Schwarber Being Sent To AAA

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Fair enough. Essentially you're saying you want more reps a la spring training yeah? I can sorta buy that idea but that's more saying the issue Schwarber vs what pitchers are doing to Schwarber. I'm not a hitting coach so I can't speak to issues with swings but typically when young hitters have problems it's that higher level pitching handle them in a certain specific way that lower level pitching can't. So, it could be just something Schwarber has messed up mechanics in which case maybe this helps. But if it is a case of higher level pitching being able to execute better, if that's the case I don't really know that much will change. This was always my issue with him going down to AAA. I'm thinking the issue may just be MLB pitchers/catchers having a proper game plan vs him that they can execute. I'm not sure AAA pitching will be able to do the same and if they can't he may just destroy them.
Yeah..

Well, have to think the big baseball guys sent him down to A. Clear his head and B. To work on things..

maybe he just needs to get out of that lead off hitter mentality I think he went into, with taking pitches and having 4-5 perfect ABs as the guy getting things going over just going up there and looking for a pitch to hit hard somewhere..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well presumably they are going to start Happ in LF for the majority of the time he's down. That would allow Jay/Almora more time in CF. Happ is obviously a switch hitter so less worry of needing a lefty off the bench. But even then, you have La Stella who's a pretty good PH bat. I'm not saying there's no benefit to Schwarber in AAA. Part of the problem at the MLB level right now is you simply cannot have all those young bats play everyday. And given they'd started to platoon Schwarber maybe it's for the best for him to get daily playing time. But here's my contention... what if he just wrecks AAA pitching? I suppose you could argue it's a confidence boost but Schwarber doesn't strike me as a guy who lacks confidence. And if he does crush in AAA you're really not learning much. I mean it's a similar situation to Candelario who's crushed in AAA but hasn't hit when he's been called up. I suppose there's the counter argument that something is actually wrong and he wont hit in AAA but if the cubs really believed that he would have been sent down far sooner.

That's why I think this is just a move that's essentially "go clear your head." I think the reason you do that vs just benching him for a week or whatever is the cubs have a lot of nagging injuries on offense and not being able to play a guy on the bench is a big deal. IIRC, you have to stay down a week after being optioned. So the soonest he could return is the 29th. All Star break is the 10th. Given that timing, I'd imagine he stays down until the all star break. It's roughly 2 or so weeks which as mentioned is similar to an opportune DL stint.

Overall though I don't see this being much of a long term move. It just strikes me as a procedural move more than anything and I think they timed it to coincide with the all star break. It's often difficult for hitters to make adjustments in season so you will often hear about guys using a couple of days off during the all star break to get back on track. I think this is essentially that plus giving him daily at bats vs platoon type situation where it's harder to find consistency.

They also gave him off 2 days off before he needs to report!! This is simply a move to clear his head, work on his approach, and take some time off to relieve the pressure. I fully expect him to be back on the roster after the All Star break.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But his trade value is unaffected

It is, I'm sure according to Epstein!! The expectations for this kid were unrealistic to begin with. Since being drafted, I'm not sure he even has a full year of MLB playing time. As of now, I still think it will take a boatload of talent to acquire him. JMO.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think people will make a bigger deal about this than it is. My take is they had some injuries and needed some bullpen help and Schwarber was unlikely to start the next few games anyways. 3 of their next 5 games are vs LHP.(Locke, Nicolino and Gio Gonzo). I view this more as a short opportune DL stint than him going down to work on things.

He was sent down at a time the team has two regulars on the DL, both of whom play OF. Not about pitching.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Schwarber was a more cerebral player than what I have seen this year. He is acting like a big dumb meathead who wants to go back to dugout and laugh with his teammates about how far he can hit it.

.177 really? Really dude? Taking swings like he does everyday? Better be careful or he will go the way of a bunch of limited lefties who died to the shift like Howard.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I didn't even realize Schwarber had a drinking problem.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This bullshit lasted two games too many, bring him back

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This bullshit lasted two games too many, bring him back

He has kinda earned it with a .179 BA. The lead off push in his first full season was a bad choice. Maybe after he has established himself.

End of the day he is a kid that got pushed into something over his head and he needs a time to get back to what was working. He can't do that vs major league pitching eating him up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They need a boost in the middle of the line up. I'm just hoping that Joe ass cans the whole lead off joke.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Well now he's in the Iowa lineup so the whole thing could have been a false alarm. Unlike Tommy Birch to get it wrong although he just mentioned that Kyle was unlikely to be in the lineup. The rest of the speculation came from the media I suppose.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
See what happens. I'm just wondering if it is the shift that is killing him and AAA is not using it

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well now he's in the Iowa lineup so the whole thing could have been a false alarm. Unlike Tommy Birch to get it wrong although he just mentioned that Kyle was unlikely to be in the lineup. The rest of the speculation came from the media I suppose.

I thought what I ready perviously had said Schwarber would stay with AAA until they went on their road trip tomorrow. Tonight they are still in Iowa.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They need to keep him down til after the break..
4 or 5 games in Iowa not enough time..

They have Zobrist back and Heyward should be back tomorrow, they dont need to rush him back for 6 games..

Maddon just needs to figure out a lineup and stick with it...

If no deals are made in next week,
Looks like their going to have to send at least 2 or 3 down after the break if all are healthy and back and he wants to keep 8 or 9 reliever..
I know Candelario will be 1

Contreras
Caratini

Rizzo
Baez
Russell
Bryant

LaStella
Happ
Zobrist
Candelario

Schwarber
Almora
Jay
Heyward

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He needs to stay in Iowa as long as it takes to start hitting to the opposite field.

Hopefully not too long