E3 2017

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Omg a new Xbox One that is slightly better than other hardware and costs 500$.

Here's what Sony announced at E3 2017

• Spider-Man for PS4's high-flying gameplay trailer debut
  • God of War release date set for early 2018
  • Call of Duty WWII has a new multiplayer trailer
  • Destiny 2 on Sony systems will include exclusive content
  • PSVR is in for a bunch of new games, including Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
  • Sony PlayLink brings mobile and console gaming together

Here's what Ubisoft announced at E3 2017

• Far Cry 5 has TWO new trailers
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2 is finally happening
  • Skull & Bones is Ubisoft's 'ultimate pirate experience'
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is coming to Nintendo Switch
  • Assassin's Creed Origins is out on October 27

Here's what Bethesda announced at E3 2017

• Nintendo Switch is getting its own Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • Wolfenstein II is official and it's releasing on October 27
  • The Evil Within 2 has an official reveal trailer and October 13 release date
  • Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VFR both release later this year

Here's what Microsoft announced at E3 2017

• Xbox One X is the official name of Project Scorpio
  • Xbox One X price is $499 and it goes on sale November 7
  • Original Xbox games will be backwards compatible with the Xbox One family
  • Forza 7 launches on October 3 for Xbox One X, Xbox One and Windows 10
  • Crackdown 3 release date is November 7
  • Anthem release date is Fall 2018
  • Assassin's Creed Origins takes place in ancient Egypt

Here's what EA announced at E3 2017

• First FIFA 18 gameplay trailer revealed
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 multiplayer gameplay trailer is here!
  • Madden 18 gets its first-ever playable story mode
  • Need for Speed Payback clearly inspired by Fast & Furious
  • Anthem is a new game from the team behind Mass Effect

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Creative Labs Paper Launches SoundBlasterX AE-5 cards at E3.
BTW, shitty card design. People who don't have trained ears are, as usual, saying it's a great sounding card. But they used a Sabre 32 DAC, which is really a junk DAC chip in most use cases with inflated specs. "Better than motherboard sound" is really not a high bar.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
BTW, shitty card design. People who don't have trained ears are, as usual, saying it's a great sounding card. But they used a Sabre 32 DAC, which is really a junk DAC chip in most use cases with inflated specs. "Better than motherboard sound" is really not a high bar.

I've never had a sound card in any machine I've built in the last 15+ years.... I never saw the point and seemed like most people just left sound to the MOBO.

Is there really a reason not to just have integrated sound?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sonys performance was absolutely abysmal.. they should honestly be ashamed.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sonys performance was absolutely abysmal.. they should honestly be ashamed.

Why do you say that? I didn't see it... just reading highlights.

Was it ultra-cringe?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why do you say that? I didn't see it... just reading highlights.

Was it ultra-cringe?

They just got blown out the water by Microsoft. It was laggy with graphical glitches. Cringy. The exclusives looked far worse. Wasn't nearly as clean of a performance.

It was just... bad. I don't know how else to describe it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They just got blown out the water by Microsoft. It was laggy with graphical glitches. Cringy. The exclusives looked far worse. Wasn't nearly as clean of a performance.

It was just... bad. I don't know how else to describe it.

Like Kyle Long on twitch bad?

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
E3 was disappointing all around. I am excited for the One X, cool to finally see a release date.

Bethesda caught me by surprise. I'm a fan of evil within and wolfenstein, so it was awesome to see sequels announced. I didn't think evil within would ever get a sequel, so that was definitely a surprise.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
E3 was disappointing all around. I am excited for the One X, cool to finally see a release date.

Bethesda caught me by surprise. I'm a fan of evil within and wolfenstein, so it was awesome to see sequels announced. I didn't think evil within would ever get a sequel, so that was definitely a surprise.

E3 just started yesterday... we may have alot more interesting news about game releases.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I've never had a sound card in any machine I've built in the last 15+ years.... I never saw the point and seemed like most people just left sound to the MOBO.

Is there really a reason not to just have integrated sound?

If your ears aren't trained, don't bother because it becomes a pricey rabbit hole. Like anything with sensory perception, once you notice the details, it's hard to un-notice when they go missing.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
it really doesnt matter how bad sony looks at e3 compared to ms, ms will remain in 2nd place because sony will continue to be the go to console. winning e3 is like winning the offseason. the scorpios(or Xs) additional horsepower(its still essentially rx 480/580 territory just like the pro) isnt going to allow for much better performance than the pro. and in the end its games that matter anyway, and sony will always have the games. if i was going to buy a console itd be a ps4, despite having not owned a sony console since the ps1(though my brother in law did just give me a ps3) while i bought both an original xbox and a 360 at launch.

with that said, i dont give a damn about either console and have little interest in owning either.

as for on board audio, my old pcs when i was young had sound cards and even maybe my last dell from around 2006... im not sure. lol but recently ive just gone with the on board audio, first on the asrock z170 board i had and now on the asus z270 board i have, and i can say new on board audio is far better than old add in cards and the sound on my asus board is noticeably better than the sound on my asrock board(which wasnt bad). but as crys mentioned, people seem to say that unless you have really keen ears or work in sound design theres really little need for third party cards nowadays since chances are you wont be able to tell the difference.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
So how does Xbox one x specs stack up against today's GPU's? 980 level? Better, worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
So how does Xbox one x specs stack up against today's GPU's? 980 level? Better, worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a Radeon 580 base without OS overheads. So essentially a 1070.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

What DAC chips do you recommend?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
What DAC chips do you recommend?

Depends for what. But in this case (and in many) the Sabre-32s seems to have a rivalry with TI/burr brown DACs for headphone users(like myself). And I do prefer TI chips. PCM17/51 have been around for as long (Sabre32 is not that new), pending design are still fantastic, better realtime SnR and superior signal range high and low. Even Cirrus Logic's 24bit DACs have slightly better real world signal IMO.

If cost was an issue, they could have done what a lot of audio tech+hackers have been doing for the last 5+ years. Pair a good DAC card with STM 72xx amp chips on each channel, and the SBX AE-5 specs go out the window.

Plus, my other big gripe, WTF do users who setup an HTPC/Kodi/Steam box do? The AE-5 is locked into windows, no linux drivers. Even if they did wake up to 2017 reality, their track record for Windows drivers haven't been particularly good, and the linux drivers for old hardware barely support any features making them worth owning. This is not the Creative Labs of the early 90s that married high end with low cost. This is a company that half-asses things, then tries to claim it's latest and greatest tech.

edit* And not to be 100% a slam on Creative Labs. I'm sure for a lot of users, this will be a nice upgrade. Not sure if I believe the card will be very reliable, but if you're lucky, you'll be happy with it.

Last edited:

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Depends for what. But in this case (and in many) the Sabre-32s seems to have a rivalry with TI/burr brown DACs for headphone users(like myself). And I do prefer TI chips. PCM17/51 have been around for as long (Sabre32 is not that new), pending design are still fantastic, better realtime SnR and superior signal range high and low. Even Cirrus Logic's 24bit DACs have slightly better real world signal IMO.

If cost was an issue, they could have done what a lot of audio tech+hackers have been doing for the last 5+ years. Pair a good DAC card with STM 72xx amp chips on each channel, and the SBX AE-5 specs go out the window.

Plus, my other big gripe, WTF do users who setup an HTPC/Kodi/Steam box do? The AE-5 is locked into windows, no linux drivers. Even if they did wake up to 2017 reality, their track record for Windows drivers haven't been particularly good, and the linux drivers for old hardware barely support any features making them worth owning. This is not the Creative Labs of the early 90s that married high end with low cost. This is a company that half-asses things, then tries to claim it's latest and greatest tech.

edit* And not to be 100% a slam on Creative Labs. I'm sure for a lot of users, this will be a nice upgrade. Not sure if I believe the card will be very reliable, but if you're lucky, you'll be happy with it.

I'm looking at the Nad D 3020. I think it uses the Cirrus Logic CS4398, and Hypex D amp. I like the size, and the features. Perfect for what I want, and the sound seems better than a lot of other staright headphone amps sound, but I can hook 4-8ohm speakers to this amp which is what I'm looking for.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Nad D 3020 uses a LME49860 for the opamp. The DAC is okay, but the opamp is really what is going to do most of the work. My issue/OCD with amps, is that I've been making my own for 30+ years now, so I'm really bad with consumer knowledge. Also why I'm talking about very specific ICs rather than brands and models.

But from a teardown I was able to find, it does look like a good amp for the price. Unless they're counterfeit , good cap selection and nice solid resistors. PCB has gold plated traces for signal carrying pathways, which is always a nice touch (but a placebo because epoxy on non-insertion components is cheaper and as good/better.)

Also, bear in mind, this is just a first impression. I don't have one in hand to know.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nad D 3020 uses a LME49860 for the opamp. The DAC is okay, but the opamp is really what is going to do most of the work. My issue/OCD with amps, is that I've been making my own for 30+ years now, so I'm really bad with consumer knowledge. Also why I'm talking about very specific ICs rather than brands and models.

But from a teardown I was able to find, it does look like a good amp for the price. Unless they're counterfeit , good cap selection and nice solid resistors. PCB has gold plated traces for signal carrying pathways, which is always a nice touch (but a placebo because epoxy on non-insertion components is cheaper and as good/better.)

Also, bear in mind, this is just a first impression. I don't have one in hand to know.

I'm impressed by the sound. And for an amp rated at 30 watts, it has a lot more room than that, and zero distortion noticeable at high volume on large 4 ohm speakers. A lot of glowing reviews made me skeptical, but listening is the only test, and for me it passes quite nicely. And for $500 CAD, it looks like a bargain I just can't refuse. The features are ideal for me, and the sound has sold me.

Will be a fun weekend. Cheers.

And sorry Ares for hijacking.

Anyone ever attend one of these expos? I went to a couple of Computex expos a little over a decade ago, and those things are crazy, and very hard to take in in just a day or two. I miss the gaming and rig days sometimes, but for some reason I just can't get into gaming anymore.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers