anyone got a good flour/corn tortilla recipe?

AussieBear

the art of squirt.

Lesbian-gif-squirt-Meet-Carter-Cruise.gif

458651.gif

squirt-nude-gif.gif

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Sorry, way too cheap here for me to make my own Flour are 79 cents for 10 and corn are a dozen for 25 to 33 cents

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry, way too cheap here for me to make my own Flour are 79 cents for 10 and corn are a dozen for 25 to 33 cents

We should start a business selling tortillas to AussieBear undercutting the local prices

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
We should start a business selling tortillas to AussieBear undercutting the local prices

Half my family is from Mexico so I am sure I can get a good solid recipe so we can dump our IT jobs and make some real money. Plus you get Opera House on "business trips."

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a bit surprised you can't buy lard at the grocery store in Australia. Butter would probably work better than olive oil.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I make home made tortillas and they are really nice compared to store bought. It's like home-made pasta or noodles. The difference is not worth it most of the time for a quick recipe, but on occasion doing it from base ingredients is a nice treat and way better tasting than store bought. Plus it's pretty quick to make for experienced cooks, much faster than running to the store.

Keep it simple. Flour, salt, water. I honestly use whatever oil is laying around.
Once I used ghee butter and it was pretty good too. Problem with butter is that it infuses with the gluten(not sure if true, just my broken way of explaining this) and you get a more crepe like texture(maybe you want it this way). Whereas most oils(little goes a long way) will preserve more of the tortilla flake-texture.

Never olive oil. But I personally hate cooking with olive oil, it's a shit oil for most things cooking and prefer using it in recipes that don't cook over 150 degrees(or simply cold where it is best nutritionally), which means a decent+ greek/spanish EV olive oil. Good olive oils cost money and doesn't go far when cooking anyways. Coconut oil is better for most things, but can add flavor to some things, so not exactly a perfect solution for tortillas YMMV pending personal taste. Sunflower seed oil, corn oil, sesame seed oil, organic* cottonseed oil, avocado oil(never tried with this, but hear it's good), maybe peanut oil(never tried it with flour, but with corn or any blend with potato starches it should come out nice). Palm oil is nice too, but it's being over-harvested to the point of serious concern. Even generic vegetable oils are fine, I just personally try to avoid generic blends because I have psoriasis and have sensitivity to specific hydrogenated oils.

Last edited:

AussieBear

not really into lard...never have been.. dont even use lard in tamales.. plus its about 16-18 a kilo hurr...

i use a lot of olive oil.. generally up to smoke point plain.. will take it higher with a 50/50 olive oil butter mix.. but i generally cook with a 50/50 blend even at lower temps... if i go real high heat.. i use peanut oil or even clarified butter... depending on da method. but i can take a light olive oil as high as peanut... but generally deep fry with peanut.. give shat a cleaner taste imo.. im pretty set in me ways in those regards.. may change it up in da future n experiment if i keep cooking commercially

AussieBear

will have to special order it just to try out in home.. avocado mayo ... may try dat

AussieBear

This is a great place to start, can tweak from here if you want. Lard is the key.

c4d359aca5853808fc15ec7870ba1a08.jpg

yeah thats basically what i did minus the lard... i would use crisco... ah shit i still havent ordered it... with olive oil it was okay, but that texture wasnt what i wanted.. it was eatable just that super softness wasnt there for fresh..

thanks though

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
yeah thats basically what i did minus the lard... i would use crisco... ah shit i still havent ordered it... with olive oil it was okay, but that texture wasnt what i wanted.. it was eatable just that super softness wasnt there for fresh..

thanks though
You can't get cheap lard there? I would think that would be available. Aussies don't eat cattle?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AussieBear

You can't get cheap lard there? I would think that would be available. Aussies don't eat cattle?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

eh 16-18 a kil.. when criso is 25 for about 3 kilos... well plus shipping..

aussies are backwards... dey get shot by black cops mane...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Get a pork butt, roast it to make carnitas, and use the fat drippings for the tortillas.