SuperDitkaMan's Nagy and Pace Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Of course this sounds great, but one angle I wonder about is if the NFL would be on the hook for healthcare for these players for the rest of their lives. Those costs would quickly crush an NFL B-league.

who pays for health care for the CFL?

I think the NFL B team is a great idea. can actually start developing QBs in real NFL pro systems. Dont want to beat the players up to much so maybe only a handful of games. I would subscribe to the NFL network again if they had something like this in the off-season

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
When the UFL formed a few years ago and has 2/3 seasons their goal was to try to be able to latch into an agreement to be a developmental league... but not many seemed to care of the idea then

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

emaugust

Sort of a big deal...
Liked Posts:
I guess it is hard to say how much influence the NCAA has currently as the defacto developer of NFL talent. There could be a lot of less-than-obvious inter-related business interest there.

And I think everyone mentioning the medical thing is probably correct. I was just considering the bodies side of an expansion league. Maybe NFL owners are waiting till there is less uncertainty around the issue before willingly expanding their exposure. Once they can do the dollars and cents math around player health in a more predictable way they can start making decisions.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if they did this, it would be around the same time frame the NFL is. It would be tough on a body to play a full schedule, do well, and then be asked to compete in the regular season without much of a break.

Could do it with various minor league teams on like Thursday nights and get rid of that dumbass Thursday Night NFL Football. I agree should run during the NFL Season

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Could do it with various minor league teams on like Thursday nights and get rid of that dumbass Thursday Night NFL Football. I agree should run during the NFL Season

so replace bad Thursday night football with worse Thursday night football? No one would ever watch it. the only chance this would have of being viewed would be in the off season when there is no other football option.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe a 9 on 9 league, translating to smaller rosters. Maybe even only 12 teams-and the teams would be league sponsored, not team sponsored. Any NFL team can sign a player from any Dev Team.

Practice squad players, and roster players will be ineligible to play in the Dev league, until they are no longer signed to a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Maybe a 9 on 9 league, translating to smaller rosters. Maybe even only 12 teams-and the teams would be league sponsored, not team sponsored. Any NFL team can sign a player from any Dev Team.

Practice squad players, and roster players will be ineligible to play in the Dev league, until they are no longer signed to a team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why would fans care to watch then? thats basically the cfl. It needs to be 32 teams I would have a vested interest in watching the Bears B team players and how they are developing. if there is no connection to the Bears then I couldn't care less. How many preseason games of other teams do people watch? probably almost none.. I know I dont care to watch other teams preseason games..

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How in the hell do you think they come up with 1692 (32 x 53) players for an NFL minor league? Teams are not going to send anyone above PS level to get their heads bashed in for meaningless games. With actual well paid NFL players quitting because of fear of CTE, how many guys do you see taking that risk for a few thousand dollars? Best they could do is maybe one team per division, which would give it, at least a little tie in, to make it interesting.

Serious? How do they fill all the college rosters? Do you think all of those people disappear when they graduate and don't go to the NFL?

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Idk why they don't have an American farm league.... just do 1 affiliate per NFL team and let them play like March - July ... give us something to watch in the offseason.

It might not be big money like regular football season, but if the Bears had a farm team on TV March - July I would watch.

That's what NCAA football is/was, unfortunately drafting is such a crapshoot, and the delta between the type of football played on the college level vs the pros and it no longer works as well.

The NFL is too short sighted and overwhelmingly greedy to do something like the NBA or MLB. It's getting harder and harder to enjoy pro sports these days, especially with the nose dive the NFL has taken.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Guys that can't make it here can go to Canada. How many actually come back? Really, there's not enough talent to go around in the current NFL let alone another league.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Idk why they don't have an American farm league.... just do 1 affiliate per NFL team and let them play like March - July ... give us something to watch in the offseason.

It might not be big money like regular football season, but if the Bears had a farm team on TV March - July I would watch.

A short summer schedule, even 6 games. All that goes on from June - July is MLB. play 5-6 games in 8 weeks, and then start training camp with a couple interesting and more experienced, showcased guys. There could be a rule that guys who play in summer league don't play in pre-season so its not like they have a 26 game season if you make the team.

They could even go with Divisional teams, and then have 3 round divisional draft to sell at the end.

Then reduce pre-season to two games, and add a 17th regular season game for everyone abroad to expand the game.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
All Bears Team by BEST Individual Season since '86:

I thought it would be neat to pick an ALL BEARS TEAM starting lineup based on BEST season at each position SINCE OUR LAST SB, to see what perfect storm of players at their best would look like as one lineup.

Best Individual Seasons Offense:

QB: 12- Kramer ('95)
RB: 35-Anderson ('89)
FB: 25-Muster ('90)
TE: 82- Olsen ('09)
WR: 15- Marshall ('12)
WR: 17- Jeffery ('13)
LT: 74-Covert
LG: 62- Bortz
C: 63- Hilgenberg
RG: 57- Thayer
RT: 78- Van Horne

K: 9- Gould ('06)
P: 4- Maynard ('06)
KR: 38-Manning ('08)
PR: 23- Hester ('07)

Best Individual Seasons Defense:

DE: 95- Dent ('90)
DT: 76- Mongo ('88)
DT: 91- Harris ('05)
DE: 90- Peppers ('10)

OLB: 58- Marshall ('86)
MLB: 54- Urlacher ('06)
OLB: 55- Briggs ('06)

CB: 33- Tillman ('12)
CB: 21- Woolford ('92)
FS: 20- Carrier ('90)
SS: 22- Duerson ('86)

Analysis:

QB: Erik Kramer (1995)- 3838yds 29tds 10ints 93.2rtng

This one was pretty easy. While Jay had a decent season in 2015 and had some big numbers in 2009 and 2014, he, nor any other Bears QB has come even close to Kramer's magical '95 campaign. It was the only time I can remember as a Bears fan where you just KNEW that Kramer could March the offense down the field, on his arm, at ANY given time.

RB: Neal Anderson (1989)- 1275yds 4.7avg 11 tds/50 rec 434yds 4tds

This wasnt easy. A LOT to choose from. Sweetness. Neal. Jones. Forte. For me it came down to Forte's 2013 season and Neal Anderson's 1989. And while statistically Forte's was slightly better...I give the edge to Neal with the "era" bump. Neal in '89 nearly matches Fortes output of 2013 in a different era of offense. You put Neal in the 2013 offense, and he probably has the BEST SEASON EVER for a Bears RB. He was the best all round RB in football in the wasted '89 season. What a talent he was.

FB: Brad Muster (1990)- 664yds 4.7avg 6tds/47rec 452yds

This was probably the EASIEST. Mostly because FB's died at least statistically around the time Muster left Chicago. But in 1990, FB was as important as any position on offense. And Muster was a beast for a few years.

TE: Greg Olsen (2009)- 60rec 612yds 8tds

Mike Martz...I hate you. And just look at his last 4-5 years in Carolina and it's enough to make you wanna puke.

WR: Brandon Marshall (2012)- 118rec 1508yds 11tds

The numbers don't lie. But what was even more impressive was the fact that opposing defenses KNEW he was the PRIMARY target for Cutler every play. And STILL couldn't slow him down. Marshall played like a man possessed in 2012.

WR: Alshon Jeffery (2013)- 89rec 1421yds 7tds

He was a HUMAM VACUUM that season. It was pretty incredible. He was like a gazelle from those National Geographic shows out there.

As for O-Line, not gonna lie, i can't give you educated analysis over 30 whole years . So if anyone can as far as INDIVIDUAL seasons, then have at it. So I'm.just gonna give my 5 best guys since '86.

LT: Jim Covert
LG: Mark Bortz
C: Jay Hilgenberg
RG: Tom That
RT: Keith Van Horne

KR: Danieal Manning (2008)- 36ret 1070yds 29.7 avg 1td

Perhaps the first SHOCKER of the list? Not to anybody who watched him in '08. The THUNDER to Hesters lightning. Guy just had crazy speed and power on KR'S. Hester's 06 season is a close 2nd, but Manning beasted AFTER Hester changed the way teams prepared for returns.

PR: Devin Hester (2007)- 42ret 651yds 15.5avg 4tds

Crazy that his SB season isn't tops here. But that's exactly what makes what he did in '07 even more remarkable. The NFL knew it was coming and STILL couldn't stop him.

K: Robbie Gould (2006)- 88.9% 31-36 47-47xp

He wasn't a long ball FG kicker yet but man was he on point inside of 50. Voted to Pro Bowl and All-Pro teams.

P: Brad Maynard (2006)- 44.2avg
Man, what a group that was. Gould arrived. Hester was changing the game. Ayanbadejo was the best at his job. And Maynard was a stud.

With defense I relaxed a little on stats and weighed their impact without stats and other circumstances (team injuries/team performance)

DE: Richard Dent (1990)- 12sacks 81 tkl 3 ints 2FF

Dent was a monster pretty much his entire career, but this season really jumps off the stat sheet.

DT: Steve McMichael (1988)- 11.5 sacks 88tkl

No Dent and no Fridge for the majority of that season, so Mongo stepped up and played lights out. With just him and an aging Hampton as the lone studs up front, that was an impressive campaign for Mongo.

DT: Tommie Harris (2005)- 3 sacks 27tkl 2 FF

Statistically it's one of his weakest seasons but his impact that season doesn't show up on paper. He was a dominant pro-bowler. He anchored that D-line to the #2 in football. I could see arguments for Danimal here, but he never had as good a season after 85 as Harris did in 2005. He singlehandedly WRECKED game plans.

DE: Julius Peppers (2010)- 8sacks 43tkl 2ints 3 FF

Looking at his Chicago sack totals, this may come as a suprise but make no mistake,we dont get to NFCC that year without him. He was "the missing piece". His impact was MORE than just sacks as you can see.

LB: Wilber Marshall (1986)- 5.5 sacks 105tkl 5ints 4FF

If '85 was his coming out party, then '86 was his Hollywood Star ceremony. He BALLED.

MLB: Brian Urlacher (2006)-92tkl (49AST) 3int 1 FF 9PD

I realize 05 was his DPOY campaign, but in 06 he was on a mission. The 2nd half of the Arizona game locks it up for me. He was EVERYWHERE! And for those saying where's Singletary...to that I say, Urlacher just shows up on the stat sheet more. Singletary is a HOF MLB no doubt but he had a simpler job by my estimation. His job was to just scan and pursue. Urlacher was asked to do more. And had far more INTS and SACKS because of his added responsibilities.

LB: Lance Briggs (2006)- 109TKL 2INT 9PD 4FF 1SACK

You could make arguments for 05, 08, and even 09 (because of Urlachers injury) but I go with 2006 because he and Urlacher just fed off each other. It was like they were trying to outdo each other every week.

CB: CHARLES TILLMAN (2012)- 3 INT 74 TKL 16PD 10FF 3TDS

The year the Peanut Punch became a household name. Who will ever forget that Tennessee game when he forced FOUR fumbles!!! UNHEARD OF for a DB. He was the MVP of that defense.

CB: Donnell Woolford (1992)- 7 INT 94 TKL 2 FF

In Ditka's final season there were few bright spots, but Woolford wasn't one of them. He played lights out on an aging defense around him.

FS: MARK CARRIER (1990)- 10 INT 122TKL 5FF

Doubtful his rookie year will EVER be topped in Chicago. He was an INT machine that year.

SS: Dave Duerson (1986)- 6 Ints 7sacks

'85 was just his warm up too thanks to Todd Bell holding out. But in '86 with Bell back, DD was like "Enjoy the bench, homie". DUERSON was all over the field!

Space Invader

Dorkchop
Liked Posts:
Mullets, Trans-Ams, hair metal, and Bud Light.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why did you put Manning in at KR over Hester based on stats, yet you put Tommie Harris in based on his impact on the game? Hester had a much greater impact as a KR over Manning. Teams willfully kicked it out of bounds and took the penalty rather than kicking it to Hester.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The most memorable significant season to me was Peppers in 2010. I would watch him on every play and some games he would literally win it with his performance out there. It was the first time I stopped paying attention to where #54 was at all times.

And if I remember correctly he started very slow that season, but beasted after game 4 I think, going from memory.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The most memorable significant season to me was Peppers in 2010. I would watch him on every play and some games he would literally win it with his performance out there. It was the first time I stopped paying attention to where #54 was at all times.

And if I remember correctly he started very slow that season, but beasted after game 4 I think, going from memory.

He injured Stafford in the season opener.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Why did you put Manning in at KR over Hester based on stats, yet you put Tommie Harris in based on his impact on the game? Hester had a much greater impact as a KR over Manning. Teams willfully kicked it out of bounds and took the penalty rather than kicking it to Hester.

I see your point.

But as I stated, I backed off on stats when it came to defense.

Teams became less and less afraid of Hester on KR's as time passed because he got stuffed a lot.

It was PR's where you were crazy to kick to him.

Manning's 2008 was BEASTLY.

SuperDitkaMan

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Not sure why the cutoff is 'since 1986', and 9 of the 22 starters are guys from the 1985 Bears.

Because we won the SB in '85.

I wanted to make a list of post SB performances so that we could all reflect on why we've never won another.

Status
Not open for further replies.