IST: Cubs @ Marlins

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Chicago%20CubsvsMiami%20Marlins.jpg

June 22 6:10 PM CDT
Arrieta (6-5, 4.64 ERA) vs Locke (0-2, 4.58 ERA)

June 23 6:10 PM CDT
Lackey (5-7, 4.98 ERA) vs Urena (5-2, 3.64 ERA)

June 24 3:10 PM CDT
Lester (4-4, 3.83 ERA) vs Nicolino (0-1, 5.06 ERA)

June 25 12:10 PM CDT
Montgomery (1-3, 2.26 ERA) vs Volquez (3-8, 4.19 ERA)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Split...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I honestly haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Zagunis but it's pretty clear why he's getting the nod, he's slashing .249/.399/.474a .387 wOBA and a 132 wRC+ not to mention a BB/9 of 17.9%. If he can get anywhere near those numbers he's going to help this team.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I honestly haven't paid a whole lot of attention to Zagunis but it's pretty clear why he's getting the nod, he's slashing .249/.399/.474a .387 wOBA and a 132 wRC+ not to mention a BB/9 of 17.9%. If he can get anywhere near those numbers he's going to help this team.

I'm also sort of wondering if this is an audition for him in trade talks. If he hits well someone is going to want that sort hitter with 7 years of control.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Zag's BA has dropped this year but his power increased. He has always had a solid eye. He was a .280 hitter but his high water was 10 HR's in near 358 AB's. 1 HR/35 AB.
This year that ratio went to 1/19.4 AB's. Not typical slugger but acceptable for a corner OF.

He has the makings for a solid corner OF. If he can get his BA up to .275 again with those ratio's intact he is looking at 26 HR power over 500 AB's in a season. That keeps you in the league with his BB ratio.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm also sort of wondering if this is an audition for him in trade talks. If he hits well someone is going to want that sort hitter with 7 years of control.

He is deserving of a promotion. I'm taking it as they have a need right now and they are facing a string of lefties. At AAA there is really no OF more deserving.

Caratini is more deserving as a hitter but I don't expect him promoted until the rosters expand.

Candi was mired in a slump after his demotion and recently pulled himself out. It really seems that he is quite immature and took the demote harsh after Happ stuck. Seems it got into his head in Iowa. Regardless he is starting to hit again. I really would like to see him traded before his value sinks.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He has the makings for a solid corner OF. If he can get his BA up to .275 again with those ratio's intact he is looking at 26 HR power over 500 AB's in a season. That keeps you in the league with his BB ratio.

Eh... I doubt he has that kind of power. Keep in mind the PCL is very hitter friendly. His ISO was more in the .140-.150 range in A+/AA. That's more in tune with a 10-15 HR hitter. That's not necessarily a huge knock on him however because with that sort of on base you're going to be valuable. Maybe not to a playoff team as a starter but a second division team could easily play him in a corner in the coming years. I've mentioned him before with reference to Tampa but he'd be the perfect sort of sweetener for a small market team in a trade because he cost next to nothing but gets on base enough to provide great value for that money you're spending on him. For bigger market teams who can pay for on base with power he's less appealing as a starter though wouldn't be a bad #4 of.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Eh... I doubt he has that kind of power. Keep in mind the PCL is very hitter friendly. His ISO was more in the .140-.150 range in A+/AA. That's more in tune with a 10-15 HR hitter. That's not necessarily a huge knock on him however because with that sort of on base you're going to be valuable. Maybe not to a playoff team as a starter but a second division team could easily play him in a corner in the coming years. I've mentioned him before with reference to Tampa but he'd be the perfect sort of sweetener for a small market team in a trade because he cost next to nothing but gets on base enough to provide great value for that money you're spending on him. For bigger market teams who can pay for on base with power he's less appealing as a starter though wouldn't be a bad #4 of.

I don't agree. He has been a .275-.300 hitter every year. His high point in power was 10. All of a sudden he almost doubles his HR rate with a .025 dip to his BA low point?

If he was up and down I would digress. No this is a guy that did not change through every stop. I take it as he is doing what it takes to become a MLB player. As a catcher that would have worked. As a corner OF it would have been a long air plane ride to Japan.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't agree. He has been a .275-.300 hitter every year. His high point in power was 10. All of a sudden he almost doubles his HR rate with a .025 dip to his BA low point?

If he was up and down I would digress. No this is a guy that did not change through every stop. I take it as he is doing what it takes to become a MLB player. As a catcher that would have worked. As a corner OF it would have been a long air plane ride to Japan.

Think what you want but he's not a 25 HR hitter a year. He's just not. He's on that pace in the PCL which is roughly equivalent to hitting in Coors every game in terms of offense. If you want to be really upside on his power you would say maybe he's a 20 HR hitter. But if you really don't believe me read his scouting reports. MLB.com gave him a 45 grade for his power which equates to 10 HRs a year. I'd argue he's more a 50(15 HRs) but either way that's no where near 25 HR power.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Always with the HR's. Sure seems like 80% of the cubs runs for and against are on HR.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Think what you want but he's not a 25 HR hitter a year. He's just not. He's on that pace in the PCL which is roughly equivalent to hitting in Coors every game in terms of offense. If you want to be really upside on his power you would say maybe he's a 20 HR hitter. But if you really don't believe me read his scouting reports. MLB.com gave him a 45 grade for his power which equates to 10 HRs a year. I'd argue he's more a 50(15 HRs) but either way that's no where near 25 HR power.

Never said he was a 25 HR guy. But I put out he was on that pace and if he could get his BA back up to .275 with retaining his power he becomes a starting quality corner OF. It was more of a what if vs a will be.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Refreshing game...
Pitching and hitting

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nice bit was the pen got a break.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Nice to see the bats tonight and the pitching to go with it. :clap::cubswin:

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of coure K looking with 2 on and 2 outs

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fuck, the worst guy reached with a lucky single, and now he's on 3rd

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Counted this one as a lost with Sunday as a possible one for the split...

This offense is just like their winning/losing up and down..