What would it take to get Robles from Washington?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
They're desperate for relief pitching. Baker is basically crying for help in his post games. I love the idea of having both Robert and Robles in the system. I think Robertson and Kahnle are perfect fits for them. Would they be enough to get Robles? Robertson would not be a rental and Kahnle has been terrific.
Washington is basically a lock for the division but they have zero chance in the playoffs with that pen.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They're desperate for relief pitching. Baker is basically crying for help in his post games. I love the idea of having both Robert and Robles in the system. I think Robertson and Kahnle are perfect fits for them. Would they be enough to get Robles? Robertson would not be a rental and Kahnle has been terrific.
Washington is basically a lock for the division but they have zero chance in the playoffs with that pen.

I do not give Kahnle up, period. This kid has star written all over him. Watching him come in a pitch the 7th and 8th yesterday was something else. Getting a DP ball and then setting the Jays down in order was terrific. His stuff is electric.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I do not give Kahnle up, period. This kid has star written all over him. Watching him come in a pitch the 7th and 8th yesterday was something else. Getting a DP ball and then setting the Jays down in order was terrific. His stuff is electric.

He has been outstanding since being called up. Almost automatic... However, Robles is 20 years old and is a potential star. He could be another cornerstone to the rebuild.
Plus, they have Burdi waiting in the wings.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He has been outstanding since being called up. Almost automatic... However, Robles is 20 years old and is a potential star. He could be another cornerstone to the rebuild.

I agree. Some people just don't get how a rebuild works. The idea of Robert, Robles and Garcia in the OF sounds pretty sweet to me. You don't let a 28 yr old middle reliever block that from happening....I don't give a shit how well he's doing. I doubt Washington would bite on the deal anyway, but you never know....Dusty's bitching can grate on a GM.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I agree. Some people just don't get how a rebuild works. The idea of Robert, Robles and Garcia in the OF sounds pretty sweet to me. You don't let a 28 yr old middle reliever block that from happening....I don't give a shit how well he's doing. I doubt Washington would bite on the deal anyway, but you never know....Dusty's bitching can grate on a GM.

I couldn't agree more. You're right too about Dusty. He's positioning the front office to either make a move or take the blame. In regard to the price for Robles, the Sox might have to throw in another piece which is fine as long as it is a veteran. I guess it depends on how the Nats view their chance to win it all with an upgraded bullpen.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I just do not give up a young stud along with Robertson who has excellent value. Besides, I want a left handed hitting center fielder. THey have more than enough right handed hitters in the system.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You also do not know how much having a stud like that kid is so valuable. IF they want Robertson, then maybe trade for him. But no way do I give up two guys who can do with these guys can for a right handed hitting center fielder prospect who has no power. In addition, the season is also only half over and why should they not try to win their division. I say go for it.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You also do not know how much having a stud like that kid is so valuable. IF they want Robertson, then maybe trade for him. But no way do I give up two guys who can do with these guys can for a right handed hitting center fielder prospect who has no power. In addition, the season is also only half over and why should they not try to win their division. I say go for it.

Thankfully, Im not a Sox fan so I can look objectively and see the deep in-rooted ideas that Reinsdorf and Williams put forth of winning every year at any cost. To hell with the future. Thanks for proving my point.....

For the Sox fans who have the patience to wait for the finished product, hopefully Hahn will stand his ground.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Robertson and Tommy Kahnle for Robles? Done deal from the White Sox perspective without hesitation. Total overpay by Washington.

From MB on Robles

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 70 | Arm: 65 | Field: 60 | Overall: 60

Signed for $225,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, Robles' eye-opening U.S. debut the following year saw him finish the season as the youngest everyday player in the Class A Short Season New York-Penn League. He built on that success last year with an equally impressive full-season debut, earning midseason All-Star honors in the South Atlantic League before moving up to the Carolina League.

Robles showcases all five tools along with elite athleticism on a daily basis. He has ingredients to become a plus hitter from the right side of the plate, with a compact but explosive swing and a present feel for using the whole field. He has juice in his bat but currently lacks in-game power, although that should improve as he matures physically and learns to leverage his swing. Robles' approach and strike-zone judgment both bely his age, and his tendency to hold his ground in the batter's box resulted in 34 hit-by-pitches last season, second most in the Minors. A plus-plus runner, Robles impacts games with his wheels on the bases as well as in center field, where he has exceptional range and instincts as well as arm strength that's among the best in the Minors at the position.

The Nationals love Robles' makeup and work ethic, and it's already made him a clubhouse leader early in his career. He has the athleticism, physical tools and baseball savvy to continue to pass every challenge the organization throws his way. He's a few years away from the Majors, but Robles is well on his way towards becoming a franchise player.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Robertson and Tommy Kahnle for Robles? Done deal from the White Sox perspective without hesitation. Total overpay by Washington.

From MB on Robles

Scouting grades: Hit: 60 | Power: 50 | Run: 70 | Arm: 65 | Field: 60 | Overall: 60

Signed for $225,000 out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, Robles' eye-opening U.S. debut the following year saw him finish the season as the youngest everyday player in the Class A Short Season New York-Penn League. He built on that success last year with an equally impressive full-season debut, earning midseason All-Star honors in the South Atlantic League before moving up to the Carolina League.

Robles showcases all five tools along with elite athleticism on a daily basis. He has ingredients to become a plus hitter from the right side of the plate, with a compact but explosive swing and a present feel for using the whole field. He has juice in his bat but currently lacks in-game power, although that should improve as he matures physically and learns to leverage his swing. Robles' approach and strike-zone judgment both bely his age, and his tendency to hold his ground in the batter's box resulted in 34 hit-by-pitches last season, second most in the Minors. A plus-plus runner, Robles impacts games with his wheels on the bases as well as in center field, where he has exceptional range and instincts as well as arm strength that's among the best in the Minors at the position.

The Nationals love Robles' makeup and work ethic, and it's already made him a clubhouse leader early in his career. He has the athleticism, physical tools and baseball savvy to continue to pass every challenge the organization throws his way. He's a few years away from the Majors, but Robles is well on his way towards becoming a franchise player.

Was it worth it for the Cubs to give up Torres for a Chapman rental? The answer is yes because they won the WS. Was it an overpayment? For sure even with the injury that was reported today which is coincidental.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Was it worth it for the Cubs to give up Torres for a Chapman rental? The answer is yes because they won the WS. Was it an overpayment? For sure even with the injury that was reported today which is coincidental.

Completely agree. I'm just pointing out that if Washington rang hahn's phone you give him the entire pen for Robles.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Completely agree. I'm just pointing out that if Washington rang hahn's phone you give him the entire pen for Robles.

Nah. Then you would have to replace the best set-up guy in baseball and a definite candidate for closer along with one of the top closers in baseball.. And all for a guy who has little power and hits from the right side.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that Kahn ought to talk to the Dodgers about Calhoun and Verdugo. Both left handed hitting guys. Both play outfield and Verdugo can also play 2b. Dodgers might go for Robertson as he was discussed in trade talks before. What I like about this idea is that both Calhoun and Verdugo are ready to contribute quickly and both project to be good power prospects from the left side. ALso, the Sox have dealt with the Dodgers before with success and I think that is important when considering trades.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Nah. Then you would have to replace the best set-up guy in baseball and a definite candidate for closer along with one of the top closers in baseball.. And all for a guy who has little power and hits from the right side.

1) He's 20
2) He's got 12-18 hr potential
3) He's an ideal CF
4) You have to get past your mental block that you need platoon players. You need players that can flat out hit regardless of how they hold the bat
5) Robertson is a middle of the pack closer.
6) Tommy is old and having only 55 innings of recent "decentness." AKA replaceable and not that valuable. Nice to have but not worth a lot.
7) Andrew Miller says hello

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I think that Kahn ought to talk to the Dodgers about Calhoun and Verdugo. Both left handed hitting guys. Both play outfield and Verdugo can also play 2b. Dodgers might go for Robertson as he was discussed in trade talks before. What I like about this idea is that both Calhoun and Verdugo are ready to contribute quickly and both project to be good power prospects from the left side. ALso, the Sox have dealt with the Dodgers before with success and I think that is important when considering trades.

You want two guys worse than Robles for Robertson?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Absolutely. There is not one single pitcher in the White Sox bullpen that isn't replaceable.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Absolutely. There is not one single pitcher in the White Sox bullpen that isn't replaceable.

And that's not some sort of new revelation. It's why relievers rarely get "paid." There are maybe 10-15 relief pitchers that are worth paying. Everyone else is replaceable. It's true for basically every team in baseball.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1) He's 20
2) He's got 12-18 hr potential
3) He's an ideal CF
4) You have to get past your mental block that you need platoon players. You need players that can flat out hit regardless of how they hold the bat
5) Robertson is a middle of the pack closer.
6) Tommy is old and having only 55 innings of recent "decentness." AKA replaceable and not that valuable. Nice to have but not worth a lot.
7) Andrew Miller says hello

You are very wrong on many counts and the above shows it in spades:(

1. Robertson is not a "middle of the pack closer". It is a ridiculous assessment. He is considered one of the best in the game and gets paid according to his value.

2. Tommy is not "old". Where do you get this stuff from? Cooper made a release point change to his delivery and the tremendous result is great control and electric stuff. IF they trade Robertson, He goes in as the closer and they back fill his job with one of the young guns coming up from the minors.

3. As for Robles, he is a good prospect. But I prefer one with better power projections like the two Dodger guys I mentioned who hit from the left side. Robles is not the answer.

4. What the hell is the bullshit about a mental block? ANd where am I talking about platooning players? A baseball line-up should be balanced with hitters from both sides of the plate particularly with the advent of the power arms in the bull-pens, particularly right handed power arms. With a batting line-up of virtually all right handed hitters, a good reliever has an easier way to get successive hitters out.

By the way, you seem to think that young is always better when it comes to projecting players value. It isn't. I am not saying Robles will not turn into a good player. He might. But there may be better prospects out there. IF they make a trade for Robles, it should not include both Robertson and Tommy. Give them Robertson and someone else. Guys that have the kind of stuff that Tommy has are hard to find and for you to call it "recent decentness" is laughable.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You want two guys worse than Robles for Robertson?

No. That is not what I said. I said that Hahn ought to talk to the Dodgers about both of them. It would be a one for one deal with perhaps a sweetener thrown in. And both Calhoun or Verdugo are on the same level as Robles in terms of value and both are more ready to step into a major league line-up in the near future. And both project to have more power from the left side than Robles does and Robles is at least 2 years away in his progress.

The Sox have an over-all weakness in left handed hitting as well as over-all outfield prowess.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

You obviously devalue the capability of a bull-pen. Robertson is a top notch closer and Tommy K. is the best set-up guy in baseball right now.