Otani Scouting report for those who care

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was reading on it. I doubt he goes to a NL team and will hold any team to a DH agreement. Some teams will back off due to injury risk. That would be dumb IMO.

I'm predicting he lands on NYY personally.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
For me, it's more logical that he goes to NL team, because pitchers actually play as hitters there, and not a single legit Playoffs contender wouldn't play their TOR pitcher as a day to day hitter (for example DH in AL) because that would take a toll on them from pitching standpoint.

So Dodgers or Cubs are more likely to get Otani, than AL teams like Red Sox or Yankees, at least IMO.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For me, it's more logical that he goes to NL team, because pitchers actually play as hitters there, and not a single legit Playoffs contender wouldn't play their TOR pitcher as a day to day hitter (for example DH in AL) because that would take a toll on them from pitching standpoint.

So Dodgers or Cubs are more likely to get Otani, than AL teams like Red Sox or Yankees, at least IMO.

Really? So he will go from 320 AB's to 115 plus some PH's.

Really?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If anything a AL team will look at it as a league min covering a MOR and DH. Seeing how a MOR goes for 15 mil and a DH 10 mil that is pretty outstanding

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'd play him in field everyday and if needed use him as a reliever..
This way hed get to hit every game and pitch every other game if needed.

His arm would be loose from tossing between innings on the field.

That way too, and team would be able to keep an extra reliever or hitter on team

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'd play him in field everyday and if needed use him as a reliever..
This way hed get to hit every game and pitch every other game if needed.

His arm would be loose from tossing between innings on the field.

That way too, and team would be able to keep an extra reliever or hitter on team

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

He has a 70 rated fastball and a 70 rated split. His slider rated at 65-70. He can use his split as a change up off speed.

I get trying to find a way to think him on the Cubs but the way the Cubs should approach it is the 2 top destinations are the Yankees and the Rangers. Both teams are losing contract and would be fighting over him. So at that point Theo and Jed should target Darvish while the Rangers are focused elsewhere. Offer him a mega deal and slot him as the staff ace. At that point target Holland who also hits F/A. That sets up the rotation for years.

There is too much square block/round hole going on trying to make it work. He is doing it right now in Japan. So it is not like he is attempting something new. If anything teams will let him stick to his routeen.

As a position player/BP arm it works in x2 switches like they did with wood but you are losing value in him in a spot start situation.

At the end of the day his bat is a 7. As a starter he is a 9. You just have more team value as a starter. Him picking up some games as a DH is just bonus. He would be a good LH DH option on his available days. That way a AL team could stack the line up to the left.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
When thinking about using a starting pitcher as an everyday hitter (be that LF or DH), you gotta ask yourselves, when was the last time that kind of experiment happened and succeeded in modern MLB (think past '60s).

And also, you gotta ask yourselves would any MLB team be willing to risk injury/fatigue to their (potentially) TOR starter, just so he can play as an everyday hitter.

Therefore, at least IMO, best compromise for Otani would be for him to go to NL team (where pitchers actually hit).

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He has a 70 rated fastball and a 70 rated split. His slider rated at 65-70. He can use his split as a change up off speed.

I get trying to find a way to think him on the Cubs but the way the Cubs should approach it is the 2 top destinations are the Yankees and the Rangers. Both teams are losing contract and would be fighting over him. So at that point Theo and Jed should target Darvish while the Rangers are focused elsewhere. Offer him a mega deal and slot him as the staff ace. At that point target Holland who also hits F/A. That sets up the rotation for years.

There is too much square block/round hole going on trying to make it work. He is doing it right now in Japan. So it is not like he is attempting something new. If anything teams will let him stick to his routeen.

As a position player/BP arm it works in x2 switches like they did with wood but you are losing value in him in a spot start situation.

At the end of the day his bat is a 7. As a starter he is a 9. You just have more team value as a starter. Him picking up some games as a DH is just bonus. He would be a good LH DH option on his available days. That way a AL team could stack the line up to the left.
I don't care where he ends up..
Whoever gets him probably ends up paying a shit load of money for a guy we have no clue how he going to play in the states and in MLB.
Just saying how I'd take advantage of his ability if he were on my team..

I actually like your suggestion..
Much rather spend that money on and have 2 known solid starters in my rotation..
One that can slot at the top and the other that can upgrade the bottom..

Could make a solid 4 for a couple years.. use the 5th spot then on the rookies..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't care where he ends up..
Whoever gets him probably ends up paying a shit load of money for a guy we have no clue how he going to play in the states and in MLB.
Just saying how I'd take advantage of his ability if he were on my team..

I actually like your suggestion..
Much rather spend that money on and have 2 known solid starters in my rotation..
One that can slot at the top and the other that can upgrade the bottom..

Could make a solid 4 for a couple years.. use the 5th spot then on the rookies..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That is what I was thinking. They could run Darvish, Lester, Hendricks, Holland with Butler next year with Clifton in AAA and De La Rosa in AA. Cease in A+. So there would be a progression at that point of self developed starting pitching filtering up.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
When thinking about using a starting pitcher as an everyday hitter (be that LF or DH), you gotta ask yourselves, when was the last time that kind of experiment happened and succeeded in modern MLB (think past '60s).

And also, you gotta ask yourselves would any MLB team be willing to risk injury/fatigue to their (potentially) TOR starter, just so he can play as an everyday hitter.

Therefore, at least IMO, best compromise for Otani would be for him to go to NL team (where pitchers actually hit).

Maybe I am too tired to think straight, but your reasoning doesn't seem to match your conclusion.

First, if an AL team, playing him as DH is not going to fatigue him. If NL, and not willing to play him in field, you are telling him No to his one demand.

If he insists on plaing D vs DH then AL has no advantage, but DH every day is better than hitting 3x every 5 days,

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He would most likely get a recovery day after his start. So he would hit 3/5 games as a DH. (Not sure if a AL team can have the pitcher hit in lieu of the DH)

There is also body movement in swinging a bat and running bases that NL pitchers put little effort into.

But DH 3/5 of 162 games X avg 4 AB= 388 AB's per year.

35 starts x 3 AB per = 105 AB. Even if he PH every off day he would cap at 232 AB's.

So going to the AL makes more sense for him.

cubsmann

Liked Posts:
This hasn't worked because very few if any people can pitch and hit at a high level. The Cubs don't need him and the price is way too high. If anything this guy could DH on his off days. Likely going to the NYY which sucks because they are already probably the best team in baseball and adding Gleyber Torres is imminent..