slow and they still don't hit or protect the crease. That is where the trouble lies...and it is a very large trouble spot.