Jimmy Butler to the Twolves

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Taj was the only low post threat on this team, ended up taking more 17 footers when Lopez arrived. Solid professional though who does it right. Great locker room leadership from a guy that just works.

czman

Liked Posts:
The Timberwolves won 31 games last season. The 8th seed won 41. I think the peak the Timberwolves can get is 45. I see them falling between 9-6th place in the west; most likely 7/8th. I am not sure getting crushed by the Warriors in the first round of next seasons playoffs is all great. Wiggins is a FA next season too. I think Bulls fans are too high on Gibson and Butler and what Tibs is going to do with that cast.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Quote Originally Posted by Toast88 View Post
Don't take the trade out on Markkanen. He's a damn good player. Definitely best available at 7. Being an alum, I watched almost every Arizona game last season. Markkanen is legit and as a 7-footer shoots 43 percent from 3 and 55 percent from 2. Can put his back to the basket, but also pop out midrange or from 3. Can shoot from anywhere on the floor.
The comparison throughout the year was constantly Dirk Nowitzki. I mean, who knows on such comparisons. But he's got as good a chance at working out as anyone in this draft class outside the top 2.

Quote originally posted by RacerX
Tucson partisanship. No doubt he can shoot, I am also a PAC-12 alum, and but by most objective accounts he projects closer to Mirotic then he does Dirk.

And I think it's quite a stretch to intimate he is on par with anyone in the top 5 picks.

I don't know---seems to be playing pretty darn good so far.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
He has indeed exceeded expectations, i do concede that fact.

But i still don't think his ceiling is anywhere near as high as that of the top 5 draftees.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
That former coach who runs B-BALL Breakdown did several videos breaking down his game and how he thought he would turn out to be a very good player. I always had hope. It’s nice to see him surpassing early expectations. At the worst it looks like he’ll be a decent starter for a long time. I hate to say it because I know it was said with before with Mirotic, but Markkanen does remind me of Dirk. It would be pretty awesome if he got to, or close to, that level of player

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Difference I'm seeing between Niko and Lauri is that Lauri will do more than just shoot 3 foot 3s and his rebounding is already 10x better and more consistent than Niko's ever was. For that reason alone I feel pretty safe thinking that Lauri will easily surpass Niko's level of play. Whether or not he can take that step into stardom is an entirely different story. He definitely looks solid though, and it's from the get go so that's encouraging.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I’ll be curious to see how he does once he’s more on the scouting report. Eventually teams will realize everyone else on the team is a piece of shit and just key their attention towards Lauri

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’ll be curious to see how he does once he’s more on the scouting report. Eventually teams will realize everyone else on the team is a piece of shit and just key their attention towards Lauri
If they haven't figured that out already, there's something wrong with their scouting.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Thibs is playing Jimmy 38 mpg. i hope he doesnt burn him out.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Johnnyt237

Liked Posts:
Taj doesn't have to start but will play significant minutes and be a force defensively and on the boards. Thibs knows what he is doing and bringing in vets like Butler and Taj are good moves. They will be a middle seed in the West but a lot will depend on point guard play setting things up. I'm not sure that they are done with trades.

Super mega late response but they're on pace right now for 53 wins. That would put them as the 4th or 5th seed in the West. They're looking solid but they're not in GSW's league but who is? They can also only get better. As they're a fairly young team with guys who have had some playoff experience and a good coach.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Super mega late response but they're on pace right now for 53 wins. That would put them as the 4th or 5th seed in the West. They're looking solid but they're not in GSW's league but who is? They can also only get better. As they're a fairly young team with guys who have had some playoff experience and a good coach.

Yep. Butler immediately put them into the play-offs and Thibs knew it. I am very happy both for Butler and Thibs. I'd say that GS has another 2 years before they fade away but Minn is young and on the rise and have a great coach. They will attract players who want to work hard and win.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I love Minnesota on paper. And, hell, I love them in 2k too. But defensively, they've underwhelmed at 25th/30 in DefEff. Thibs uses Crawford and Dieng off the bench and that is basically it. Wiggins hasn't improved enough to really make this team legit contenders. Towns is really good but he needs to buy in defensively to make the jump into stardom.

belikemike23

Liked Posts:
I think it was a great trade... Lauri Markkanen is breaking records as a rookie. Kris Dunn is finally coming into his own offensively, and averaging 2 steals per game. Lavine is obviously a great offensive asset, and his lack of defensive ability can be offset a bit by Dunn. Also, not to mention we have long wing players that can defend (Nwaba, Valentine.) They definitely thought this trade through....

belikemike23

Liked Posts:
Also, Lauri is showing potential on the defensive end. He has nice defensive block plays against great players such as LBJ, Porzingis, Dirk, Etc... He looks to have nerves of steel out there against superstar players...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I just did not think the bulls should have had to swap first round picks. They should have been able to keep theirs, considering Lavine was going to miss half the season, then will be ready to be paid. But watching Lavine those 19 minutes, that first step, that leaping ability, the smooth jumper, and Dunn also looking like what we expected, its back to pretty damn even.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

Not quite.

People look at MPG and push some oddball narrative that this contributes to extra injuries. But that has never been proven true. If anything, why has LeBron James have a career average of 38.0 MPG with a lot more pressure than anyone Thibs has ever coached, yet nobody says LeBron is ran into the ground. In fact, minutes have been on a steady decline.

So really, if this is suddenly some valid argument and not some merely on the surface sentiment, the numbers would need to match historical figures for this claim to even be remotely close to being true. Players have more science on their side today, more trainers and doctors to reserve them. A worldwide philosophy that recognizes rest as a good thing. All factors not anywhere as true as the other eras.

So Jimmy is getting too many minutes, right? That's the claim, that's why he's being "run into the ground" with other players Thibs coaches.
Let's go 10 years back.
Vd7O4djl.png

Another 10.
JT5It3ql.png

And another 10 years. Other than lockout/strike seasons, this is the first time that the top 15 players did not play more than Jimmy. Only because #15 on the list had less MPG.
44weQvWl.png

Lots of long careers on these lists. Lots of players who had tougher coaches. Lots of players who also ADD to their own plate before games and practices.

Unless someone has actual empirical data showing Jimmy being run into the ground, it's just a repeated claim based on someone's gut.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Not quite.

People look at MPG and push some oddball narrative that this contributes to extra injuries. But that has never been proven true. If anything, why has LeBron James have a career average of 38.0 MPG with a lot more pressure than anyone Thibs has ever coached, yet nobody says LeBron is ran into the ground. In fact, minutes have been on a steady decline.

So really, if this is suddenly some valid argument and not some merely on the surface sentiment, the numbers would need to match historical figures for this claim to even be remotely close to being true. Players have more science on their side today, more trainers and doctors to reserve them. A worldwide philosophy that recognizes rest as a good thing. All factors not anywhere as true as the other eras.

So Jimmy is getting too many minutes, right? That's the claim, that's why he's being "run into the ground" with other players Thibs coaches.
Let's go 10 years back.
Vd7O4djl.png

Another 10.
JT5It3ql.png

And another 10 years. Other than lockout/strike seasons, this is the first time that the top 15 players did not play more than Jimmy. Only because #15 on the list had less MPG.
44weQvWl.png

Lots of long careers on these lists. Lots of players who had tougher coaches. Lots of players who also ADD to their own plate before games and practices.

Unless someone has actual empirical data showing Jimmy being run into the ground, it's just a repeated claim based on someone's gut.

Lebron takes rests if he needs to. Jimmy doesn't get any rests. Thibs goes hard for that regular season championship and his players get hurt come playoff time. Also mpg aside, you have to admit the type of defense that thibs runs also wears guys down. It has happened to noah and now jimmy as well.