HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If this is like a throwback system with a library of classic games built into it then they could have a money maker for them. People spent a lot of money on those stupid little Nintendo NES Classic systems. No reason Atari can't do the same.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The real Atari company is Nolan Bushnell and Allan Alcorn.

No Nolan Bushnell and Allan Alcorn, no fucks should be given. It's just naming rights sold through a series of holding firms and divisions licensed to used the name for certain publishing. Good odds this is going to be a shit product that the company knows would NOT sell without having some kind of recognizable name to attract sales.

Anyone here can build some kind of throwback Atari, and if done right, would be equally as authentic. Kind of like buying tickets to see Elvis Presley, but you failed to read the fine print and it's just 90 minutes of John Stamos singing all the hits.

People give Steve Jobs all this credit for innovations. But he didn't innovate shit. He saw how Bushnell did it and basically cloned his methods. He was a poser and Bushnell is the real genius that innovated the fake and bake tech method that pushed style over substance. That's how brilliant Bushnell was, and they want to claim the company is "back"? Yeah, lulz. My ass it is.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The real Atari company is Nolan Bushnell and Allan Alcorn.

No Nolan Bushnell and Allan Alcorn, no fucks should be given. It's just naming rights sold through a series of holding firms and divisions licensed to used the name for certain publishing. Good odds this is going to be a shit product that the company knows would NOT sell without having some kind of recognizable name to attract sales.

Anyone here can build some kind of throwback Atari, and if done right, would be equally as authentic. Kind of like buying tickets to see Elvis Presley, but you failed to read the fine print and it's just 90 minutes of John Stamos singing all the hits.

People give Steve Jobs all this credit for innovations. But he didn't innovate shit. He saw how Bushnell did it and basically cloned his methods. He was a poser and Bushnell is the real genius that innovated the fake and bake tech method that pushed style over substance. That's how brilliant Bushnell was, and they want to claim the company is "back"? Yeah, lulz. My ass it is.

People don't remember the creators. They remember the brands. There are very few times that creators are ever remembered by the masses like for instance Shigeru Miyamoto is for Nintendo. By the way I agree that Apple has never been an innovator in anything at all. In fact they are the exception to the rule when it comes to isolating themselves from the mainstream by creating their own standards and actually having success with it. How many times have you seen Sony make their own shit and have it flop epicly or become obsolete soon even when it has some success?

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
My point is that Bushnell SHOULD be remembered. IDGAF about who created/built a ton of brands, but if I had to make a list of influential persons that people forgot, then I would put Bushnell and Alcorn #1a #1b. Gary Kildall #3(more important than Bill Gates, but people know Gate's name.) More important and influential than Jobs and Woz, because Jobs emulated Bushnell and Woz was in Alcorns role. No Bushnell, no Apple. No Kildall, then we would be 5 years behind and tech would look completely different today with no Microsoft. Remembering a brand before the person IMO is just the wrong way to do it anyways, then a person is susceptible to a lot of shenanigans with lowering product quality.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's not going to be a retro machine. And the author of that article is not qualified to do any more than offer their own editorials, because their fact citing has holes like swiss cheese, and they don't even sound very informed on the things they did introduce into the article. Whatever... it's forbes.

Rumors right now are x86 hardware. That's not going to be a retro machine.

Last edited:

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
well as long as its not a emulator box i may look at it.. they may be successful if they beat xb and ps 4 to that full pc rig transition.. the xb1x is basically a low clock 8 core rig with a 1070 riight... now if the atari box came with win 10 or some other consumer grade os, , and gaming keyboard/mouse... id think about it at 500 dollars..

im just wondering who they are partnered with...

Partnered with Gateway PCs.... retro af.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My point is that Bushnell SHOULD be remembered. IDGAF about who created/built a ton of brands, but if I had to make a list of influential persons that people forgot, then I would put Bushnell and Alcorn #1a #1b. Gary Kildall #3(more important than Bill Gates, but people know Gate's name.) More important and influential than Jobs and Woz, because Jobs emulated Bushnell and Woz was in Alcorns role. No Bushnell, no Apple. No Kildall, then we would be 5 years behind and tech would look completely different today with no Microsoft. Remembering a brand before the person IMO is just the wrong way to do it anyways, then a person is susceptible to a lot of shenanigans with lowering product quality.

I get what you're saying but I work in the retail space. I know what the masses remember and that is brands not people. This is why Nintendo still sells an assload of consoles and gameboys. They have long been selling inferior hardware and relying on branding as well as their long standing image of being kid friendly.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't know what Nintendo has anything to do with this, but for whatever reason I feel like there are some myths here.

There was a two year period where Nintendo told congress they wouldn't allow publishing of games like Mortal Kombat without meeting a certain requirement that got Congress off their back. It's the same how when people talk about fast food being unhealthy, they attack McDonalds for everything, despite worse offenders that manage to stay out of the spotlight. Nintendo was the main target and had a different role than Sega, who had little to lose at the time. This image stuck with Nintendo for some time, but if you look at the library, there are tons of M rated games that come out on Nintendo consoles since that pressure from congress dropped. So this is now a myth or fanboy argument to continue referring them to the kid-friendly system. The ESRB has basically become the standard for determining what is kid-safe now.

Also, the quality of the systems are fantastic, and have been the most reliable hardware wise. Not the most powerful, not the most versatile from a software perspective. Although with the Switch, being a handheld hybrid, it is the most powerful of its kind. The least reliable aspects of a Nintendo system today have been the thumbsticks, and aside from the N64 which was the worst, they haven't been far off other analog sticks.

Also, Nintendo is always in the game of the year class for first party software. That, more than anything else is what makes people buy Nintendo hardware. People KNOW who Miyamoto is, they want Miyamoto created and blessed games. He's one of the few producers and creators of games that don't just release yet-another-FPS or PC-game-for-console, which is enough to sell consoles.

I know this makes me seem like a Nintendo fanboy in a world where even stating basic facts puts a person on Team (insert shorthand name here). I have all the systems. I have every major system that came out in my collection and many obscure ones just from repairing electronics for however many decades. Heck, I even have a Pippin and CD32 :lol:. PC is my favorite by far and away, and I even have PCs that run old games that don't run correctly on modern hardware using anything(DOSbox anybuild*, VMs, Wine anybuild*, Windows compatibility layer, graphic/sound accelerator wrappers). So yeah, not a fanboy, I just understand why people are loyal to certain brands that do things differently.
There are certain segments of the market and strategies to go after and stay loyal to the people you know WILL buy your hardware. It's silly to screw over a loyal fanbase by doing something different, because even if people want higher performance parts, they don't want to be disappointed by other aspects. Like an SUV owner complaining that a touring car has small trunk space. Well duh.

<3 <3 <3

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't know what Nintendo has anything to do with this, but for whatever reason I feel like there are some myths here.

There was a two year period where Nintendo told congress they wouldn't allow publishing of games like Mortal Kombat without meeting a certain requirement that got Congress off their back. It's the same how when people talk about fast food being unhealthy, they attack McDonalds for everything, despite worse offenders that manage to stay out of the spotlight. Nintendo was the main target and had a different role than Sega, who had little to lose at the time. This image stuck with Nintendo for some time, but if you look at the library, there are tons of M rated games that come out on Nintendo consoles since that pressure from congress dropped. So this is now a myth or fanboy argument to continue referring them to the kid-friendly system. The ESRB has basically become the standard for determining what is kid-safe now.

Also, the quality of the systems are fantastic, and have been the most reliable hardware wise. Not the most powerful, not the most versatile from a software perspective. Although with the Switch, being a handheld hybrid, it is the most powerful of its kind. The least reliable aspects of a Nintendo system today have been the thumbsticks, and aside from the N64 which was the worst, they haven't been far off other analog sticks.

Also, Nintendo is always in the game of the year class for first party software. That, more than anything else is what makes people buy Nintendo hardware. People KNOW who Miyamoto is, they want Miyamoto created and blessed games. He's one of the few producers and creators of games that don't just release yet-another-FPS or PC-game-for-console, which is enough to sell consoles.

I know this makes me seem like a Nintendo fanboy in a world where even stating basic facts puts a person on Team (insert shorthand name here). I have all the systems. I have every major system that came out in my collection and many obscure ones just from repairing electronics for however many decades. Heck, I even have a Pippin and CD32 :lol:. PC is my favorite by far and away, and I even have PCs that run old games that don't run correctly on modern hardware using anything(DOSbox anybuild*, VMs, Wine anybuild*, Windows compatibility layer, graphic/sound accelerator wrappers). So yeah, not a fanboy, I just understand why people are loyal to certain brands that do things differently.
There are certain segments of the market and strategies to go after and stay loyal to the people you know WILL buy your hardware. It's silly to screw over a loyal fanbase by doing something different, because even if people want higher performance parts, they don't want to be disappointed by other aspects. Like an SUV owner complaining that a touring car has small trunk space. Well duh.

<3 <3 <3

Again, I am not disagreeing with any of what you're saying either. Ironically you made my case for me. They went after Nintendo because it had and still has that cliche kid friendly reputation and brand recognition. I don't know why you're bringing system quality into the discussion. I said its hardware is inferior based on specifications and performance. Not durability or build quality. The switch actually has a lot of complaints about being underpowered and not maintaining performance. Then there were the complaints about some people having their systems warp from the heat. Those would be actual build quality issues. Albeit apparently not widespread. Every single tech product eventually ends up having some defective units. Nothing out of the ordinary there. I also never knocked their game offerings and I actually explicitly mentioned Miyamoto because he is legendary in the industry for making quality games.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't see this is as a debate, just a discussion. No need for disagreements :) Except maybe one point, that brands do better when they have credibility, and that is granted by the persons who built that credibility. Nolan Bushnell and Alan Alcorn for Atari.

Every system comes out, and people have issues. But I don't know anyone with the reported reliability problems on the switch, just reading reports online that can come from anyones mouth for whatever reason(including fanboyism). The most reliable system ever, the Atari 7800, is only marginally better than your average Nintendo system. It's a very small amount compared to Sony and Microsoft's launch issue problems. Twenty years down the line, a kid owned system from Nintendo will work better than an adult owned system from Sony. And Sony has fantastic engineers. They just cut more corners to reach costs, where Nintendo cuts on latest and greatest. It's just a different method of doing things.

My point was that there is a social stigma that is flat out wrong about the Nintendo being the kid-safe system. I never said that there was no stigma, I said the stigma itself was based on a myth. And people do buy Nintendo because of Miyamoto.

Wii, Miayamoto was plastered everywhere, so it sold well. Wii-U had less Miyamoto and more Reggie. Nobody cares about Reggie, so way less systems sold and everytime there was an uptick of sales, it was because Miyamoto demoed some game, like Smash Bros or Mario Maker. Switch had more Miyamoto, so it sold well to start. That is the key. Names matter. Who is behind Atari, and what have they done? That is why Atari will fail. Even if Atari has double the performance of the XBox One X, a killer app(GOTY class game(s) on launch) and a good price, it will fail. No Bushnell, no Miyamoto, no Kutaragi(who also is a followed name, just not in the US, because Muricans follow, naturally, American cultural figures like Kim K). But Sony doesn't need Kutaragi, because they have other big names that know what they are doing with proven track records, Atari does not(at least it has yet to reveal anyone).

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
a company, minus its founders and all the creative talent, living on in name only... i feel like i had this conversation recently.

cough, bioware, cough

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This will most likely be disappointing. Atari lends its name out for whatever product will pay for it.

devans

Liked Posts:
Why do people waste $$ on buying re-release of the original systems? Especially if you still own it or else you can go to most second hand places and buy it for alot cheaper. Just saying.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Why do people waste $$ on buying re-release of the original systems? Especially if you still own it or else you can go to most second hand places and buy it for alot cheaper. Just saying.

I hear you.

But the answer is, most likely because RF modulation in modern TVs is garbage and adds to latency issues. A lot of old systems do break, and the new throwback/emulation/NOAC systems add features like save states and filtering. Plus, most people don't care that not a single emulator/virtual console/throwback system is 100% accurate. Some with huge issues compared to playing all original hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: DC

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Because Nintendo is cashing in on all the sheep. Apple style.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
If this is like a throwback system with a library of classic games built into it then they could have a money maker for them. People spent a lot of money on those stupid little Nintendo NES Classic systems. No reason Atari can't do the same.

I think the console itself looks nice. But after trying, and failing to find an NES Classic for a non jacked up price I made myself a RetroPi and that sates all my old school gaming needs.

I still plan to collect more actual carts for my NES, but the RetroPie is just so damned convenient.