IST: Cubs vs. Marlins

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
chicago-cubs-vs-miami-marlins-07062014.jpg

Monday 6/5 7:05 CDT
Strailey (4-3, 3.56 ERA) vs Butler (2-1, 4.42 ERA)

Tuesday 6/6 7:05 CDT
Locke (0-0, 1.59 ERA) vs Arrieta (5-4, 4.60 ERA)

Wednesday 6/7 7:05 CDT
Urena (3-2, 3.80 ERA) vs Lackey (4-5, 4.90 ERa)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
DBlGFv7XUAA9yPF.jpg

Not thrilled with how the pitching shakes out this series but I have a good feeling. The Marlins have been playing good ball lately but it doesn't figure to last and the Cubs looked like they woke up over the weekend. A sweep would be nice but I'll take 2 out of 3 with some decent pitching and more of the solid defense and good AB's they've shown lately.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Happ hits 2 Hrs and that earned him the bench so Zobrist can play..
???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
No Wade Davis for this series..
Paternity list..

Maybe we get to see Edwards close out a game

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Who needs a closer when the cubs starters are gonna throw 3 straight complete game shutouts?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Who needs a closer when the cubs starters are gonna throw 3 straight complete game shutouts?
Cubs hitters are gonna score 20 runs every game

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Albert Almora is good at the baseballs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure Maddon is sitting Happ to let him see games from the bench. He believes that is part of the learning process.

Little tid bit:

Jay leads the league in PH. Almora is in 3rd place.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
No Wade Davis for this series..
Paternity list..

Maybe we get to see Edwards close out a game

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
As long as they dont put Rondon in the role

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure Maddon is sitting Happ to let him see games from the bench. He believes that is part of the learning process.

Little tid bit:

Jay leads the league in PH. Almora is in 3rd place.
Maddon said he had tonight lineup made before yesterday game..

Almora suppose to get back to back starts with lefty going tomorrow

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almora hits long balls and short ones for hits....

Have to think if he not traded, he has to play every day next year

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Schwarber back to being Schwarber 0 for 3 2 Ks..

Guy just can't put 10 good ABs together

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Nice throw there Contreras

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On the fence with Butler. Every other game he looks really good. I really would like to see him building momentum.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
On the fence with Butler. Every other game he looks really good. I really would like to see him building momentum.

I dug into his pitch fx data a bit ago. The long and short of things is he's throwing a curve ball this year. Previously he'd used a slider as his "out pitch." He's also messed a bit with his 2/4 seam usage. Was like 25/45 now it's more like 35/35. His change up has been pretty good. HR/FB rate is way down. Still walking way too many people. I'd argue that is his biggest current issue though obviously wasn't tonight. Also, while his change up has been a pretty good k rate pitch his other pitches aren't really more than average currently.

Overall my take away was he is still a work in progress. I'm not yet seeing anything that points to TOR potential. I mean his fastball velocity is good but his secondary pitches aren't striking out enough to warrant that sort of talk at present time. But if we put a #4/5 starter hope on him I think he can get there pretty easily. His 3.75/3.84 ERA/FIP is right about what you'd expect. If the walks come down seeing him in the mid 3 range for ERA wouldn't be surprising. Also his soft contact rate is really not bad at 25% and that likely goes up after tonight since I'm looking at pre-tonight data. As a comparison, Hendricks was at 25.0%/49.1%/25.8% last year compared to Butler who's 25.0%/33.9%/41.1%. My guess is largely the difference here is that Hendricks with is better command last year was able to limit the hard contact more than Butler has so far but the fact that both had 25% soft contact rates it's something to work off of.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Happ hits 2 Hrs and that earned him the bench so Zobrist can play..
������

Glad Almora got in though. Each time this happens Pinhead Pinella comes to mind taking credit for managing the correct matchups for the hitters.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I dug into his pitch fx data a bit ago. The long and short of things is he's throwing a curve ball this year. Previously he'd used a slider as his "out pitch." He's also messed a bit with his 2/4 seam usage. Was like 25/45 now it's more like 35/35. His change up has been pretty good. HR/FB rate is way down. Still walking way too many people. I'd argue that is his biggest current issue though obviously wasn't tonight. Also, while his change up has been a pretty good k rate pitch his other pitches aren't really more than average currently.

Overall my take away was he is still a work in progress. I'm not yet seeing anything that points to TOR potential. I mean his fastball velocity is good but his secondary pitches aren't striking out enough to warrant that sort of talk at present time. But if we put a #4/5 starter hope on him I think he can get there pretty easily. His 3.75/3.84 ERA/FIP is right about what you'd expect. If the walks come down seeing him in the mid 3 range for ERA wouldn't be surprising. Also his soft contact rate is really not bad at 25% and that likely goes up after tonight since I'm looking at pre-tonight data. As a comparison, Hendricks was at 25.0%/49.1%/25.8% last year compared to Butler who's 25.0%/33.9%/41.1%. My guess is largely the difference here is that Hendricks with is better command last year was able to limit the hard contact more than Butler has so far but the fact that both had 25% soft contact rates it's something to work off of.

I studied Butler pretty hard when the trade was made and his ceiling has always been a 2/3 swing type not a true TOR pitcher, still I think he's getting closer to that ceiling here than he did in Colorado. His changeup was always his best pitch in the minors but he virtually abandoned it when he got to the Rockies in 2015 at and only threw it slightly more in 2016. This year he's throwing the change much more and the slider which got him in trouble in Colorado much less. His curve is looking good but still a work in progress IMO. The whole key to Butler is walks, 5.25 bb/9 isn't going to cut it long term but last night was encouraging. I had really wanted him to pitch a full season in AAA, which I think the FO did as well, but circumstances didn't work out that way. I like him but he's a got a lot of work to do and I think he'll probably be in AAA after a deal is made and that's nothing but good for him.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Schwarber was so disappointing in person