Glennon Is A Week-To-Week Starting QB

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why anyone would want MG not to be good enough to start most if not all of the season is beyond me. Who prays for their starting QB to fail...Bears fans that's who.

God forbid he play well enough to garner a 1-3rd round pick next offseason, that would be awful.

:facepalm:

The ultimate scenario is Glennon plays at a high level for about 8 weeks, gets a soft tissue injury like a hammy that makes him unavailable for 4 weeks, Trubisky Wally Pipps him and Glennon becomes a healthy backup with trade value.

No one wants Glennon to fail.

But no one should want Glennon to look as good as the 2nd overall pick. Because that probably means that Trubisky sucks.

I agree with your best case scenario. I think more likely is Glennon plays okay, Trubisky takes his job and Glennon is traded for a 4th or something like that.

Perfect scenario is if Trubisky goes full Russell Wilson on this thing.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think the cards are stacked against MG, he is in a new system, with a WR Corp that leaves a lot to be desired, a brutal schedule to start the season that could shake his confidence, and he is not the most mobile guy, so he will likely make the line look worse than they are or become the checkdown king.

I hope that MG plays well enough through 8 games to remain the starter, and MT sits the entire year. BUT if I were to predict a change I would say after the Bye week against the Packers, but the game is at home.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would far rather see Trubisky sidelined long enough for the coaches to have broken his bad habits and the muscle memory to have developed for his proper mechanics.

You realize when you change mechanics there is a good chance of screwing the kid up? He already has good mechanics, his main concern is experience readying an NFL defense. If we would of drafted Mahomes or Watson then I would agree with you, because those guys need a lot of work.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There comes a point in time where Mitchell Trubisky has learned all he needs to learn on the sideline and every game he doesn't start begins to become a detriment to his development and the team in general.

Worst case scenario is a painfully mediocre Mike Glennon robbing invaluable in game experience from Trubisky.

This is a good point. The thing is we most likely know what we have in Glennon. He is somewhere in between below average to an average starter. Unless he makes some huge surprise progression. The fact is most QBs don’t get much better siting on the bench, and that’s what he has been doing. Why does anyone think he is going to be a better QB then he was in his 2nd year with less talent around him?
I am not saying I want him to fail, I hope he plays as well as McCown, Hoyer, Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn, or Nick Foles during their great 1 year stretches.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I pray to all deities that Glennon cannot compete with Trubisky's talent level.

Glennon will be replaced at some point this season. Personally I think it is before week 10, but I think that Glennon gets weeks 1-4 no matter what to settle in.

I still go back to what that AFC scout said about mechanics - that if you let a rookie QB sit his first year, there is a far lesser chance of them reverting to bad mechanics the rest of their career, and that the opposite is true - start them year 1, and as soon as the shit hits the fan, they regress into their old mechanics and it becomes engrained.

As such, unless something nuts happens and Bears can trade Glennon before the cutoff for a 1st or 2nd round pick by some desperate team, I support the Bears keeping Trubisky on the bench all season no matter what, although, maybe, maybe I consider playing him for the last 2-4 games if Glennon is still here, depending on where the Bears are (and if by some stretch, the Bears get to the playoffs with Glennon at the helm, I keep Mitch benched, and then trade Glennon in the offseason).

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
Trubisky's mechanics are fine. It's one of the reasons he was drafted so high despite his lack of experience.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
You realize when you change mechanics there is a good chance of screwing the kid up? He already has good mechanics, his main concern is experience readying an NFL defense. If we would of drafted Mahomes or Watson then I would agree with you, because those guys need a lot of work.

The kid never took a snap under center in College, so saying he already has good mechanics is stupid and is just looking for something to get worked up about.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
To be frank, people saying "Trubs already has good mechanics" I think are just people who want to see him sooner rather than later - they are arguing this for the sake of their own immediate gratification.

Trubisky's mechanics, while not awful and while he is accurate, are not perfect - there's a reason he was called "raw" and that wasn't just because of the lack of games played.

Even if he has a compact throwing motion (and frankly, from what I've read Trub's had a little bit of a hitch in college and also needs to keep his elbow in more according to some scouts I read), FOOTWORK is also mechanics, and the kid didn't take snaps from center in college.

So no, his mechanics aren't "fine". And even with mechanics that aren't "fine", he may still be better than Glennon.

But a hitch in the throwing motion is like a tell in poker - that split second can mean the difference between a completion and an interception given how good players on this level are.

So sorry, I vote for engraining the proper mechanics into the kid for as long as possible so that he can be the franchise from 2018 on, than vote for immediate gratification and rush him out in 2017 and risk him never getting to that next level because his bad habits hold him back, due to not allowing time for the new mechanics to be engrained into his muscle memory.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is a good point. The thing is we most likely know what we have in Glennon. He is somewhere in between below average to an average starter. Unless he makes some huge surprise progression. The fact is most QBs don’t get much better siting on the bench, and that’s what he has been doing. Why does anyone think he is going to be a better QB then he was in his 2nd year with less talent around him?
I am not saying I want him to fail, I hope he plays as well as McCown, Hoyer, Matt Cassel, Matt Flynn, or Nick Foles during their great 1 year stretches.

He doesn't have less talent around him then a healthier TB team that went 2-14 with Josh McCown actually playing worse that he did. That Oline that couldn't seem to block anyone, passing (52 sacks with a higher percentage to the mobile McCown) or running(29th). I'm not saying Glennon is a savior but he outplayed both Freeman and Josh in the same Os. Played very well in spot duty last year as well. No, you can't assume he'll be above average but I wouldn't assume he doesn't belong behind center either.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To be frank, people saying "Trubs already has good mechanics" I think are just people who want to see him sooner rather than later - they are arguing this for the sake of their own immediate gratification.

Trubisky's mechanics, while not awful and while he is accurate, are not perfect - there's a reason he was called "raw" and that wasn't just because of the lack of games played.

Even if he has a compact throwing motion (and frankly, from what I've read Trub's had a little bit of a hitch in college and also needs to keep his elbow in more according to some scouts I read), FOOTWORK is also mechanics, and the kid didn't take snaps from center in college.

So no, his mechanics aren't "fine". And even with mechanics that aren't "fine", he may still be better than Glennon.

But a hitch in the throwing motion is like a tell in poker - that split second can mean the difference between a completion and an interception given how good players on this level are.

So sorry, I vote for engraining the proper mechanics into the kid for as long as possible so that he can be the franchise from 2018 on, than vote for immediate gratification and rush him out in 2017 and risk him never getting to that next level because his bad habits hold him back, due to not allowing time for the new mechanics to be engrained into his muscle memory.

You won't find any flying elbow reports beyond sports Science parotting. Not that it isn't there but nobody is risking his accuracy over changing his delivery. He also has a bit of push throw and low release. It's all staying but you're absolutely correct about his feet and it goes beyond drops. While he stays in balance and moves well which many have reported as having great feet, they are not because he can be a little lazy when he's actually throwing.

Too many jump throws. They may be great under pressure at crunch time but you don't want those when not necessary. They are in balance because he's got great hips but he could be even crisper and maintain better velocity with his body moving towards his target. Fix that and everything above the waist looks fine. It fix also won't fuck him up because he does throw like that at times anyway. He just has to concentrate on keeping his feet under him all the time.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Of course everyone wants the guy that is deemed the franchise QB for the next decade + to get on the field asap, but that has nothing to do with saying his mechanics are fine. I can find nothing but praise for his throwing mechanics.

- He can make every throw in the book with zip, velocity or touch while consistently delivering the ball within the strike zone... With NFL coaches known to covet quarterbacks with pinpoint accuracy and exceptional anticipation skills, Trubisky's spectacular talents as a passer put him near the top of the charts.

-Always in ready-to-rip throwing posture. Delivery is crisp and efficient. Pocket mechanics and throwing motion are solid. Has all the arm you need. Ball comes humming out of his hand when he needs to spike his velocity. Arm talent to whip a catchable throw from difficult angles to targets outside the numbers. His 62.1 completion percentage on intermediate throws easily outpaces the top quarterbacks in this draft.

-Accuracy and Ball Placement: In this area, Trubisky is head and shoulders above his competition. He finished 2016 with a 68-percent completion percentage.

Throwing Motion: He has very little wasted movement in his throwing motion, allowing him to hit receivers in tight windows and avoid pressure. Once again, this trait is at the top of his class.

-Compact, accurate, quick arm with a three-quarters release. Quick release allows him to get rid of the ball even when under heavy pressure.
Polished passer with consistent footwork and mechanics.

-Strengths:
Accurate passer
Fits passes into tight windows
Good ball placement
Throws a catchable ball
Quality arm strength
Consistent mechanics

Every single site I read said the same things. Not one criticized his throwing mechanics.

Every site also mentioned his need to work under center and small sample size.

And yes the entire reason he is considered "raw" is sample size.

I would bet very little is being done with his throwing motion and the big stress is on his footwork from under center and since, as you said, he "didn't take a snap from center in college," there is nothing to unlearn.

I want to see him when he is ready, whether that be game 1 this year or game 1 in 2018. Making him sit for sake of sitting is no better than making him play for the sake of playing.

But the " needs to work on throwing mechanics thing" is a tired lazy argument based on absolutely nothing.

Please link any site that mentions his "QB tell" hitch or need for mechanics work. It would be interesting to read that opposing prospective from a scout.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
I'll recant on the throwing motion criticism. I thought I remembered reading it somewhere, but now can't find it, and all I did find on his throwing motion is all the positive things iueyedoc posted and the like. I may have gotten that confused with other QB scouting reports I was reading pre-draft, but frankly, I am glad as that makes me feel a bit better about Mitch starting earlier and overall.

I still want to see that footwork cleaned up, but I think that effectively put me in the camp of wanting to see him sooner rather than later, since before I was operating on a false assumption.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still go back to what that AFC scout said about mechanics - that if you let a rookie QB sit his first year, there is a far lesser chance of them reverting to bad mechanics the rest of their career, and that the opposite is true - start them year 1, and as soon as the shit hits the fan, they regress into their old mechanics and it becomes engrained.

As such, unless something nuts happens and Bears can trade Glennon before the cutoff for a 1st or 2nd round pick by some desperate team, I support the Bears keeping Trubisky on the bench all season no matter what, although, maybe, maybe I consider playing him for the last 2-4 games if Glennon is still here, depending on where the Bears are (and if by some stretch, the Bears get to the playoffs with Glennon at the helm, I keep Mitch benched, and then trade Glennon in the offseason).

They won't get a used pickle jar for Glennon in a trade. Paying him all of that money was STUPID. They should have kept Hoyer and gone after a good offensive tackle and a wide receiver.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'll recant on the throwing motion criticism. I thought I remembered reading it somewhere, but now can't find it, and all I did find on his throwing motion is all the positive things iueyedoc posted and the like. I may have gotten that confused with other QB scouting reports I was reading pre-draft, but frankly, I am glad as that makes me feel a bit better about Mitch starting earlier and overall.

I still want to see that footwork cleaned up, but I think that effectively put me in the camp of wanting to see him sooner rather than later, since before I was operating on a false assumption.

Everyone learns at their own pace, so I don't have a preconceived notion of when he may be ready, but just hope it is quicker than the time it took Cutler to learn to not carry the ball at his belly button or throw into triple coverage, you know... never.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
They won't get a used pickle jar for Glennon in a trade. Paying him all of that money was STUPID. They should have kept Hoyer and gone after a good offensive tackle and a wide receiver.
FFS, for the 3,117th time the Bears are $25 M under the cap. Nothing about Glennon had anything to do with the Bears not going after the uninspiring list of mediocre or old OT's and WR available in free agency.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sounds exactly like how the Jeremy Langford/Jordan Howard situation played out last year.

If Glennon performs to the equivalent of Langford last year, I hope to god it doesn't take 4+ games to determine Trubisky is a better player. Then again, we're talking about John Fox.

TomWaddle

Liked Posts:
My hope is that Glennon plays well enough to retain the starting role all season. My concern is that if Glennon gets injured Sanchez will be so bad they will have to play Trubs. I'm looking at Trubisky to be a franchise QB that leads our team for the next 15 years - ideally he sits all year and comes into 2018 hungry and ready to go.

Ideally, the QB controversy next year is that Glennon played so well he deserves another shot at the starting role.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
There's entirely too much assumption that sitting for a long period is what is best for Trub. Sure, there are some notable examples of great QBs who sat for a year or more, but there are considerably more who were just thrown in the fire, got burnt for a year or two, learned from it and became studs. And we're not talking about a guy sitting behind Favre or something like that -- if he can't beat out Glennon at some point reasonably soon we have to start to worry about his abilities. I don't know what would be better for him, but sitting him just for the sake of it is kind of stupid. You put him in once he has the playbook down to the point that it's automatic.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:

Remind me - what picks did Sam Bradford go for again in his trade to Minnesota?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Remind me - what picks did Sam Bradford go for again in his trade to Minnesota?

Now all Pace has to do is wait for a playoff caliber team to have their starting QB have a gruesome injury to force their GM to make a panic trade. Solid strategy