chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs don't homer they don't score....
Shocking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Same Cubs. Hit good one game and then go legend the next seven.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At least the Brewers are really a bad team

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs don't homer they don't score....
Shocking

That is the player type they went after. BB/HR but SO prone. Almora was the exception as he is a contact hitter. But we saw them wreck Castro's mechanics to turn him into their type of hitter and we saw that become a train wreck. Lesson learned.

It is just the way they drafted. High impact OBA types but not high BA. So they were not built to play small ball. More like station to station via BB vs single. Then wait for the big hit.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
That is the player type they went after. BB/HR but SO prone. Almora was the exception as he is a contact hitter. But we saw them wreck Castro's mechanics to turn him into their type of hitter and we saw that become a train wreck. Lesson learned.

It is just the way they drafted. High impact OBA types but not high BA. So they were not built to play small ball. More like station to station via BB vs single. Then wait for the big hit.

234 average against righties. The lowest in the league!

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You really need to depend on the lefties those days. Schwarber hitting sub .200. Rizzo hitting .260. Heyward the same. Zo struggling. Happ hitting below .250 for the most part.

But they do take walks and they do hit bombs. They do not do situational hitting well.

I get it to a degree. The current trends are don't give up outs to move a base runner up. It goes against OBA. That philosophy has been around sense money ball. Seeing how this team is a metrics team you really won't see too much high risk plays or bunting guys over and giving pitchers easy outs.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That is the player type they went after. BB/HR but SO prone.

Don't really agree with this. They went for the best hitters available. In 2012, they obviously took Almora 8th. As you noted he's more the exception to that profile. In 2013, Bryant was far and away the best college hitter. Only other bats in the top 10 were Clint Frazier, Colin Moran, Hunter Dozier and Austin Meadows. Moran, Frazier and Dozier have 50 grade hit tools. Meadows has a 60 grade hit tool but taking Bryant with his power profile as a college bat over Meadows who was in high school isn't a tough choice. 2014 they took Schwarber. Other top 10 bats were Nick Gordon, Alex Jackson, and Michael Conforto. Gordon has a 55 grade hit tool. Jackson was a HS slugger who's disappointed greatly. Conforto has been a .250 hitter. In 2015 they took Happ with Cornelius Randolph, Tyler Stephenson, Josh Naylor, Garrett Whitley, Trent Clark, Kevin Newman and Richie Martin being other top 20 bats. Trent Clark and Kevin Newman are the only guys with a 60 grade hit tool.

Point here being it's more a systemic lack of high contact bats being developed rather than a preference for high strike out guys. I think you can make a very strong case that they actually did take the best hitter available. Maybe you argue that some HS players have higher upsides and factor that in but obviously they are a front office that chooses college over upside risk.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Don't really agree with this. They went for the best hitters available. In 2012, they obviously took Almora 8th. As you noted he's more the exception to that profile. In 2013, Bryant was far and away the best college hitter. Only other bats in the top 10 were Clint Frazier, Colin Moran, Hunter Dozier and Austin Meadows. Moran, Frazier and Dozier have 50 grade hit tools. Meadows has a 60 grade hit tool but taking Bryant with his power profile as a college bat over Meadows who was in high school isn't a tough choice. 2014 they took Schwarber. Other top 10 bats were Nick Gordon, Alex Jackson, and Michael Conforto. Gordon has a 55 grade hit tool. Jackson was a HS slugger who's disappointed greatly. Conforto has been a .250 hitter. In 2015 they took Happ with Cornelius Randolph, Tyler Stephenson, Josh Naylor, Garrett Whitley, Trent Clark, Kevin Newman and Richie Martin being other top 20 bats. Trent Clark and Kevin Newman are the only guys with a 60 grade hit tool.

Point here being it's more a systemic lack of high contact bats being developed rather than a preference for high strike out guys. I think you can make a very strong case that they actually did take the best hitter available. Maybe you argue that some HS players have higher upsides and factor that in but obviously they are a front office that chooses college over upside risk.

Yes they did go after the highest impact hitters with the first. It is a age where hitters with higher BB rates and SLG are valued more than contact hitters. Before it was about hitting .300. Now it is about an OBA over .350. It is just what is desired.

So the whole small ball mentality is really not a part of the game right now. Teams are not developing slap single hiters.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Just comes down to what is being taught to young hitters. Lay off pitches that you can not drive until you have to defend the plate.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Don't see much happening with this line up....

Jon Jay, LF
Kris Bryant, 1B
Willson Contreras, C
Addison Russell, SS
Ian Happ, 2B
Javy Baez, 3B
Albert Almora Jr., CF
Mark Zagunis, RF
Jon Lester, P

Hope Lester has a shut out in his pocket today...

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Don't see much happening with this line up....

Jon Jay, LF
Kris Bryant, 1B
Willson Contreras, C
Addison Russell, SS
Ian Happ, 2B
Javy Baez, 3B
Albert Almora Jr., CF
Mark Zagunis, RF
Jon Lester, P

Hope Lester has a shut out in his pocket today...

And there is the 3 run shot...sigh

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Anyone on here still think this team going to all of a sudden figure it out and be more then a mediocre .500 team?

I just don't see it, they still struggle against teams with worse record then them..

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Enough with Zagunis, bring back a real baseball player

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Enough with Zagunis, bring back a real baseball player

Honestly I'm good with Jay in RF batting 9. .326 is holding his own.

Getting Zag is fine for a few days. Gives him a taste and shows him what he needs to work on. Hitting .250 at AAA wasn't really going to go over well at the majors.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Honestly I'm good with Jay in RF batting 9. .326 is holding his own.

Getting Zag is fine for a few days. Gives him a taste and shows him what he needs to work on. Hitting .250 at AAA wasn't really going to go over well at the majors.

Exactly what i mean BA 249, we all knew he was going to suck