Marian Hossa to LTIR

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two seasons without a Stanley Cup? Pffft. Time for change.

And, one of those changes could very well involve a cornerstone of all three championship teams — Marian Hossa.

According to several sources, there is a legitimate possibility Hossa has played his final NHL game. (He could not be reached for comment. Neither could his agent, Ritch Winter. The Blackhawks declined to comment.) Apparently, he suffers from a serious allergic reaction to the equipment he wears.

The sources who confirmed the allergy stressed not to make fun of it, with one saying, “It’s only funny to anyone who’s never had it.” Details are sketchy, because no one would give full information, but the medication necessary to combat the allergy is potent enough that doctors wanted his blood tested every few weeks to make sure there were no major side effects.

That’s very serious stuff, and word is doctors worried about Hossa taking the medicine for extended periods of time.

If that’s the case, it would be the end of a Hall of Fame career. No debate here, he deserves entry.

But it would not come without controversy. The Blackhawks signed him to a 12-year, $63.3-million deal in 2009, which carries an annual average value of $5.275 million. It is, however, a back-diving contract, a structure that was heavily penalized in the 2013 CBA.

Hossa is scheduled to be paid $1 million during each of the next four seasons, meaning almost 94 per cent of his contract is already paid. If he were to retire now, the Blackhawks would be hit with what are called “cap recapture” penalties — $3.675 million off their club’s cap number from next season until 2020-21. For a team already facing a crunch, that’s a massive blow.

Unless he doesn’t retire. He simply goes on long-term injured reserve.

Opponents, who won’t want to see Chicago benefit, will be angry, but there is plenty of precedent. Philadelphia (and later Arizona) benefitted from using LTIR on Chris Pronger. Toronto stashed Joffrey Lupul and Stephane Robidas. The Blackhawks could argue Hossa is no different.

Undoubtedly, some clarity is coming in the next few days. But changes are coming to Chicago in ways we did not expect.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-marian-hossa-might-played-final-nhl-game/sn-amp/

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i_am_so_sad_12.jpg

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Some saying they've experienced issues like it saying it's your own sweat that's the issues being trapped on your skin maybe equipment changes over years.

Zwaski thinks his inside report from weeks ago could of been talking about Hossa via this idea all along now too

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some saying they've experienced issues like it saying it's your own sweat that's the issues being trapped on your skin maybe equipment changes over years.

Zwaski thinks his inside report from weeks ago could of been talking about Hossa via this idea all along now too

Damn!!! This is a really fucked up situation. :confused: :shrug: :(

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not really buying this story. This seems like a pretty obvious move. It's no coincidence that this happens the moment all the money is gone. Hossa has already made a bunch of money in his career, to risk a concussion or catastrophic injury on 1 mil a year would be foolish. And many already speculated for a while now that the Blackhawks would find some doctor to justify putting him on LTIR.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I am sure the hawks will pay for this, hossa will be missed. You figure its that under armor most wear under the pads anyway would keep the problem at bay, but this is some nasty puss filled deal.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm so torn here.... between my love for Big Hoss and my hate for Tater...

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This fucking sucks. Hossa's the best.

Once we get through all the stages of grief, though, there's $5m+ of cap space that just opened up. That's something.

Someone make sure Tater keeps posting, eh?

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
One of the best FA signings in Chicago sports history. Amazing HOF career. The guy probably should have retired after the Raffi Torres hit. There is a good chance that hit and the other head injuries he suffered with take years off his life.

Hossa has obviously slowed down significantly but he was incredibly solid last year for being 37-38. Now we need to make some moves to infuse this talent with roster. Who can we get with our now available $5-$6M?

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
19400029_10155590986698258_4307119586638330301_n.jpg

I'll leave the conspiracy theories to you guys.
I will miss probably the greatest free agent signing in the history of Chicago sports.
The photo above is from the game where Hossa scored #500. Preskate against Philadelphia. I got a few shots after the puck went in.
My father in law was on the ice for the anthem, then I got to see history made moments later.

Happy trails, Hossa. You wore the Indian Head well.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Maybe he can lead Slovakia to win a medal next year in the non NHL involved Olympics

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Some pretty wild news here. To those that thinks this is "fishy"...I get it on the surface, but the protocol and everything that the Blackhawks will have to go through to prove the injury and that it simply isn't Hossa wanting to "retire", will be lengthy I am sure. I have no doubt that this is the full truth here.

The Blackhawks are a worse team today than they were yesterday, even with the extra cap space. Losing Hossa is going to hurt. What an absolute beast on the ice.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I've coached various levels in the past, from Squirts up to Midgets. One thing I/we would have the younger players do is watch a Blackhawks game and spotlight a player. Watch what that player does on the ice, away from the puck, on offense, defense, etc...and there was no better player for someone learning the game to watch than Hossa. Loved watching him out there. Played hockey the right way.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
There's been other players to retire from it

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some pretty wild news here. To those that thinks this is "fishy"...I get it on the surface, but the protocol and everything that the Blackhawks will have to go through to prove the injury and that it simply isn't Hossa wanting to "retire", will be lengthy I am sure. I have no doubt that this is the full truth here.

The Blackhawks are a worse team today than they were yesterday, even with the extra cap space. Losing Hossa is going to hurt. What an absolute beast on the ice.

Absolutely. He will go down as one of the best Blackhawks ever to wear the the red jersey. But the one thing no player will ever defeat is Father Time...and he's showing up on a few fronts on this team. Only good thing about this news is that it's a place to start.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1st Bigfoot now Big Hoss. Happy trails Hoss going to miss watching you play, and telling my sons that is how you play any sport. Give it your all, and never give up.