Marian Hossa to LTIR

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard Hossa thought the allergy was Toews for a while, but after considerable time away from him off line, while his scoring returned the itching remained.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Q said many of the well known Hossa off days of practice were related to having him not need to suit up n deal with this skin issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I say they should let Hossa play naked... make an exception for da Big Hoss

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Feel bad for Hossa, but being in his 1 million per year payment time, why would a man that made 89 million still want to go thru this shit to get ready, even without this horrible disease.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Feel bad for Hossa, but being in his 1 million per year payment time, why would a man that made 89 million still want to go thru this shit to get ready, even without this horrible disease.

because, he's a HOF player that lives and breathes hockey and has dedicated his life to it? It's part of him, part of his identity. whether it's not or in a few years, no matter what the pay, it's going to be substantially hard for him to walk away. Hell, look at Jagr, this may not of even been Hossa's last contract given how well he's played in spite of this condition.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can anyone explain what are our options/consequences with Hossa right now, assuming he cannot/will not play?

If he goes on LTIR for the whole year, do we get all 5.2M cap space back?

If he retires, what happens?

Presumably we can trade him to a team needing to hit the cap floor?

Hossa can't expect to get 5.2M out of our cap space and simply sit on the roster and play zero games, right?

I love the guy, but we would be down a roster spot and a ton of cap space.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One of the best FA signings in Chicago sports history. Amazing HOF career. The guy probably should have retired after the Raffi Torres hit. There is a good chance that hit and the other head injuries he suffered with take years off his life.

Hossa has obviously slowed down significantly but he was incredibly solid last year for being 37-38. Now we need to make some moves to infuse this talent with roster. Who can we get with our now available $5-$6M?

He is one of my all time favorite Hawks. And he went beyond his talent level which itself was significant. Watching this guy never quit on a play had to be inspiring all of the young players he played with. I will miss him:(

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can anyone explain what are our options/consequences with Hossa right now, assuming he cannot/will not play?

If he goes on LTIR for the whole year, do we get all 5.2M cap space back?

If he retires, what happens?

Presumably we can trade him to a team needing to hit the cap floor?

Hossa can't expect to get 5.2M out of our cap space and simply sit on the roster and play zero games, right?

I love the guy, but we would be down a roster spot and a ton of cap space.

I believe the Hawks would be responsible for $3.7 million for a few years if he simply retired. Since is LTIR, I think the Hawks are on the books for a hit of $1 million for a few years. Chris Pronger has been on LTIR for several years now

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if this was posted.

LAS VEGAS – On the ice and in the locker room, the Blackhawks will be feeling the loss of Marian Hossa. But what does it mean for them on the business side?

Hossa will miss the 2017-18 season due to severe side effects from medication he’s been taking to treat a skin disorder. Hossa has four years remaining on his current contract, with a $5.275 million cap hit per season. Earlier this week, the NHL announced that the salary cap will be $75 million for the 2017-18 season. If the Blackhawks spend up to that $75 million mark, they could utilize Hossa’s entire $5.275 million cap hit on other players.
[MORE: NHL community reacts to news of Marian Hossa's medical condition]
According to CapFriendly — by the way, the website’s FAQs on the LTIR is handy — the Blackhawks cannot place Hossa on LTIR until the day before the season. A team can be 10 percent over the cap during the summer but a team must be cap compliant when the regular season begins.
The Blackhawks are currently $2.52 million over the $75 million cap thanks in large part to player bonuses. The Blackhawks lost Trevor van Riemsdyk ($825,000 cap hit) to the Vegas Golden Knights on Wednesday night. Marcus Kruger ($3.083 cap hit this season and the next) remains with the Blackhawks but there's still a possibility he could be moved. That would also alleviate the Blackhawks’ cap issues. The team will have a few voids to fill this offseason, including finding a backup goaltender.
Hossa’s loss on the ice will be a tough one for the Blackhawks to absorb. On the business side, the Blackhawks could gain financial flexibility.

link

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I kind of wonder if Hossa's skin disease is shingles or somekind of similar thing. With shingles there really isn't a "cure" and from what I know, it can be very very painful and victims of it avoid putting anything on the sore areas:(

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
because, he's a HOF player that lives and breathes hockey and has dedicated his life to it? It's part of him, part of his identity. whether it's not or in a few years, no matter what the pay, it's going to be substantially hard for him to walk away. Hell, look at Jagr, this may not of even been Hossa's last contract given how well he's played in spite of this condition.

I hope like hell he can come back for a victory lap at least. If it is shingles which I suspect, this can go away eventually. Sometimes it is a matter of weeks or months. OTher times, it can last years. Bottom line, he will be very much missed.