Trade deadline banter

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Hearing Zach Britton is on cubs radar..
He'd be a nice lefty set up for this year and then take over closer role next year..
Under contract through 2018

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hearing Zach Britton is on cubs radar..
He'd be a nice lefty set up for this year and then take over closer role next year..
Under contract through 2018

A secondary move like that could happen but I'm thinking that they would rather just pay Davis market value

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm still of the opinion that it all hinges on how Hendricks does on return. If his fastball is back up at 89 again and he has life on it with his command back then they do nothing.

Lackey is at the end of his road but he has a few good games in the tank. We have seen a few gems this year from him. His issue is being concistant. And not adapting his game plan when he is off. Even Joe says he is stubborn like that.

As far as a BP bolster. Honestly they will be getting Montgomery back in the pen. That is like adding a F/A in itself. Butler is there also. So they will end up plus 1 anyways and we will see who gets axed.

Duensing has improved from early season and is turning into a 2nd strong lefty in the pen.

So if they did nothing honestly they might be fine.

What it comes down to is the O. Theo signing Q sparked some ass on the team and they are responding. Ya they say it is the rest but that is bunk. This team plays off of emotion and that has been lacking this year.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I suggested dangling Lackey out there for deadline deal over a month ago and was told i was crazy and they'd never do that, and Lackey just a 4th starter and an inning eater and all.. guess I'm not that crazy...

Think we're talking about a different situation right now though. It's one thing to try and trade Lackey when you're only trying to fill the #5 spot in the rotation. It's another when you're talkinga bout having 2 iffy spots at 4 and 5. Q changes the math in my eye. I personally was skeptical up until it happened that the cubs would even be able to land a guy like Q. So, I don't think my personal stance on Lackey prior to now is reflective so much on Lackey as it was on the fact I didn't really see a trade happening to allow them to move him.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm still of the opinion that it all hinges on how Hendricks does on return. If his fastball is back up at 89 again and he has life on it with his command back then they do nothing.

5 perfect innings in his final rehab start.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
5 perfect innings in his final rehab start.

Saw that. He was pitching to contact for the most part. MiLB didn't show pitch velocity so I have no idea on that part. Results wise he had his lite contact going again.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sox finalized another trade with the yankees
Todd Frazier, David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle to New York in exchange for outfield prospect Blake Rutherford, left-handed pitching prospect Ian Clarkin, outfield prospect Tito Polo and veteran right-hander Tyler Clippard.

Pretty decent return really though i sort of figured Robertson would return a bit more especially paired with Frazier.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Gonzalez Holmberg and Pelfrey all have a k/9 below 6 which is horrid. Shields is owed at least $33 mil more so while he certainly would be cheap in terms of prospects he's not cheap in terms of salary and you own him for next year too which given his performance isn't exactly a good thing. Holland's the only one on that list who in my eyes is applicable to Lackey.

Edit: also for what it's worth there's only 52 pitchers with qualified innings in the majors with > 7 k/9. And you have to figure a large majority of those are on contending teams or are pieces that wont/can't be traded. I'd argue there's maybe 5-10 guys who fit a similar profile to what Lackey does. That doesn't mean Lackey gets traded or anything I'm just saying it's not as common as you're making it out to be. If a team is actually going to acquire a guy he has to have at least some hope of being worth while.

I don't want Shields within (how many miles from Guaranteed Seat field to Wrigley?) - THAT many miles from the Cubs.

Shields is awful.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Gonzalez Holmberg and Pelfrey all have a k/9 below 6 which is horrid. Shields is owed at least $33 mil more so while he certainly would be cheap in terms of prospects he's not cheap in terms of salary and you own him for next year too which given his performance isn't exactly a good thing. Holland's the only one on that list who in my eyes is applicable to Lackey.

Edit: also for what it's worth there's only 52 pitchers with qualified innings in the majors with > 7 k/9. And you have to figure a large majority of those are on contending teams or are pieces that wont/can't be traded. I'd argue there's maybe 5-10 guys who fit a similar profile to what Lackey does. That doesn't mean Lackey gets traded or anything I'm just saying it's not as common as you're making it out to be. If a team is actually going to acquire a guy he has to have at least some hope of being worth while.
Shields is owed money, but most of that comes from the Padres.

And I never made anything out to be on k/9. You strawmaned there.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And I never made anything out to be on k/9. You strawmaned there.

Not sure what you mean. You're suggesting teams could essentially pay less to get the guys you listed. My point was who's going to realistically trade for a guy who strikes out less than 6 per 9? And I'll rhetorically answer that for you, no one because any random guy in AAA can probably put up similar numbers to that sort of pitcher. So listing them as parts people could trade for is rather pointless.

As for Shields, I'd forgotten SD ate some of his money so perhaps you're closer to right on him than I initially believed. But he is still owed money next year regardless. I mean given Lackey pitched well last night and given it was unlikely even prior that the Cubs would move him it's probably a moot point here. But if you're making that sort of trade I think you want someone on a half year deal because ideally you don't want someone like Holland/Lackey/Shields in your starting 5 for 2018.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not sure what you mean. You're suggesting teams could essentially pay less to get the guys you listed. My point was who's going to realistically trade for a guy who strikes out less than 6 per 9? And I'll rhetorically answer that for you, no one because any random guy in AAA can probably put up similar numbers to that sort of pitcher. So listing them as parts people could trade for is rather pointless.

As for Shields, I'd forgotten SD ate some of his money so perhaps you're closer to right on him than I initially believed. But he is still owed money next year regardless. I mean given Lackey pitched well last night and given it was unlikely even prior that the Cubs would move him it's probably a moot point here. But if you're making that sort of trade I think you want someone on a half year deal because ideally you don't want someone like Holland/Lackey/Shields in your starting 5 for 2018.

I think we are saying pretty much the same things from different perspectives.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Sox finalized another trade with the yankees

Pretty decent return really though i sort of figured Robertson would return a bit more especially paired with Frazier.

Probably would have if the sox were willing to eat some of the money, but maybe they did.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Probably would have if the sox were willing to eat some of the money, but maybe they did.

Well they had to take Clippard back and his ~$3 mil. So they did eat some money for an asset not really worth much. I guess it just goes to show how crazy reliever prices were last year. I mean this is more what I would expect normally out of a reliever but Miller and Chapman went for so much. And I mean they are good but the prices never made sense to me and honestly still don't.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well they had to take Clippard back and his ~$3 mil. So they did eat some money for an asset not really worth much. I guess it just goes to show how crazy reliever prices were last year. I mean this is more what I would expect normally out of a reliever but Miller and Chapman went for so much. And I mean they are good but the prices never made sense to me and honestly still don't.

But riding home from downtown yesterday I heard them say Renteria said Clippard was his new closer, so I guess they think he is worth something.

We will just watch the white sox pine for that 200 million guy that is going to put them over in 2020 and not get it from the money they should be banking now.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
But riding home from downtown yesterday I heard them say Renteria said Clippard was his new closer, so I guess they think he is worth something.

We will just watch the white sox pine for that 200 million guy that is going to put them over in 2020 and not get it from the money they should be banking now.

Why not use him and bring up his value? It would be silly not to do that.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why not use him and bring up his value? It would be silly not to do that.

Exactly. They're not going anywhere anyway. If something miraculous happens and he actually does a good job.....you got another piece to move. Probably, not on his own but something you add to a deal.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I still think one of Schwarber Russell or Baez is getting moved for another cost controlled starter....

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I still think one of Schwarber Russell or Baez is getting moved for another cost controlled starter....

Best hope it is not Kyle otherwise it will be Kyle ++++