Glennon Is A Week-To-Week Starting QB

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
The difference between Glennon and Hoyer is 4 years of age. You know you are getting middling play out of Hoyer. Atleast with Glennon, there is the unknown that he might be better even though that likelihood is small. With Hoyer, it's 0.

And there is a 3 year age difference between Bouye and Amukamara, at least with Bouye you know he can put up a top season for a CB where Amukamara you know you will get average play.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
And there is a 3 year age difference between Bouye and Amukamara, at least with Bouye you know he can put up a top season for a CB where Amukamara you know you will get average play.

But we are talking the most important position in sports vs maybe the 5th most important position in football.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
A top 5 pick on a QB that hasn't played absolutely would net a 1st round pick a mere 2 years later.

I really hope negotiating any type of deal isn't how you make a living...a team give a QB a rich contract and has a young QB on their bench that now has no value to them. What leverage does SD have...potential? SD has a commodity that is has now use to them now, every QB needy team now knows this. I highly doubt a QB with 30 pass attempts would net a 1st round pick.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But we are talking the most important position in sports vs maybe the 5th most important position in football.

and you are talking about Mike Glennon and Brian Hoyer

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Chargers didn't draft Rivers...he was had in trade for Eli Manning who bitched out and forced a trade. Ironically Rivers would have probably given the Giants even more SB wins than Eli has.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The simple fact you keep harping on me calling Glennon an expensive insurance plan, and stating that isn't so because he is the starter and his salary compared to the rest of the league starters is at the bottom half. If you understood that it is a mere matter of time that Trubisky would be starting the expensive tag wouldn't matter, because (as you have stated) when Glennon is the backup he will be an expensive backup.

And you are making trading a backup QB who has been supplanted twice (once Trubisky inevitably becomes the starter) by rookies in his career would be an easy thing to do...trading backup QB's are not common place, so what makes you think there will be a market for Glennon? Because you are crossing your fingers that he somehow plays at a level where teams would be willing to give up picks for him?

Holy fuck, I literally give up on you. You would rather push your narrative than see actuality and possibility. Nevermind the fact Pace liked Glennon to begin with when he first got into the league or that his being twice supplanted by quarterbacks are for the fucking number one overall and fucking number two overall picks in two different drafts. Please do tell, how many times in NFL history has a 3rd round quarterback kept the starting job over the #1 overall pick in the draft?

I'm not sure why you keep acting like signing Glennon somehow prevented them from picking up a CB in FA. Is it the $24 mil+ of current cap space that's the issue? Glennon's contract has nothing to do with with them signing a CB or not.

Because he apparently doesn't even realize that the Bears aren't exactly a high draw for free agents in their current state much less with the proposed Senate Bill 12 SA #2 making it so:

"NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has vowed to discourage free agents from signing with the Bears should Illinois state legislators pass a law that would affect professional athletes’ eligibility for workers’ compensation.

Senate Bill 12 SA #2, which Smith says Bears owner George McCaskey is behind, would alter the state's workers’ compensation law so that athletes would no longer be eligible for benefits once they turn 35, unless they can prove their career is expected to go beyond that. Most workers are eligible for benefits until the age of 67."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...law-george-mccaskey/hoft7stge8vm15rxflhisc1je

But hey, keep acting like we had a real chance at signing him. No skin off my back.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I honestly don't see that much of a difference between Glennon and Hoyer...and see a big difference between Bouye and Amukamara
That may be true, but I don't think anyone has seen enough of Glennon to make a definitive evaluation, plus a moderately better QB would be worth more than a significantly better CB as far as team chances are concerned.

As for Glennon, he played for one of the most dysfunctional HC's in recent NFL history in Greg Schiano as a rookie and one of the most offensively inept his second year in Lovie Smith. He outplayed Josh Freeman by 24.6 passer rating points in 2013 and McCown by 12.8 in 2014.

So while he may end up average at best, no one has seen him on even a slightly below average team, let alone one worth a damn. Hell, that may be true again after next season, but Hoyer has zero upside, Glennon's is at least unknown.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Holy fuck, I literally give up on you. You would rather push your narrative than see actuality and possibility. Nevermind the fact Pace liked Glennon to begin with when he first got into the league or that his being twice supplanted by quarterbacks are for the fucking number one overall and fucking number two overall picks in two different drafts. Please do tell, how many times in NFL history has a 3rd round quarterback kept the starting job over the #1 overall pick in the draft?

what narrative, that he is an expensive insurance plan...that's what he is, you don't agree with the expensive part based off of the slim chance he remains a starter but that's you. No where have I said that Pace made a mistake in signing Glennon, a FA QB had to be signed and he got a decent one.

And do you honestly think that it will be an easy sell to trade Glennon if he is supplanted by Trubisky early on. Is it bad luck Glennon has been put in situations where this would happen sure, but that doesn't bring value to the table for the trade negotiations. Tell me, how many times has a QB started the season as the starter and finished as the backup and got traded for anything of value?

Because he apparently doesn't even realize that the Bears aren't exactly a high draw for free agents in their current state much less with the proposed Senate Bill 12 SA #2 making it so:

"NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith has vowed to discourage free agents from signing with the Bears should Illinois state legislators pass a law that would affect professional athletes’ eligibility for workers’ compensation.

Senate Bill 12 SA #2, which Smith says Bears owner George McCaskey is behind, would alter the state's workers’ compensation law so that athletes would no longer be eligible for benefits once they turn 35, unless they can prove their career is expected to go beyond that. Most workers are eligible for benefits until the age of 67."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...law-george-mccaskey/hoft7stge8vm15rxflhisc1je

But hey, keep acting like we had a real chance at signing him. No skin off my back.

When have I ever said the Bears had a chance at getting Bouye...most of the Bouye talk is in response to did she's hypothetical situation. The closest thing I have said to the Bears having a chance at getting Bouye was this:

Call me crazy but I would like to see Pace gamble on a CB then to "overpay" a QB who he doesn't expect to be the starter the following year...especially when the plan is to draft a QB. Pace had the cap room to go for both but lost out on getting Bouye...but if it were an either/or situation on spending money on Glennon and losing Bouye or spending money on Bouye and missing out on Glennon...give me Bouye every single time

All that really said was Pace had cap space for both but couldn't get Bouye.

I know I was banned for a long time, but I don't remember you being this emotional over potential backup QB's. You seem upset and there really isn't a reason to be upset.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I really hope negotiating any type of deal isn't how you make a living...a team give a QB a rich contract and has a young QB on their bench that now has no value to them. What leverage does SD have...potential? SD has a commodity that is has now use to them now, every QB needy team now knows this. I highly doubt a QB with 30 pass attempts would net a 1st round pick.

When they are drafted, they have 0 pass attempts.

A completely healthy QB who was highly recruited to be a top 5 pick who was sitting behind a probowl QB would still be that same QB 2 years later. What has changed other than he is now 24?

Do you think if the Colts drafted Luck and Manning stayed with the team, he wouldn't be worth a 1st round pick 2 years later?

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That may be true, but I don't think anyone has seen enough of Glennon to make a definitive evaluation, plus a moderately better QB would be worth more than a significantly better CB as far as team chances are concerned.

As for Glennon, he played for one of the most dysfunctional HC's in recent NFL history in Greg Schiano as a rookie and one of the most offensively inept his second year in Lovie Smith. He outplayed Josh Freeman by 24.6 passer rating points in 2013 and McCown by 12.8 in 2014.

So while he may end up average at best, no one has seen him on even a slightly below average team, let alone one worth a damn. Hell, that may be true again after next season, but Hoyer has zero upside, Glennon's is at least unknown.

Glennon has definitely had a shit hand in terms of what he has had to deal with and back when Cutler was here someone threw out the idea of trading for him (possibly FT) and I was on board with that. At his rookie contract price he would definitely be worth the gamble. If Glennon were the only option for QB...At $45M for 3 years, might as well stick with Hoyer and try to draft a rookie in the following draft. With Trubisky, the Glennon contract is just an expensive insurance plan and worth whatever risk.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When they are drafted, they have 0 pass attempts.

A completely healthy QB who was highly recruited to be a top 5 pick who was sitting behind a probowl QB would still be that same QB 2 years later. What has changed other than he is now 24?

Do you think if the Colts drafted Luck and Manning stayed with the team, he wouldn't be worth a 1st round pick 2 years later?

If JaMarcus Russell was drafted by Indianapolis would he be worth a 1st round pick after 2 years?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Glennon has definitely had a shit hand in terms of what he has had to deal with and back when Cutler was here someone threw out the idea of trading for him (possibly FT) and I was on board with that. At his rookie contract price he would definitely be worth the gamble. If Glennon were the only option for QB...At $45M for 3 years, might as well stick with Hoyer and try to draft a rookie in the following draft. With Trubisky, the Glennon contract is just an expensive insurance plan and worth whatever risk.
I honestly love what Pace did. I didn't like the Glennon signing originally, but that was based on it affecting a QB draft pick. In fact, I stated months ago, that if it doesn't influence his draft strategy then two bites at the apple is the best plan.

Seems that is exactly what he is doing. The Glennon bite being a nibble and the Trubisky bite a full on horse mouth Shannon Sharp bite.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I honestly love what Pace did. I didn't like the Glennon signing originally, but that was based on it affecting a QB draft pick. In fact, I stated months ago, that if it doesn't influence his draft strategy then two bites at the apple is the best plan.

Seems that is exactly what he is doing. The Glennon bite being a nibble and the Trubisky bite a full on horse mouth Shannon Sharp bite.

This is where I was and am at.

The 2 swings at the QB position was always the best thing to do. Glennon is a long shot that only ends up costing you cap room that you have ample amounts of and Trubisky is the home run swing that costs you the real value in draft capital. I think that Glennon will end up being a waste of money, but it is worth the risk.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you have no answer. As you did not throw a nickel in the "garbage." Just pissing into the wind and then complaining about your yellow stained keds.
Money wasted is money wasted. Forget about even entertaining the thought of bringing Glennon in and then maybe the Bears don't have to go dumpster diving free agents.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you saying because Pace signed Glennon it made the Browns lean more towards Garrett instead of Trubisky???

no I think it prevented competition for the number 2 spot that the Bears traded up to.....

The Browns had a lot of ammo in the draft

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glennon earned $15M to be the Bears starting QB from March 10, 2017 to April 27, 2017. That's good money if you can get it. Even Eddie Royal would be impressed with that ROI.

I really don't buy the talk that everything that happened was part of some Ryan Pace master plan, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

That deal is almost as impressive as the 21 mil Jason Hayward earned for giving that speech in the World Series last season.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Glennon/Amakamura would have more potential than Hoyer/Bouye would have to add wins to tlhe Bears, so it isn't a slam dunk either way.

How would it ad to more wins? Are you assuming that Glennon is a better QB then Hoyer, if so why?

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Money wasted is money wasted. Forget about even entertaining the thought of bringing Glennon in and then maybe the Bears don't have to go dumpster diving free agents.

If the Bears win a Superbowl again in say, the next 5 years (hypothetical), when the clock winds down and they pour the Gatorade on the coach, are you in that moment going to be saying "So they won the Superbowl, but WHAT ABOUT ALL THAT MONEY THEY WASTED!?"

I mean - come on.

Worry about wasted money when the team is at the cap limit, or the lack of cap space means they miss out on a free agent they had targeted highly.

Worrying about it at this stage, with Glennon, just reads like you are just looking for a reason to bitch.