Glennon Is A Week-To-Week Starting QB

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Now all Pace has to do is wait for a playoff caliber team to have their starting QB have a gruesome injury to force their GM to make a panic trade. Solid strategy

*sigh*

Take a look around the league. Do you see 32 quarterbacks worthy of starting in the league?

If you were honest, you'd say no.

IF Glennon performs at a decent level, given his pedigree, then you may be able to trade him off before the deadline to a team that has gotten off to a rough start and wants a change.

If that was SOOO outrageous, there wouldn't be the interest in guys like Ossweiler every year - crap, it seems to go back to the days of Matt Flynn and Matt Cassell.

Given the state of NFL quarterbacking, if Glennon looks like he can produce, and some teams make inquiries about him, the Bears should take those calls, and take the highest offer north of a 4th round pick, that's all.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
*sigh*

Take a look around the league. Do you see 32 quarterbacks worthy of starting in the league?

If you were honest, you'd say no.

IF Glennon performs at a decent level, given his pedigree, then you may be able to trade him off before the deadline to a team that has gotten off to a rough start and wants a change.

If that was SOOO outrageous, there wouldn't be the interest in guys like Ossweiler every year - crap, it seems to go back to the days of Matt Flynn and Matt Cassell.

Given the state of NFL quarterbacking, if Glennon looks like he can produce, and some teams make inquiries about him, the Bears should take those calls, and take the highest offer north of a 4th round pick, that's all.

If a team has gotten off to a rough start and is looking for a change, then they might as well ride out the year and draft a QB instead of trading for some journeyman QB. Teams trading for journeyman QB's is not common, grabbing journeyman QB's through free agency and not giving up draft picks for those QB's is more common. So in order to trade Glennon and get an offer north of a 4th round pick, Pace will have to hope a team who is in a position to make the playoffs loses their QB to injury. If it is going to be a trade deadline deal that would be a small pool to pick from, making that strategy pretty worthless.

Glennon is an expensive insurance plan, if Trubs look semi-decent in camp and preseason...we will see him starting sooner rather than later. The minute Glennon starts to struggle, Trubisky is in.

TomWaddle

Liked Posts:
There's entirely too much assumption that sitting for a long period is what is best for Trub. Sure, there are some notable examples of great QBs who sat for a year or more, but there are considerably more who were just thrown in the fire, got burnt for a year or two, learned from it and became studs. And we're not talking about a guy sitting behind Favre or something like that -- if he can't beat out Glennon at some point reasonably soon we have to start to worry about his abilities. I don't know what would be better for him, but sitting him just for the sake of it is kind of stupid. You put him in once he has the playbook down to the point that it's automatic.

I look at it as a matter of risk mitigation. What's the upside to playing him this year? Do you think not playing this year is going to hamper his development? That's about the only coherent argument I can think of to play him this year. That at least he'll get the rooking mistakes out of the way.

I'm in favor of sitting him for the following reasons:

a. he only has 13 college starts

b. the bears aren't going to be very good anyway

c. How many quarterbacks do you think could have made it but they were brought into the wrong system or had a coach who didn't know how to use them or were so overwhelmed from the season, combine, draft, rookie camp, training camp that they could never get it going, lost confidence and ultimately never made it? I believe some hall of fame talent exists out there but instead of being NFL starters they're bagging groceries. Not because they didn't have the talent but by chance the variables lined up against them.

That's how I view the Trubisky situation - let the kid sit there and learn. Let's eliminate one variable that we know has benefited some other QB's who went on to be very successful. There's no guarantee sitting a year makes a difference, just like there is no guarantee that wearing a seatbelt on your drive home today is going to save your life... but the upside is that it could make a difference in his development and could be the difference between being our franchise guy or just another footnote in the debacle that has been the Chicago Bears quarterback.

I see the risk in letting him sit for a year an overwhelmingly better proposition than the risk of playing him for a year. Just my opinion.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
When Trubisky doesn't take over as the starter when does the panic set in and Trubisky start getting called a bust?

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I predict that, a little later in the season people are going to be saying, "Maybe we should give Glennon another shot?"
Peyton Manning with a young Micheal Vicks legs couldn't pull out wins with the craptastic talent on the rest of the team...

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I look at it as a matter of risk mitigation. What's the upside to playing him this year? Do you think not playing this year is going to hamper his development? That's about the only coherent argument I can think of to play him this year. That at least he'll get the rooking mistakes out of the way.

I'm in favor of sitting him for the following reasons:

a. he only has 13 college starts

b. the bears aren't going to be very good anyway

c. How many quarterbacks do you think could have made it but they were brought into the wrong system or had a coach who didn't know how to use them or were so overwhelmed from the season, combine, draft, rookie camp, training camp that they could never get it going, lost confidence and ultimately never made it? I believe some hall of fame talent exists out there but instead of being NFL starters they're bagging groceries. Not because they didn't have the talent but by chance the variables lined up against them.

That's how I view the Trubisky situation - let the kid sit there and learn. Let's eliminate one variable that we know has benefited some other QB's who went on to be very successful. There's no guarantee sitting a year makes a difference, just like there is no guarantee that wearing a seatbelt on your drive home today is going to save your life... but the upside is that it could make a difference in his development and could be the difference between being our franchise guy or just another footnote in the debacle that has been the Chicago Bears quarterback.

I see the risk in letting him sit for a year an overwhelmingly better proposition than the risk of playing him for a year. Just my opinion.

A) The lack of starts isn't going to be helped by him sitting; practice experience he already has plenty of.

B) They can't just wait to "be good" to play him, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

C) None of us have any idea. Also, the opposite could be true. How many were hampered by having to sit rather than gaining actual experience? We don't know that either, so it's just conjecture.

That's the thing, you make the automatic assumption that sitting will help him more as opposed to playing -- I don't know if that will help or it will just be time wasted that he could get actual field experience. I think he should be in there once he has the playbook and any mechanical tweeks down, rather than artificially being held back in his development. If it takes him a whole year plus to get those things in order then so be it, but if he can run the huddle and is otherwise set mentally there's no reason to delay his adjustment to the game because it's been predetermined that it has to take a year. Why not three years? That helped Rodgers, so why not just say right now that he'll pay once Glennon is gone? It makes no sense to impose artificial timelines to these things rather than just letting him play when he's ready.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'll recant on the throwing motion criticism. I thought I remembered reading it somewhere, but now can't find it, and all I did find on his throwing motion is all the positive things iueyedoc posted and the like. I may have gotten that confused with other QB scouting reports I was reading pre-draft, but frankly, I am glad as that makes me feel a bit better about Mitch starting earlier and overall.

I still want to see that footwork cleaned up, but I think that effectively put me in the camp of wanting to see him sooner rather than later, since before I was operating on a false assumption.

I won't bother to find it but even Mitchell said that the coaches have talked about working harder to step into his throws. My comments weren't from reports as much as what I saw before we drafted him. Apparently the coaches agree. Like what Doc posted, you generally only see good reports about his mechanics, including his feet. He's got very good feet but they seem a bit lazy when he throws sometimes and I suspect it's because he doesn't need to rely on them for accuracy or enough velocity on most throws. He's now playing with faster and bigger defenders and will need every advantage he can muster. I loved him because he didn't need great mechanics to be effective (something I put more weight into than most) but that doesn't mean he shouldn't use them when he can.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They won't get a used pickle jar for Glennon in a trade. Paying him all of that money was STUPID. They should have kept Hoyer and gone after a good offensive tackle and a wide receiver.

Um, they did go after those. Glennon prevented that how? I know, we missed out on that all star LT in FA again.:confused:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Glennon will play 5 weeks and put up MVP numbers. Trubs will come in and win league MVP. Pace will trade them both for 8 1st round picks and draft the future GOAT QB in next years draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When Trubisky doesn't take over as the starter when does the panic set in and Trubisky start getting called a bust?

I would only be concerned if Glennon plays bad and still plays all 16 games.

Any other scenario and I am cool.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mike Glennon-18 million guaranteed

Brian Hoyer-10 milloon guaranteed

I would rather take an 8 million roll of the dice with Glennon. Hoyer has 0 chance of letting them develop Trubisky.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I still go back to what that AFC scout said about mechanics - that if you let a rookie QB sit his first year, there is a far lesser chance of them reverting to bad mechanics the rest of their career, and that the opposite is true - start them year 1, and as soon as the shit hits the fan, they regress into their old mechanics and it becomes engrained.

As such, unless something nuts happens and Bears can trade Glennon before the cutoff for a 1st or 2nd round pick by some desperate team, I support the Bears keeping Trubisky on the bench all season no matter what, although, maybe, maybe I consider playing him for the last 2-4 games if Glennon is still here, depending on where the Bears are (and if by some stretch, the Bears get to the playoffs with Glennon at the helm, I keep Mitch benched, and then trade Glennon in the offseason).

Or protect him and let him develop his mechanics in the game.

Just because a rookie plays doesn't mean they are going to develop bad habits. Didn't seem to happen for Carr and Mariota, neither of which took an under centre snap in college.

I don't really care what Trubisky's mechanics look like against 2nd stringers, with no pass rush, and not getting hit.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You realize when you change mechanics there is a good chance of screwing the kid up? He already has good mechanics, his main concern is experience readying an NFL defense. If we would of drafted Mahomes or Watson then I would agree with you, because those guys need a lot of work.

Mechanics encompass more than just throwing motion which is likely what you're worried about. The kid has experience as a shotgun quarterback and while we ran far more shotgun than we did under center in the offense last season that doesn't mean he doesn't need to learn to drop back to pass. He also has a tendency to rely on the arm when things break down around him or when he feels pressure even if its not there. He needs to use his entire body to deliver passes instead of just his arm. I don't doubt his accuracy or his ability to make those awkward body throws. I would prefer he only uses that when he needs to instead of leaving it as a habit. His throwing motion is fine. You leave that be. He has other things to clean up.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glennon is an expensive insurance plan, if Trubs look semi-decent in camp and preseason...we will see him starting sooner rather than later. The minute Glennon starts to struggle, Trubisky is in.

Ahem, pardon me when I say. Shut. The. Fuck. Up. He is not an expensive starting quarterback in the NFL. Can this fucking fallacy die already for fucks sake.

Uqd8ZWq.png

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks. Cheapest starter not Hoyer, McCown or on a rookie deal.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks. Cheapest starter not Hoyer, McCown or on a rookie deal.

This is all very true, but it also relies on the stipulation that he actually remains a starting QB.

latest

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Ahem, pardon me when I say. Shut. The. Fuck. Up. He is not an expensive starting quarterback in the NFL. Can this fucking fallacy die already for fucks sake.

Uqd8ZWq.png

Had Pace not spent a 2nd overall pick on a QB then I would agree, but what is the graphic for his salary compared to backups? Because Pace, Fox, the McCaskey's, Trubisky, all the players except Glennon, and most fans want to see and are hoping Trubisky is starting at some point this season. If the article in the OP is right we'll see him starting early in the season. So if Glennon is the starter for the whole year, you are 100% right compared to the rest of the league starters he is on the cheaper side...but if he is the back up by week 4, what does his salary look like compared to the leagues backups? If you have that graphic it would be very helpful, maybe he is a cheap backup and my expensive insurance plan comment was unwarranted.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Why do some ignore the sequence of events? Bears cut/release every QB on the team, to wit, they have no starter or back up on the roster prior to free agency. They sign Glennon and Sanchez, then they draft Trubisky. Had they figured they would get Trubisky and, say, just signed a mid level guy like Sanchez and resigned Shaw and then Clev or SF decided they wanted Trubisky, how excting would that be right now?

Sanchez, Shaw, and the likes of Davis Webb would be a shitshow.

1) Pace didn't have any way to know that Trubisky would be available.
2) If FA was after the draft, does anyone think they would have signed Glennon?
3) Glennon was offered $8M , I believe,to remain TB's back up.
4) The money paid him in no way hampers anything the Bears would have done or will do cap wise.
5) Worst case scenario is Glennon sucks on a Brian Hoyer level and the Bears move on with minimal financial effect next season. Best case, Pace ends up with a upper level draft chit that costs him $18M.

My question is, given the ample space the Bears have in the cap, why would anyone care what Glennon makes? How does it impact the Bears or your lives personally?

Last edited: