IST: Cubs vs Cardinals

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My point, he not playing him...

I think It's because their looking to use him in a deal at some point and they don't want to risk him losing value of he goes into a tail spin with bat..

Otherwise there no real solid reason not to start the kid more..

Jon Jay hitting .292 with a .380 OBP
He deserves to start more then Schwarber and Happ right now..

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Numbers wise Jay would be the guy that should get the starts in the OF. But again it shows that they are geared more so in paving the road playing Happ and Schwarber.

You pretty much hit the nail on Almora. They are keeping his value up by playing him in advantageous situations. Happ and Schwarber are playing every day and are allowed to go through their struggles. It just shows how they are viewed by management. Jay on the bench and LaStella in AAA. Both with better numbers. Both are not in the long term plans.

Honestly they are going for a push this year. Setting it up for the long haul.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Honestly they are going for a push this year. Setting it up for the long haul.

It's looking that way with the push year..
Seeing that they went out and got guys like Anderson, Butler and AAAA starters to pitch in Iowa and fill in if needed ..

Arrieta and Lackey are just going through the motions and finishing out their final year here..

Not sure what their plan is/was for CF.. thought it was Almora and getting him in there and let him learn on the job with Jay as backup..

Instead Almora sits on bench , Jay a PHer, and Heyward or Happ been out there..

Not sure what their long haul is..

Pitching in minors is probably 2-3 years away..
Almora been benched

Schwarber Russell Baez are all struggling big with bat..
Starting to look like their going backwards in that plan..

Haven't really looked at minors
But besides Caratini, Happ and Jimenez, don't know if there any other bats that might be in play in next 2 seasons...

So the future looking a little questionable with all the young struggling bats now..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
The idea that you give up on young, blue chip players like Schwarber and Russell because they're struggling over two months of a season s absurd. Young players struggle, it's what they do. I think at this point Schwarber needs to come down with an "injury" so he can get out of his head a little and rehab wherever the team thinks is beneficial but do I think he's going to be hitting .160 in August? I do not. Ditto with Russell although I think it's possible he won't be the .900 OPS player we thought, but is he going to be a bust or a utility infielder? Doubtful and even if that's possible it's way too early to make that call. The start of this season has sucked, no question, but to start talking about blowing it all up and giving up on players is a profound misunderstanding of baseball development.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
In all honesty, we never expected to see Happ this season, let alone Candalerio. One and a half more years of Maddon keeping his agreement with Zobrist. Last year scratched my head with Heyward and Fowler signings, this year it was Jay when you know you have a whiney Stella that was the lefty pinch hitter and Zobrist and Bryant playing more out field in the second half.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The idea that you give up on young, blue chip players like Schwarber and Russell because they're struggling over two months of a season s absurd. Young players struggle, it's what they do. I think at this point Schwarber needs to come down with an "injury" so he can get out of his head a little and rehab wherever the team thinks is beneficial but do I think he's going to be hitting .160 in August? I do not. Ditto with Russell although I think it's possible he won't be the .900 OPS player we thought, but is he going to be a bust or a utility infielder? Doubtful and even if that's possible it's way too early to make that call. The start of this season has sucked, no question, but to start talking about blowing it all up and giving up on players is a profound misunderstanding of baseball development.

Everyone knew Schwarber was a DH candidate. He needs to catch so they can feel better about moving on from montero and fill that outfield with Happ, Almora and Heyward.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If this is for me..

I'm not giving up on him, I just think because of his postseason play, everyone put this kid high up on the pedestal even though he has struggled mightily in regular season play.. he a career.200 hitter so far..
He dropped after his first 2 weeks in 2015 and has continued to drop..
I haven't seen anything from him during regular season play to suggest it going to improve at some point..
He swinging through 90-95 MPH fastballs and looking lost up there.

Most to all kids at this point would be back in AAA.. I just think he needs to go down and recharge himself again..
But instead of going down and just smashing Hrs, he should work on his swing and other parts of hitting..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ian Happ, CF
Kris Bryant, 3B
Anthony Rizzo, 1B
Ben Zobrist, 2B
Jason Heyward, RF
Willson Contreras, C
Javy Baez, SS
Jon Lester, P
Kyle Schwarber, LF

He hit rock bottom in line up, guess if he can't figure it out there then the next stop is Iowa..

I definitely want the kid to succeed but not in the 4-20 with 2 homers way..
I wanna see 20-30 solid plate appearances with walks, hits, and minimal strike outs and pop outs..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think Schwarber needs a change too but I'd make up an injury and send him in a rehab assignment to South Bend where their best hitting coach is. This kid is such a natural hitter that I think you'd do him a disservice sending him to AAA. What's happening is mostly mental so the mechanics should be an easy fix. He needs to get out of his head.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
WTF..
Took all of 13 pitches and 4 hitters for this game to suck..
2 runs in and 2 runners on base already..

Fukn cubs go down 1 2 3 without a whimper on 9 pitches...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's looking that way with the push year..
Seeing that they went out and got guys like Anderson, Butler and AAAA starters to pitch in Iowa and fill in if needed ..

Arrieta and Lackey are just going through the motions and finishing out their final year here..

Not sure what their plan is/was for CF.. thought it was Almora and getting him in there and let him learn on the job with Jay as backup..

Instead Almora sits on bench , Jay a PHer, and Heyward or Happ been out there..

Not sure what their long haul is..

Pitching in minors is probably 2-3 years away..
Almora been benched

Schwarber Russell Baez are all struggling big with bat..
Starting to look like their going backwards in that plan..

Haven't really looked at minors
But besides Caratini, Happ and Jimenez, don't know if there any other bats that might be in play in next 2 seasons...

So the future looking a little questionable with all the young struggling bats now..

Pretty much seeing it with Happ/Zobrist.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
These guys are going to have to stop their pop up slides..

Inning killer

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Damn.. after getting lucky with yesterday win..
I actually thought they had a chance to sweep this series..

Not with this boring offense..

Yesterday runs came by a wind blown HR and 2 balls misplayed in outfield..

Today run was another sol shot..

This team just can't generate runs

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Everyone knew Schwarber was a DH candidate. He needs to catch so they can feel better about moving on from montero and fill that outfield with Happ, Almora and Heyward.

Schwarber at C is a bad trade off for his bat if he is batting .900.

He isn't batting .200

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Man on 3rd.

1 out.

Doesn't get the bat on the ball.

Same story every fucking day.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Fukn Schwarber...

Now don't go 1 for next 9

Get some good ABs going

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Schwarber will be nothing more then a 1 inning catcher at end of blow out games..

Caratini is Montero replacement next season..

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Right when I turn on the stream, Boom! A Grand Schwarbomb

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Here's a fun stat. Schwarber has 30 hits this season. 9 of them are HRs. Also 7 of them are doubles. So over half of his hits are extra bases. Seems to strike me that he's been rather unlucky with singles though you'd have to dig further into the data to see exactly what's going on there. As a reference point here, Rizzo has 8 doubles and 12 homers. Bryant is at 13 doubles a triple and 12 hrs.