Chicago Bears simple realities

bugg

Liked Posts:
Should have kept Hoyer, I think he's better than glennon. At least he's played in the past 2 years and it'd have been less weird if you knew you were gonna go for trubisky

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think that they are improved much at all. The defense should be a little better but the offense is worse. Our quarterbacking is weaker, and are receivers are worse. I also do not agree with those who are praising our offensive line. Our tackles are still bad over-all and Long is iffy for the season. The fact that they are talking about flip flopping the guards is also strange to me.

1. Not being decimated by injuries will improve them a ton

2. Defense is better, TE is better, QB should be more consistent

3. Our tackles are serviceable, the performance of the OL was very good last season while playing bums at QB

4. I concede the WR point, this unit is bad.

AussieBear

yes the reality is.. bears making a run at the playoffs this year if healthy..

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately this team is built to NOT sustain even a small amount of injuries.

The QB postion is a complete unknown. To say it's better then last year is simple a guess.

If Howard can repeat then he will be a star. If Howard slumps a little then this offense is in big trouble.

Oddly I'm not remotely worried about the WRs.

TEs seems to be an upgrade. I can't wait to watch the rookie in live action.

The Oline will be ok. They produced a 1k rusher and limited sacks last year with its best to players missing.

The Defense should be better but I'm not expecting a top 10.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
8-8 is very reasonable if average injuries.

10-6 is more likely than another 3-13. Yes, I'll stake that claim firmly.

Not saying it'll happen, but 6-12 is the worst we'll see without massive injuries again. There's been extreme turnover in this roster every year since Pace started...only SEVEN players even remain from the 2014 roster he inherited. Last season alone didn't even net 50% of named starters actually starting, with backups out nearly 1/2 the time even and street signees starting. As OP mentioned, tons of close-ass games even still! Turnovers were THE MAJOR factor on both sides...some due to poor luck, also much to do with poor backup talent not causing and getting/protecting the football.

Nobody has answered me on how the 2015 Dallas Cowboys went 4-12, before winning 13 games last season. I seriously want to know. Besides getting Romo back healthy and Dak filling in after he went down again + Zeke. Tell me that 2 guys can = 9 more wins!?? If so, did they rebuild 1/3 of their roster like the Bears just did? Bears already let go of 26 guys from last year's roster.

OP's not drinking KoolAid, but the Negative Nancy fans & media are just playing emo-victims for the last 25+ years of mediocrity and poor seasons. I get it, but there's reason for cautious optimism. The stats and moves say so.

greg23

Liked Posts:
8-8 is very reasonable if average injuries.

10-6 is more likely than another 3-13. Yes, I'll stake that claim firmly.

Not saying it'll happen, but 6-12 is the worst we'll see without massive injuries again. There's been extreme turnover in this roster every year since Pace started...only SEVEN players even remain from the 2014 roster he inherited. Last season alone didn't even net 50% of named starters actually starting, with backups out nearly 1/2 the time even and street signees starting. As OP mentioned, tons of close-ass games even still! Turnovers were THE MAJOR factor on both sides...some due to poor luck, also much to do with poor backup talent not causing and getting/protecting the football.

Nobody has answered me on how the 2015 Dallas Cowboys went 4-12, before winning 13 games last season. I seriously want to know. Besides getting Romo back healthy and Dak filling in after he went down again + Zeke. Tell me that 2 guys can = 9 more wins!?? If so, did they rebuild 1/3 of their roster like the Bears just did? Bears already let go of 26 guys from last year's roster.

OP's not drinking KoolAid, but the Negative Nancy fans & media are just playing emo-victims for the last 25+ years of mediocrity and poor seasons. I get it, but there's reason for cautious optimism. The stats and moves say so.

Matt Cassel
Brandon Weeden
Kellen Moore
1-11 as starters
They rivaled the Hoyer Barkley shit show so yes replacing that one POSITION with all pro level performance and limited turnovers AND having the ROY made the difference.

The Bears don't have that on the roster this year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are going 5-11 or 6-10.

I am just praying that 15-33 is enough to get Fox fired.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not saying it'll happen, but 6-12 is the worst we'll see without massive injuries again.
The only way the Bears could make it to 6-12 would be by going 5-11, making the playoffs, winning the wild card game and losing in the divisional round. Now I like your optimism, but I don't see 5-11 winning even a very weak NFC North, just my opinion though.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are going 5-11 or 6-10.

I am just praying that 15-33 is enough to get Fox fired.

The only alternative to firing him would be to offer him a contract extension since he would be going into the final year of his contract in 2018. I can't see the team being excited about offering an extension for that but then again you never know with this franchise.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unlike the 2016 Bears, who lost an early season game to the Jags when in good health, the 2015 Cowboys truly were "decimated by injury". Tony Romo was 3-1 when he played, the rest of the Cowboy QBs were 1-11. Dez Bryant missed significant time, and wasn't 100% when he played. So while the Bears were missing out on the services of Brian Hoyer and Jeremy Langford, the 2015 Cowboys were actually losing pro bowl players to injury. The Cowboys defense wasn't all that great, and they turned the ball over a ton on offense, which put more pressure on the defense, which resulted in losses.

The strength of their team was the OL, which was good in 2015 and could be a built around in 2016. This is another difference between the Bears and Cowboys...the Cowboys had an identity to build around. Pace has constructed a team with no identity...an offense with a good RB and terrible QBs that ranks near the bottom of the league in rushing attempts, a 3-4 defense using 4-3 players with FA money poured into ILB and DE positions.

In 2016, the Cowboys offense completely changed. The odds are against any team getting a productive rookie QB and a productive rookie RB in the same draft, yet that's what the Cowboys got. Prescott was "good enough" and avoided turnovers...Elliot carried most of the offensive load. They scored more on offense while holding on to the ball...they had some new starters on defense and did well enough when playing with a lead. They were definitely not a strong 13-3 team, their point differntial had them as a projected 10-6 team, and I thought the Packers had a 50/50 shot at beating them in the playoffs, but they obviously improved from 2015.

I guess I'm not sure what your question is. The Cowboys were picking outside the top 3, and got the two best players in the entire draft, with one of those players being a QB. Its one of the most remarkable drafts in NFL history. So is it really all that surprising the Cowboys improved? You could trade the entire Bears current roster for Elliot and Prescott and the Bears would get the better end of the deal because 95% of the guys are replacement level. Ryan Pace's drafts have been terrible by comparison...3 years of picking in the top 10, and not one elite player uncovered. While Pace is aimlessly "turning his roster over", the Cowboys are getting elite players and winning games. Thats kind of how it works in the NFL...the more good players you have, the more games you win.

I get the point and understand you're being a bit facetious but overstated. Trubisky plus Howard could actually turn out better than Prescott and Elliot. Right or wrong, I don't think Pace does that trade straight up because of the potential at the more important position. I also don't think Dallas makes that trade for obvious reasons. Bird in the hand and why the fuck would they want anything to do with the rest of our roster. Our best players (Interior OL) is also theirs. Probably get less value from our roster than almost any other.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They h:yep:d help.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
What 2 elite players??? Prescott is far from elite and chances are he will fail big this year. LOL elite.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
Not saying it'll happen, but 6-12 is the worst we'll see without massive injuries again.

giphy.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What 2 elite players??? Prescott is far from elite and chances are he will fail big this year. LOL elite.

Even if he has a slight sophomore drop off, what makes you think the most likely thing for Prescott in 2017 is that he'll "fail big"?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

If Jaylon Smith makes a successful comeback, wouldn't surprise me to see him be elite as well.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only way the Bears could make it to 6-12 would be by going 5-11, making the playoffs, winning the wild card game and losing in the divisional round. Now I like your optimism, but I don't see 5-11 winning even a very weak NFC North, just my opinion though.

Great response. Clearly an error on my part and worth poking fun at by you guys. Meant 6-10. What happens when on here late at night. :wacko:

I appreciate Rory's reply (#50) also, and agree with much, not with a few others. Hope to find time to respond in full for better discussion. Cheers

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think projecting a player to be a HOFer is a pretty big reach. I also think that you underestimate how good Forte was while playing behind a totally crap offensive line and lousy offensive coordinators.

That gig only counts for Cutty!!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
unfortunately this team is built to not sustain even a small amount of injuries. Agree

the qb postion is a complete unknown. To say it's better then last year is simple a guess. Agree

if howard can repeat then he will be a star. If howard slumps a little then this offense is in big trouble.

Oddly i'm not remotely worried about the wrs. Are you fucking serious?

tes seems to be an upgrade. I can't wait to watch the rookie in live action. "see above post!"

The oline will be ok. They produced a 1k rusher and limited sacks last year with its best to players missing. Enlighten me on who these two great players were.

The defense should be better but i'm not expecting a top 10.
i think they have a better chance than your qb and te scenarios.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I agree with the sentiment that on paper the team is more talented than last year.

I don't think they are good enough or deep enough to have a winning record, but they have improved.
I agree 5-11 at the low end to 8-8 at the high end. Get any kind of consistent play from Glennon/Trubisky and the Bears will win more games. Last year the Bears were 15th in total offense, even with all the injuries at QB the Bears were able to move the ball between the 20's, but could not put the ball into the end zone. With more consistency at that position the Bears should turn some of those red zone field goal attempts into TD's.