Cubs..Draft

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Those who follow..

Can you list 5 pitchers and 5 position players that we could hope the Cubs are able to draft at 27 and 30..

Give me something to watch for...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not sure I can give you 5 but I'll give it a go.

Clarke Schmidt - RHP - South Carolina
Why you should care: Probably would be a top 10 pick maybe top 5 if he didn't have TJS. He's basically your upside play on a starter who got hurt. MLB.com has his pitches as 60 4 seam, 55 slider, 55 curve 50 change up and 50 command. That's not quite "amazing" stuff but to give you an idea of how pitches rate, De La Cruz is 60/60 on his fastball/curve and 55 on his change up with 55 control. Cease is 70/60 45 and 45 respectively. Clifton is 60/55 50 and 45. So his stuff is basically between De La Cruz and Clifton and I would argue having a 4th pitch makes his stuff play better than a 3 pitch guy.

Sam Carlson - RHP - HS
Why you should care: He's one of the better high school arms. If you don't count the first 2 guys who are kinda 2 way potential as RHP/SS and LHP/1B, there's only 3 high schools MLB.com has ahead of him. They have him #15 overall. If he falls it's likely a money issue. He has similar stuff to Schmidt but he's a little bigger and might fill in more but you're talking high school arms being a risk of injury.

Tanner Houck - RHP - Mizzou
Why you should care: He's a bigger guy than Schmidt with a better fastball. His secondary pitches aren't as developed.

Those 3 would be the guys i'd look at being "fortunate" for the cubs to have a shot at. The draft's pretty fluid once you get around #20 because some teams are going to draft objectively worse players to save money for later in the draft where as with 2 highish picks the cubs have some extra money to play with.

Keston Hiura - 2B/OF - UC Irvine
Why you should care: top college bat with a really high quality hit tool. Honestly I'd rather see them go pitching but he's the type of college bat the cubs have drafted.

Nick Allen - SS - HS
Why you should care: Good hit tool and really fluid defensively. He's tiny so he's drawn Altuve/Pedroia comps. Basically your high average low power middle infielder though as mentioned he should stick at SS which is a plus

Quentin Holmes - OF - HS
Why you should care: 80 grade speed and he's 17. Typically speaking 17 year olds drafted high tend to perform better. Should be a decent CF prospect.

Overall, the hitters in this class don't seem amazing. There's quite a bit of pitching depth though.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Why you should care: Probably would be a top 10 pick maybe top 5 if he didn't have TJS. He's basically your upside play on a starter who got hurt. MLB.com has his pitches as 60 4 seam, 55 slider, 55 curve 50 change up and 50 command. That's not quite "amazing" stuff but to give you an idea of how pitches rate, De La Cruz is 60/60 on his fastball/curve and 55 on his change up with 55 control. Cease is 70/60 45 and 45 respectively. Clifton is 60/55 50 and 45. So his stuff is basically between De La Cruz and Clifton and I would argue having a 4th pitch makes his stuff play better than a 3 pitch guy.

I like Schmidt, I've seen him pitch 3 or 4 times (on TV) in the last 2 years. His changeup is deceptive and he can hit 97 with his 4 seamer when he has to. Kid was having a hell of a season before he went down to TJ. I would not be the slightest bit disappointed if they picked him at 27. Of course even with the injury he may not fall that far.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Sam Carlson - RHP - HS
Why you should care: He's one of the better high school arms. If you don't count the first 2 guys who are kinda 2 way potential as RHP/SS and LHP/1B, there's only 3 high schools MLB.com has ahead of him. They have him #15 overall. If he falls it's likely a money issue. He has similar stuff to Schmidt but he's a little bigger and might fill in more but you're talking high school arms being a risk of injury.

Tanner Houck - RHP - Mizzou
Why you should care: He's a bigger guy than Schmidt with a better fastball. His secondary pitches aren't as developed.

Those 3 would be the guys i'd look at being "fortunate" for the cubs to have a shot at. The draft's pretty fluid once you get around #20 because some teams are going to draft objectively worse players to save money for later in the draft where as with 2 highish picks the cubs have some extra money to play with.

Keston Hiura - 2B/OF - UC Irvine
Why you should care: top college bat with a really high quality hit tool. Honestly I'd rather see them go pitching but he's the type of college bat the cubs have drafted.

Nick Allen - SS - HS
Why you should care: Good hit tool and really fluid defensively. He's tiny so he's drawn Altuve/Pedroia comps. Basically your high average low power middle infielder though as mentioned he should stick at SS which is a plus

Quentin Holmes - OF - HS
Why you should care: 80 grade speed and he's 17. Typically speaking 17 year olds drafted high tend to perform better. Should be a decent CF prospect.

Overall, the hitters in this class don't seem amazing. There's quite a bit of pitching depth though.
Thanks...
I don't follow college like I use to
So, at least now I have some names to look for and see if their available for them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk