IST: Cubs vs Padres

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Grrrrr, this team couldn't hit it's way out of a paper bag!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think his command is a work in progress but the potential is there obviously. Given how they are using Montgomery i'm kind of inclined to view Butler starts as games where you'd throw those 2 each 4-5 innings as pseudo starters. Obviously when Hendricks is hurt that doesn't work but one of the things that's been lost in the modernization of the game and FA is letting guys take their turn in rotations. In the 80's you'd just throw a guy like Butler out there and let him take his lumps as he grew into what he might be. But in the modern era it's hard to do that because with pitchers who take awhile to develop by the time they get where they are going they are FAs. I genuinely like the idea of piggy backing starters. It's a concept used in minor league ball. There's obviously some issues with it hence why it's not already being used but it strikes me as a solid developmental tool if you get buy in and if you have the right players/ideology.

Butler needs to focus on getting ground ball outs. If he goes up in the zone it should be for inducing pop ups. About it. Until he gets more economical he is a 5 inning guy.

Montgomery was getting easy outs on his time out. Pulled 6 easy with plenty of pitch count to work with. Was a O decision to yank him vs a pitching issue.

Now I see it as it is Montgomery's job now and Butler is holding Hendrick's spot ATM.

I really don't want to look too far ahead because there are too many factors involved. Will they trade? Hendricks healthy or not. Etc. for now it is one game at a time.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
92 pitches in the 5th. That puts the pen into a 5 inning save situation. That rarely goes well.
When your team is not hitting, that rarely goes well either.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
When your team is not hitting, that rarely goes well either.

Besides the point. The main point is: Butler:8 games 38.2 IP. avg: 4.82 IP/game. Which means 4.18 goes onto the pen.

Lester: 6 per.
Arrieta: 5.5
Lackey: 5.82

So think of it this way:

Lester goes 6. Then Edwards/Uhera/Wade
Lackey: 5 2/3 Strop gets in the 6th Rondon 7th 8/9 2 more guys blown
Jake: again pulled in the 6th. Now you have to make some one go back to back and hope you have the lead to use Wade

And add 4 more guys to Butler's day etc

Eventually your pen erodes

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is why a 2 inning guy pays off. I for one wouldn't mind seeing Frankoff getting another shot and piggybacking him with Butler to get at least 7 that game.