***OFFICIAL*** Anyone ever DIY their own floor door yourself before?

DIY your own floor door yourself b4?

• Total voters

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I had some unwelcome guests in the last few weeks n I kinda expects a couple more so was thinking of putting in a floor door 4 a couple reasons

1. Sneak out so I can circle round and rekt any1 who comes to the normal doors tryin 2 mess around

2. Hide some chit that I normally wud keep in the closet or the attic or my storage locker or the bus station lockers

I'm pretty handy if I have time 2 practice with the right tools n can get any tool I need from around the neighborhood or some of the vans next door 2 my work, so be specific n I'm sure I can figure it out.

Thx 2 any1 who can help a bruv out!

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've done some floor dooring. You will need to fashion a rudimentary lathe.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've done some floor dooring. You will need to fashion a rudimentary lathe.

Do you have a DIY guide for crafting a lathe I can do myself?

I'm kind of broke atm, so I don't want to have to visit home depot and I'm pretty sure my work buds don't have a lathe in their vans and are 2 dum to DIY a lathe anyways.

I don't mind doing my own other DIY just to do this DIY floordoor myself, but this is quickly turning into a week long project N I need the floordoor ready b4 Saturday night. We're having a basement party and theres no telling WHO will show up buddy.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I'm kind of broke atm, so I don't want to have to visit home depot and I'm pretty sure my work buds don't have a lathe in their vans and are 2 dum to DIY a lathe anyways.

I don't mind doing my own other DIY just to do this DIY floordoor myself, but this is quickly turning into a week long project N I need the floordoor ready b4 Saturday night. We're having a basement party and theres no telling WHO will show up buddy.

I have a Do-it Your-Self DIY guide that helps you create your own DIY Guide.... would that help?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think you just need a bow and pencil.

[video=youtube;gUT8doDpBI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUT8doDpBI0[/video]

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cut the hole, box the joists and hole edges to support the hole and door perimeter. Reinforce the floor door (cut out) as needed, perhaps some of it before the original cuts so it remains in one piece when removed, depending. Finish and/or trim edges as needed for appearance but a thin circular saw with a hand saw to complete the cut at the corners should leave an acceptable gap that may just need some sanding., just be careful to nut burn the wood when you drop the blade on your line. If it's not too heavy to lift out, you won't need to miter for hinges. Just add a few shims so it doesn't move, one of which could be a levered grab to get it open.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think you just need a bow and pencil.

[video=youtube;gUT8doDpBI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUT8doDpBI0[/video]

This is no time for jokes you walking dish of seafood paella

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

I am shocked!

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Cut the hole, box the joists and hole edges to support the hole and door perimeter. Reinforce the floor door (cut out) as needed, perhaps some of it before the original cuts so it remains in one piece when removed, depending. Finish and/or trim edges as needed for appearance but a thin circular saw with a hand saw to complete the cut at the corners should leave an acceptable gap that may just need some sanding., just be careful to nut burn the wood when you drop the blade on your line. If it's not too heavy to lift out, you won't need to miter for hinges. Just add a few shims so it doesn't move, one of which could be a levered grab to get it open.

Thanks for the tip, problem is this needs to be at least 4ft X 6ft so i can fit a safe down into the crawspace if i need to. This might be a problem because the beams under the floor where i want the door to be need to get moved or maybe i can sister some beams around it? Uncle coming over today with some car jacks so we can support the floor around where I'm cutting - already got a circular saw and some wood and some bolts, gonna custom build the actual door.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lot of good info here, too bad Urlock isn't around he's pretty handy. One thing not mentioned is a fog machine, you seem like a party dude and you prolly crank that thing up for your get togethers. Just make sure your floor door opening will accomodate that size fog machine.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Fuck the circular and jig saw - a chainsaw will have that bitch opened up in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not difficult, but it depends on the house. I would probably use my reciprocating saw and a dremel. ideally you could mount the hinges underneath.

You probably can safely cut one of those floor beams without compromising the structural integrity much.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is this actually about cornholing?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks for the tip, problem is this needs to be at least 4ft X 6ft so i can fit a safe down into the crawspace if i need to. This might be a problem because the beams under the floor where i want the door to be need to get moved or maybe i can sister some beams around it? Uncle coming over today with some car jacks so we can support the floor around where I'm cutting - already got a circular saw and some wood and some bolts, gonna custom build the actual door.

I'd hire someone and them lock em down there when it's time to pay. Are you related to John Gacy?

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd hire someone and them lock em down there when it's time to pay. Are you related to John Gacy?

Not a great memory. I guess he has no basement, just a crawlspace. He could be overthinking the whole thing.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The other thing you can do is prop it up - you can just cut wood for that. 6x4 is large, so you might be running into crossbeams. Maybe you should mix some concrete and make a bunker.