3 Perspectives From The Bears Off-season Program

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patrick Finley

Glennon has looked …

Comfortable as a leader. He has concerns about his fate beyond this season — and he should. But Glennon has spent the last four seasons as a backup dreaming of how he’d handle a team as a starter — on the field and with off-field bonding. One sign of his leadership: He plans to gather offensive players sometime in July to work on routes.

Mitch Trubisky has looked …

Like a rookie. There’s no debating his athleticism, arm strength — and inexperience. That’s why the calls for him to start are ridiculous, at least for now.

John Fox’s biggest challenge will be …

Winning games, and fast. We talk about how the subtleties Fox will have to maneuver — massaging the timelines of his two quarterbacks, balancing youth with veteran newcomers and managing the pressure of a prove-it year — but the only way he’ll continue to get chances is if he wins games. The Bears must show improvement, and fast. They might not be favored to win a game until Week 5. An 0-4 start would make Fox’s future and Trubisky’s timeline the only relevant storylines of the season.

I’ve been impressed by …

Rookie running back Tarik Cohen. He has an amazing fifth gear and has been a thrill to watch during the offseason program. Standing only 5-6, though, the fourth-round pick is supposed to shine in shorts. The question is how he can take the pounding in pads.

The player with the most to prove in camp is …

Kyle Fuller is at best the Bears’ third-most reliable outside cornerback right now and will be fighting for a job in Bourbonnais. After missing all of last season after a seemingly minor arthroscopic knee procedure, the 2014 first-round pick has a lot to prove to the coaching staff.

Are the Bears’ injuries worth worrying about?

Yes, yes and yes. The Bears redesigned their practice schedule and offseason training regimen in part to avoid another rash of injuries. Quarterback Mark Sanchez’s knee injury and wide receiver Cam Meredith’s thumb problem — both suffered during OTAs — are minor but nonetheless concerning. Kyle Long (ankle), Zach Miller (foot) and Danny Trevathan (patellar tendon) could miss the start of training camp because of injuries suffered last season, when the Bears finished with 19 players on injured reserve.

Have the Bears made enough progress this offseason?

Probably not. They were unable to land big-name free agents in the offseason. They used their draft capital on a quarterback who might redshirt and offensive players from small schools. They’re counting on improved health, a patched defensive backfield and a steady season from Glennon to improve from 3-13. It’s impossible to tell in June whether those bets will pay off.

Mark Potash

Mike Glennon has looked …

Like a quarterback with no NFL starts since 2014 and only 18 total in four NFL seasons playing for a new team and learning a new offense with a new offensive line that is missing its two best players and an entire group of receivers he had never thrown to. It’s difficult to tell how much Glennon is grasping this offense because so many others are trying to grasp it, as well.

Intriguing. Trubisky’s accuracy is impressive. It’s easy to see why he was a first-round pick. He doesn’t look out of place. If the starting job were an open competition instead of Glennon’s no matter what, at this point there’s no reason to believe that Trubisky would not be a contender.

Managing the quarterback situation. If Mike Glennon is good from the start, it won’t be an issue. But if Glennon is a work in progress as he is likely to be, the Bears can “bunker down” and insulate themselves from “outside noise” all they want . They won’t be able to keep the quarterback chatter from affecting the Bears’ organization, including the locker room.

I’ve been impressed by …

Tight end Adam Shaheen. With his impressive size, speed and athleticism, the rookie from Division II Ashland showed enough to support GM Ryan Pace’s belief that he can contribute as a rookie.

Guard Kyle Long. The three-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman is arguably the Bears’ best player. But after playing through a shoulder injury, missing the second half of last season with an ugly ankle injury and missing much of the practice portion of the offseason program, it remains to be seen just how much the Bears can count on Long not only being there, but being as good as he was.

Yes. Maybe a lot of it is bad luck. But after two seasons of injury issues under John Fox, the Bears have lost the benefit of the doubt. Considering the Bears’ history under Fox, if Danny Trevathan doesn’t spend the first six games on the physically unable-to-perform (PUP) list, it would be a bonus. Long, guard Josh Sitton, tight end Zach Miller, linebacker Pernell McPhee and defensive lineman Jaye Howard all bear watching in the early going.

Too hard to tell. You can’t blame the players and coaches for being upbeat, but the “signs of progress” are all too familiar — a better vibe, better communication, more familiarity with the offense/defense, hungry players with something to prove, etc. The Bears have a real chance to be better than people think, but the best advice for Bears fans right now is: Demand to see it before you believe it.

Adam Jahns

Mike Glennon has looked …

Like the leader and the professional the Bears hoped he’d be, especially after Mitch Trubisky was drafted. But on the field, Glennon looks like a work in progress. It’s apparent that he’s learning a new offense and throwing to new teammates. He should improve with time and as competitions sort out the positions around him.

Like a quick learner. The Bears have changed his footwork, and being under center and running huddles are new to him, but he still played like a first-round pick at times. His accuracy stood out in every practice. Training camp will provide different challenges, but the fans who see him in Bourbonnais should come away impressed.

Eliminating any conflicts inside Halas Hall and/or controversies outside of it when it comes to his quarterbacks. Every false step by Glennon could turn into calls for Trubisky. Fox is full of Fox-isms, and his words can be misconstrued — especially on social media. It’s best to keep things straightforward: Glennon is the starter until further notice; Trubisky has to sit and learn.

I’ve been impressed by …

Cornerback Prince Amukamara. He was a problem for every receiver he faced. That might be a bad omen for the Bears’ receivers, but Amukamara thinks his style of play fits coordinator Vic Fangio’s defense. He gets to use his vision more and directly challenge receivers.

Tight end Zach Miller. The Bears love him. He has been a productive player, and his personality fits the Bears’ ideal profile. But cornerback Tracy Porter was the same way — and now he’s gone. Tight end is deep. Second-round pick Adam Shaheen and free-agent addition Dion Sims are locks. But Ben Braunecker and Daniel Brown also showed improvement during the offseason program.

Yes, because key players have them. But at the same time, the answer is no because none of the injuries is related. It’s easy to lump all of the Bears’ injuries together and say the team has systemic issues to fix. But look around the league; injuries happen. The Bears are overdue for better luck. They have to be, right?

This offseason? This roster is the culmination of three drafts and three runs at free agency for general manager Ryan Pace and coach John Fox. It’s a roster full of players they want, not ones they inherited. The Bears’ brass needed time; this is a rebuild. But it’s time for all the progress made with the rebuild to turn into results.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hearing about Trubisky's accuracy

giphy.gif

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The comments about Trubisky seem to be a little more optimistic.

The best they can come up with Glennon is that he is professional.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Liked AJ's take

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate the off season...

Finley- no doubting his.... inexperience is this comment because of Trubisky's limited college play or has his camp performance shown other examples? Seems like a lazy take.

For the love of god I cant wait for live play to show us what the Bears have put together.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Finley, The player with the most to prove in camp is not Kyle Fuller and obviously the leader of the team, Mike Glennon

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like there is hope at the QB position. WHEN was the last time we could say that as Bears fans?????

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Sounds like there is hope at the QB position. WHEN was the last time we could say that as Bears fans?????

To about 70-percent of the fans that hope was last year after Cutler was a year removed from his best QB rating of his career...

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
+ fucking 1.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Sounds like the same hype I've been hearing forever.
I'll believe it when I see it.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Finley is full of shit. Such a lazy assessment. Neither here nor there in terms of analysis, stating the obvious and could have been written by anyone without witnessing any of the Bears' off-season

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I could nitpick through these opinions, but the thing that stood out to me most was characterizing Miller as a productive player.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Finley never offers anything interesting. His podcast is almost unlistenable.

He essentially talks/writes for a Bears fan who knows nothing.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this Finely guy heaped praise on Trubisky, warranted or not, you guys would be sounding the trumpets. Not surprised that he is being ripped because Bears fans love to over elevate their projections on every player because they are gluttons for punishment.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
At least the Glennon signing is looking like it's paying off

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Finley, The player with the most to prove in camp is not Kyle Fuller and obviously the leader of the team, Mike Glennon

I don't know about that. Fuller is in a prove it or lose it position right now. Its not a bad pick for most to prove. Either he shows he is a starter for us or another NFL team or he will meander about the NFL as a backup corner.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate the off season...

Finley- no doubting his.... inexperience is this comment because of Trubisky's limited college play or has his camp performance shown other examples? Seems like a lazy take.

For the love of god I cant wait for live play to show us what the Bears have put together.

Taking this comment by itself looks like a negative, but at least the other journalists there helped put some context to it.....

I agree, this team is a giant mystery......I would like to see the product on the field soon.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Taking this comment by itself looks like a negative, but at least the other journalists there helped put some context to it.....

I agree, this team is a giant mystery......I would like to see the product on the field soon.

Im cool with a negative assement or a positive one but give some rational or site examples for your assessment. Ya know, real journalism.