Hammer to Coyotes

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At first glance this looks like an absolutely abysmal trade.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Murphy has a pretty good upside according to my Coyotes sources.
I guess time will tell.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
It's a move towards youth with an eye on the cap. Looks like they're going to attempt another mini-rebuild.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Chicago Blackhawks have traded defenceman Niklas Hjalmarsson to the Arizona Coyotes for defencemen Connor Murphy and Laurent Dauphin.

Who?

We are putting alot of eggs in the Kempny/Rutta basket

TVR gone, Hammer gone.... Oduya and Campbell presumably gone.

Keith/Seabs (old and slowing down).... Kempny/Rutta... Forsling/Murphy

It could be really good for us if these guys pan out.... but that is a big IF

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Not a fan of this deal on the surface. I suppose it could be the Blackhawks simply acting before they lost Hjalmarsson in a couple years and getting some cost controlled players. Time will tell on this, but this isn't a deal that makes the Blackhawks better today.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not a fan of this deal on the surface. I suppose it could be the Blackhawks simply acting before they lost Hjalmarsson in a couple years and getting some cost controlled players. Time will tell on this, but this isn't a deal that makes the Blackhawks better today.

What do you think of Murphy?

I know nothing but his cap hit is 3.85M so it makes me hope he could be a top 4 Dman...

I am presuming Kempny/Rutta get top 6 this year which leaves 2 spots I assume Murphy gets 1 and the other likely goes to the best of Forsling/Pokka/Gustafson with 2 of those 3 playing in Rockford while Rozi serves as a reserve.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Murphy has been a top 4 dman for several years and a well above his team Corsi guy as a guy with a defensive match up usage.

Not as good as hjammer of course but he also can still grow and maybe his stick work improves with how Hjammer did.

But they are dman solidly weak right now with pairing units. Murphy could play with Keith for a top pair unit but unless someone like Campbell is back that's a lot of youth besides Seabs below

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Murphy has been a top 4 dman for several years and a well above his team Corsi guy as a guy with a defensive match up usage.

Not as good as hjammer of course but he also can still grow and maybe his stick work improves with how Hjammer did.

That is encouraging... so maybe

Keith/Seabs
Kempny/Murphy
Rutta/Forsling

Or if they want some legs with the old guys

Keith/Murphy
Seabs/Kempny
Rutta/Forsling

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought hammer definetly lost a step last year, and his willingness to block shots, and his ability to get them, has diminished very much, which takes his game away.
He isn't that physical with bodies, or a great skater.

But basically our only defensive defenseman, and an underrated hero who brought us 3 cups, we don't win 1 without him, so Rutta needs to be a god like he was at one time or we likely won't be getting another without Keith/Seabs making a dramatic turnaround.

I guess when your entire team plays like a bunch of complacent pussies you have to make everyone feel unsafe, and destroy perfect partnerships like Panarin-Kane to show who is boss and what is expected. But I'm just not sure this message will resonate. Kane is probably crying into a beer somewhere.

And Toews isn't going to magically get better because of Saad. He needs to get himself better, or Saad won't be able to produce. I mean...that would be the biggest issue I think, is if Toews brings Saad down with him, and now Kane isn't on the best line in hockey.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Keith/Seabs
Kempny/Murphy
Rutta/Forsling

Keith/Murphy
Seabs/Kempny
Rutta/Forsling

except that Kempny couldn't even crack the top 7 this year and now he is top 4? We better hope Rutta/Forsling/Pokka or a Swede can step up to 4.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I thought hammer definetly lost a step last year, and his willingness to block shots, and his ability to get them, has diminished very much, which takes his game away.
He isn't that physical with bodies, or a great skater.

But basically our only defensive defenseman, and an underrated hero who brought us 3 cups, we don't win 1 without him, so Rutta needs to be a god like he was at one time or we likely won't be getting another without Keith/Seabs making a dramatic turnaround.

I guess when your entire team plays like a bunch of complacent pussies you have to make everyone feel unsafe, and destroy perfect partnerships like Panarin-Kane to show who is boss and what is expected. But I'm just not sure this message will resonate. Kane is probably crying into a beer somewhere.

And Toews isn't going to magically get better because of Saad. He needs to get himself better, or Saad won't be able to produce. I mean...that would be the biggest issue I think, is if Toews brings Saad down with him, and now Kane isn't on the best line in hockey.
That's why they traded him for a still young, contract secured defensive defenseman in Murphy. So they went from 1 defensive defenseman that plays the right side to the same thing in him with hopefully a better future even short term and long term.

Plus a potential Kruger replacement kinda guy or even more in Dauphin

And Murphy does hit more

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Only way we'll be able to make any real conclusions on this deal is to see how Murphy develops over the next year or two.

There are things to like about him. But we'll see what happens come October. If nothing else, next season just got a lot more interesting.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
except that Kempny couldn't even crack the top 7 this year and now he is top 4? We better hope Rutta/Forsling/Pokka or a Swede can step up to 4.

What makes you say Kempny shouldn't crack the top 7?

He had his struggles, but showed flashes..... I think he will play his way into the top 4 as long as he takes a step forward.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Keith/Seabs
Kempny/Murphy
Rutta/Forsling

Keith/Murphy
Seabs/Kempny
Rutta/Forsling

forgot T-Roz

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What makes you say Kempny shouldn't crack the top 7?

He had his struggles, but showed flashes..... I think he will play his way into the top 4 as long as he takes a step forward.

I'm saying he didn't. He was at least 8 in Q's head (I'll give you that I didn't agree and thought he was 5 or 6) but....in Q's head he was behind Cambell, Rozy, and Oduya come playoff time.

Just more of the same ridiculous bullshit to go through 4 game series against young speed demon team raping us while

Forsling/Kempny/Hino/Hayden sat watching.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm saying he didn't. He was at least 8 in Q's head (I'll give you that I didn't agree and thought he was 5 or 6) but....in Q's head he was behind Cambell, Rozy, and Oduya come playoff time.

Fair point.... I just don't see the same thing happening this year... a year in and Oduya/Campbell/Hammer all gone.... Kempny has to play and if he plays I think he gets into the top 4

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
And Kepmny should be better at knowing the ice and system that indulges him more... unless they sign other D he's still the most experienced LD they have behind Keith .

Kempny - Seabs was one of the best consistent pairings.

Though just because Q I don't expect that somehow to remain and the roster issue is still kinda like 2011 Era was. Just like the last 2 years, they still lack a defensively good LD behind Keith. Maybe Kempny grows into it or Forsling that Q said reminded him of young Hammer.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@drosennhl
Joel QuenJoel Quenneville just walked out of the coach's meeting at the League's official Draft hotel, got in a cab and left.