HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He was the insurance plan the minute the ink hit the paper...unless you are delusional enough to believe he was considered the long term solution for the Bears when Pace signed him. Him becoming the backup doesn't change the fact that Glennon was signed as his just in case player. Pace got Glennon just in case he couldn't get his guy in the draft. Pace got Glennon just in case the QB he drafts isn't ready to start from day 1. Pace got Glennon just in case the QB he drafted becomes the starter and a decent veteran backup is needed. That is the definition of an insurance plan, you have insurance just in case something happens.

I don't know why you are getting so offended that I keep calling him an expensive insurance plan. It's what he is...even in the unlikely scenario that he starts for the whole year and goes into next year as the starter. He is the insurance plan until Trubisky takes over.

Glennon is in fact an insurance plan. The part we won't yet agree upon is that he is an expensive one. If all he winds up being is a backup caliber quarterback then yes you are correct in labeling him an expensive insurance plan. If he winds up proving to be a starting caliber quarterback then for fucks sake he is not an expensive insurance plan. Or do you have some problem with potentially having two competent quarterbacks for once in our miserable Bears fan lives?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I agree. The pace of salary increases has so outpaced inflation for the top tier players in all sports that guys are now making decisions on where to play based on quality of life factors, like chance to win a championship or family, so offering a Gilmore or a Bouye the most money doesn't guarantee his acquisition anymore. Some guys will solely follow the $$'s, but not all.

And as much fun it is to see your team land those guys, I can't remember the last good team built that way. All I see is the Philly dream team failure or any number of Redskins debacles. You don't build a team through high priced free agents, you get that missing piece that way.

blowing a teams cap on a bunch of high priced old FA's can kill a team. Being smart and getting the right players will set a team up for success. CB and WR were probably the two biggest positions that had holes. I was really hoping Pace could land Bouye or Gilmore, CB is a big question mark. The WR FA class was very weak, so I had hoped Pace would be able to retain Jeffery but was alright seeing him walk.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I 100% agree with gpphat.

Glennon is a super expensive insurance policy and like any insurance policy,

-If you do not use it, or it does not cover what you need, you feel like you wasted money.
-If you do use it, then you feel like you got a good value.

For me getting good value out of the Glennon 18 million if he can play well enough that Trubisky is not forced to play and we can flip him for a draft pick or 2 next season.

If in 2018 Trubisky is starting and Glennon got us a 4th and 6th round pick I will think the 18 million was well worth it.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glennon is in fact an insurance plan. The part we won't yet agree upon is that he is an expensive one. If all he winds up being is a backup caliber quarterback then yes you are correct in labeling him an expensive insurance plan. If he winds up proving to be a starting caliber quarterback then for fucks sake he is not an expensive insurance plan. Or do you have some problem with potentially having two competent quarterbacks for once in our miserable Bears fan lives?
market value says Glennon is expensive. He wouldn't have gotten more than half as much with any other team. And anyone who has seen him play knows he was way overpaid.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
blowing a teams cap on a bunch of high priced old FA's can kill a team. Being smart and getting the right players will set a team up for success. CB and WR were probably the two biggest positions that had holes. I was really hoping Pace could land Bouye or Gilmore, CB is a big question mark. The WR FA class was very weak, so I had hoped Pace would be able to retain Jeffery but was alright seeing him walk.

I think Iuydoc's point about salaries out pacing talent is a fair one.

In the NFL you have always over paid in free agency, but the cap increases have made it even more staggering. When you see guys like Gilmore making 14 million a season it just shows that the market is flush with cap and not enough high quality players to spend it wisely.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
market value says Glennon is expensive. He wouldn't have gotten more than half as much with any other team. And anyone who has seen him play knows he was way overpaid.

No doubt they overpaid.

But I have paid 10K in home insurance premiums and never once made a claim. I am probably over insured, but my house is my most important investment and I do not want any risk. Similar to the Bears QB spot.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

What makes you think that Glennon won't end up as the backup...Pace traded up one spot to draft Trubisky 2nd overall and you think there is a legitimate chance that he could end up being the long term starter for the team? I never thought that you would be that delusional, but maybe I am wrong. You are getting worked up over me calling him an expensive insurance plan because at this moment in time he is on the depth chart as the starter.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I 100% agree with gpphat.

Glennon is a super expensive insurance policy and like any insurance policy,

-If you do not use it, or it does not cover what you need, you feel like you wasted money.
-If you do use it, then you feel like you got a good value.

For me getting good value out of the Glennon 18 million if he can play well enough that Trubisky is not forced to play and we can flip him for a draft pick or 2 next season.

If in 2018 Trubisky is starting and Glennon got us a 4th and 6th round pick I will think the 18 million was well worth it.

Calling him an expensive insurance policy isn't a knock on Pace or Glennon. Pace needed to sign a veteran QB, he could have gone with a cheaper option for his insurance policy but he ponied up and paid Glennon who has at least shown some flashes of solid play. None of what he did was "bad" and he had the cap room to pay Glennon. Like Spartan said Pace overpaid based off what the market was for Glennon, but that's not too big of a deal because he can be cut for cheap next year.

If Trubisky becomes the starter this year or it is known he will be the starter in 2018...no one is going to give out multiple picks for Glennon. It doesn't make sense because it will be likely the Bears just cut Glennon.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
My question still stand: With the Bears $25 M under the cap even after overpaying him, what difference did paying him $15M per make to the team or to you personally? Assuming you are not a McCaskey, it should not matter.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
What makes you think that Glennon won't end up as the backup...Pace traded up one spot to draft Trubisky 2nd overall and you think there is a legitimate chance that he could end up being the long term starter for the team? I never thought that you would be that delusional, but maybe I am wrong. You are getting worked up over me calling him an expensive insurance plan because at this moment in time he is on the depth chart as the starter.

I won't lie - many of us after Trubisky was drafted were sold on the idea of letting the 2 duke it out, best player wins, and if the other guy is adequate enough, trade him for picks.

However, what changed my thought process is the reports coming out of camp that Trubisky is NOTICABLY better than Glennon.

We will all see in training camp and pre-season, but if Trubisky is THAT good? I see no reason why to hold onto that old train of thought.

It all depends on how good Trubisky actually looks though.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

How do you not understand a simple concept? If Glennon proves to be a competent enough starter then either we have a good albeit expensive backup quarterback behind Trubisky or you have an affordable starting quarterback to be traded to another team for a draft pick. Exactly how in the fuck did you read my posts and interpret them as Trubisky not ending up the starting quarterback at some point? Everyone knows this to be a mere matter of time.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
My question still stand: With the Bears $25 M under the cap even after overpaying him, what difference did paying him $15M per make to the team or to you personally? Assuming you are not a McCaskey, it should not matter.
You want to throw money in the garbage then go ahead. It's 100% about Trubisky. Glennon is irrelevant. No team will win with him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It's the wrong way to do it in today's NFL. All those one year prove it deals cost us mid round picks, just like the ones some through hissy fits about losing for Trubisky. We are drafting 5-7 players a year while smart teams are drafting 9-12. This can not continue or we will never get ahead, unless Pace hits on an insane number of picks compared to the rest of the league.

The way to do it is to have Buy years and sell years. Of course I don't want a Snyder like sign every washed up big name player, but I do want to see the Bears start to play the game the right way based on the rules.
What player that has left the Bears as a free agent do you feel would have garnered a comp pick over the last 3-4 seasons had the GM not signed free agents? The only possibility at this point that I see is Forte and that is a stretch.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Call me crazy but I would like to see Pace gamble on a CB then to "overpay" a QB who he doesn't expect to be the starter the following year...especially when the plan is to draft a QB. Pace had the cap room to go for both but lost out on getting Bouye...but if it were an either/or situation on spending money on Glennon and losing Bouye or spending money on Bouye and missing out on Glennon...give me Bouye every single time

It's easy to say that once you have Trubisky also.

But would you rather have overpaid for Bouye and have Hoyer starting with Barkley backing him up, or our current situation?

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You want to see bad value, watch how much money Stafford, a guy who has never won a playoff game, gets from the Lions on his next deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I won't lie - many of us after Trubisky was drafted were sold on the idea of letting the 2 duke it out, best player wins, and if the other guy is adequate enough, trade him for picks.

However, what changed my thought process is the reports coming out of camp that Trubisky is NOTICABLY better than Glennon.

We will all see in training camp and pre-season, but if Trubisky is THAT good? I see no reason why to hold onto that old train of thought.

It all depends on how good Trubisky actually looks though.

I also agree with this.

But they need legit competition to gage Trubisky against. Hoyer, Sanchez or some other career backup is not going to force Trubisky to take their job.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Calling him an expensive insurance policy isn't a knock on Pace or Glennon. Pace needed to sign a veteran QB, he could have gone with a cheaper option for his insurance policy but he ponied up and paid Glennon who has at least shown some flashes of solid play. None of what he did was "bad" and he had the cap room to pay Glennon. Like Spartan said Pace overpaid based off what the market was for Glennon, but that's not too big of a deal because he can be cut for cheap next year.

If Trubisky becomes the starter this year or it is known he will be the starter in 2018...no one is going to give out multiple picks for Glennon. It doesn't make sense because it will be likely the Bears just cut Glennon.

I am right there with you. The cost of the insurance to me is far less important than what kind of coverage you are getting from it. From Glennon we are getting a guy who is young enough to possibly have some long term value, has started games, and has more upside than a journeymen backup.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You want to throw money in the garbage then go ahead. It's 100% about Trubisky. Glennon is irrelevant. No team will win with him.
So you have no answer. As you did not throw a nickel in the "garbage." Just pissing into the wind and then complaining about your yellow stained keds.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

What if Trubisky had no wowed them in the pre draft process?

What if Trubisky went 1?

What if a team had snuck to 2?

If Trubisky was not on the team, as he was not in March, what would it be about then?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What if Trubisky had no wowed them in the pre draft process?

What if Trubisky went 1?

What if a team had snuck to 2?

If Trubisky was not on the team, as he was not in March, what would it be about then?
Conner Shaw Era!!
With $40M in cap space.
:buttrock::buttrock: