Jon Lester picked off Tommy Pham!

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but I think this deserves its own thread. Top of the 5th. Pham was taking a huge lead as people do against Lester. Lester apparently finally had enough and he overhand tossed the ball to Rizz and picked Pham off easily!

I imagine this will make a lot of teams think twice about outrageous leads with Lester. Made the whole game for me.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree. A few more tosses to first like that will make life much easier not only for Lester but for Contreras as well. The thing is, it doesn't have to even be a good toss...make them pay for their for their aggressiveness.

Now the next thing I'm waiting to see is bunting into the over-shifts...instead of driving balls into the seats in BP, try working on a few bunts to the vacated side of the infield. You do enough of it and put enough pitchers into jams and I think you will see these shifts be put on the back burner in a hurry. Again, you can't just let them dictate to you defensively....you need to make them pay. If you are gonna shift on me, I'm gonna bunt on you..its just that simple.

85Bears

Donator
Liked Posts:
Now the next thing I'm waiting to see is bunting into the over-shifts...instead of driving balls into the seats in BP, try working on a few bunts to the vacated side of the infield. You do enough of it and put enough pitchers into jams and I think you will see these shifts be put on the back burner in a hurry. Again, you can't just let them dictate to you defensively....you need to make them pay. If you are gonna shift on me, I'm gonna bunt on you..its just that simple.

Agree. Seems like every now and then Rizz will bunt down the 3rd base line but it seems like there's more of an opportunity there that's not being exploited.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Agreed. Based on the situation, that bunt to 3rd is a gift, and they should take it.

Two outs in the 9th, down one? Of course not.

But trying to drive a hard single to right when the single to 3rd is there for the taking, simply makes no sense. Drop the bunt over and over.

85Bears

Donator
Liked Posts:
On the Lester thing, I listened to the STL announcers version. Throughout the AB, they were talking about Lester's inability to throw over and scoffing at the huge lead Pham was taking. Then one of them commented, "but it doesn't matter because he just will not throw over to first" Literally one second later he picked him off.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Don't even really have to bunt ..
Just choke up a little and hit it that way..

Aggravates the hell out of me seeing these guys swinging from heels trying to jack balls out and end up with just hard grounders to the infielder playing deep..

Especially when the team down a couple runs late and need baserunners

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When I first heard the replay at MLB.com, I thought it was McCarver....but it couldn't be, could it? After spending a lifetime of making a fool of himself in baseball....surely, no one in the major leagues would actually pay him to do it.

I stand corrected.

Fans in St. Louis must be very easily pleased.....