Glennon Is A Week-To-Week Starting QB

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Sorry but eventually you have to take a swing at a franchise level QB. I would rather have a sense of direction which I believe they have now.

Because they have Trubisky...if they went with Hoyer and Barkley in your scenario they aren't the long term solution, just like Glennon wouldn't be. So the swing for a franchise QB would be for an eventual rookie not that Hoyer would be one.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
So yes I would much rather gamble on one of the best CB's last year to continue his top play then to hope Glennon potentially pans out without having Trubisky.

I'm not sure why you keep acting like signing Glennon somehow prevented them from picking up a CB in FA. Is it the $24 mil+ of current cap space that's the issue? Glennon's contract has nothing to do with with them signing a CB or not.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That's not what he said though. He basically said that any QB sitting on the bench is a bust at that point.

he said this:

And yes, as long as Trubisky remains a backup to Glennon of all people, I will consider him a "bust". You can't produce for your team from the bench.

he was referring to Trubisky sitting on the bench behind Glennon...it's obvious he was talking about Glennon.

There is a huge difference between Rodgers sitting behind Favre and Trubisky sitting behind Glennon.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not sure why you keep acting like signing Glennon somehow prevented them from picking up a CB in FA. Is it the $24 mil+ of current cap space that's the issue? Glennon's contract has nothing to do with with them signing a CB or not.

I'm not, I was responding to didshe's hypothetical, see below:

It's easy to say that once you have Trubisky also.

But would you rather have overpaid for Bouye and have Hoyer starting with Barkley backing him up, or our current situation?

I want to be sure I am understanding this right:

Would I rather have Hoyer at $12M for 2 years and Barkley at $4M for 2 years with Bouye at CB or Glennon at $45M for 3 years and Sanchez at $2M for 1 year without Trubisky and the CB's we currently have?

That is correct. Would you?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I mentioned this to you a while ago and I never got a response.

I said that if Glennon plays like a top QB, we don't trade him. Instead we trade Trubisky and probably for more than a mere first rounder since we got him at number 2. The reason is not only that Glennon would at that point be more of a guaranteed thing, but also the contract. We would have a proven QB in Glennon playing in 2018 for pennies. In fact, we would probably have to rework his contract at some point in 2018.
*Insert "We are all dumber for having read this" gif here*

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Because they have Trubisky...if they went with Hoyer and Barkley in your scenario they aren't the long term solution, just like Glennon wouldn't be. So the swing for a franchise QB would be for an eventual rookie not that Hoyer would be one.

Glennon would still be a longer term investment than Hoyer...

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
he said this:

he was referring to Trubisky sitting on the bench behind Glennon...it's obvious he was talking about Glennon.

There is a huge difference between Rodgers sitting behind Favre and Trubisky sitting behind Glennon.

But then he said that "you can't produce from the bench". That is where he is implying that anyone sitting on the bench is a bust.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I love this. You can't buy Packers tickets at face value and sell them for a profit...but there is no problem in the Bears taking a guy at #2, having him rot on the bench behind Mike Glennon, then flipping him for a 'boatload' of assets.

Makes sense. I imagine if the Jags put Blake Bortles on the open market right now, they'd be getting at least two 1st round picks in return, possibly three.

What does that have to do with the Packers secondary value for their tickets?

If Glennon plays like a probowl QB you CAN'T BENCH HIM for an unknown. If he KEEPS playing like a probowl QB, you have to trade the other QB. It's common sense and any team would do that. It's an extremely unlikely scenario but it's the truth.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Glennon would still be a longer term investment than Hoyer...

I would much rather bank on Bouye who has at least shown to have talent to be a top CB panning out for the long term than hoping Glennon who has been a backup for most of his career to pan out for the long term investment. QB is the most important position for a team, but if my only options are getting a potential shut down corner and waiting out on a QB or overpaying a career backup and waiting on a CB...give me the CB each time.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What does that have to do with the Packers secondary value for their tickets?

If Glennon plays like a probowl QB you CAN'T BENCH HIM for an unknown. If he KEEPS playing like a probowl QB, you have to trade the other QB. It's common sense and any team would do that. It's an extremely unlikely scenario but it's the truth.

I guess SD didn't get that memo when Brees was playing lights out and they had just drafted Rivers

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Had the Bears passed on Glennon and missed onTrubisky they would be San Fran (Hoyer, Barkley, Beathard) and that, in year 3 of a rebuild, would be depressing and unacceptable. Trubisky is sucking up all the stars in Bears fans eyes, had Glennon been the only QB addition with possible untapped potential, Bears fans would be more enraptured with him right now.

Glennon/Amakamura would have more potential than Hoyer/Bouye would have to add wins to tlhe Bears, so it isn't a slam dunk either way.

I would bet good money 2 years from now neither of the $15M guys will be worth the contract they signed this offseason. And the other 2 will be gone.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
No, the issue is that you somehow think Trubisky will have increased in value by sitting on the bench. Even women understand that once you drive the car off the lot, it immediately depreciates in value. I thought we kind of saw this with Garrappolo...and in your scenario Trubisky will have never played a down in the NFL.

Good stuff.

Really? Tell that to Ted Thompson when he tries to recover draft picks for Hundley in a year.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Brees was injured and they already admitted they were wrong on his recovery.

Rivers sat behind him for 2 years...with your strategy they should have traded Rivers for two 1st's and two 2nd's after that first year

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Had the Bears passed on Glennon and missed onTrubisky they would be San Fran (Hoyer, Barkley, Beathard) and that, in year 3 of a rebuild, would be depressing and unacceptable. Trubisky is sucking up all the stars in Bears fans eyes, had Glennon been the only QB addition with possible untapped potential, Bears fans would be more enraptured with him right now.

Glennon/Amakamura would have more potential than Hoyer/Bouye would have to add wins to tlhe Bears, so it isn't a slam dunk either way.

I would bet good money 2 years from now neither of the $15M guys will be worth the contract they signed this offseason. And the other 2 will be gone.

I honestly don't see that much of a difference between Glennon and Hoyer...and see a big difference between Bouye and Amukamara

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Rivers sat behind him for 2 years...with your strategy they should have traded Rivers for two 1st's and two 2nd's after that first year

The Chargers offered Brees a 5 year 50 million dollar deal and he rejected it because he knew he was worth more. Chargers didn't want to pay him top QB money because of his shoulder.

What do you think the Chargers would have done if he accepted the deal? Keep Rivers forever on the bench?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Makes sense...the Packers or Patriots trying to offload one of their backup QBs is the exact same thing as the Bears offloading one of their backup QBs. Like when an NFL team is looking at the waiver wire, the immediately look at who the Bears and Browns have released, thinking "these guys just HAVE to be good..."

Stop posting for the rest of the day.

So because it's the Packers and the Patriots backups, they magically hold more value on the bench? Don't be silly.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't see that much of a difference between Glennon and Hoyer...and see a big difference between Bouye and Amukamara

The difference between Glennon and Hoyer is 4 years of age. You know you are getting middling play out of Hoyer. Atleast with Glennon, there is the unknown that he might be better even though that likelihood is small. With Hoyer, it's 0.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Chargers offered Brees a 5 year 50 million dollar deal and he rejected it because he knew he was worth more. Chargers didn't want to pay him top QB money because of his shoulder.

What do you think the Chargers would have done if he accepted the deal? Keep Rivers forever on the bench?

They wouldn't have gotten a 1st round pick