Montero DFA'd, welcome to the bigs Caritini!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
well, it would have cost us 13 million for someone to take him last winter, now they will only be paying an extra 7.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Was telling my buddy this morning..
Wouldn't surprise me if they got rid of Montero now and brought up Caratini..

Excited to see now what Caratini will do ...

Thanks miggy for that GS and big RBI in Gm 7, but sometimes you need to keep your thoughts in house..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I just think it's too bad. Montero was a good player for this team for the last couple of years. He shouldn't have run his mouth but I'm not sure Rizzo should have either, despite the fact that I agree with what Anthony said. It's an unfortunate situation but what's done is done.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Miggy wants to play, and now he may get a chance.

I am supportive of the move, and hoping against hope it wakes the team up or fires them up.

But our ERA was lower w Miggy, and our young catcher - who I love - makes errors and doesn't block pitches well. It's not all rosy just because Miggy is gone, but overall it's a turning of a page that was due relatively soon anyway.

I also agree that if Miggy was wrong to not keep it in house, so is Rizzo. Saying Miggy should have is perfectly ok by me. But the added part of "our other catcher..." was as wrong as Miggy's rant.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
To me Rizzo is protecting the team and handling it publicly because Montero choose that. I see no issue with Rizzo and in fact makes him an even greater leader.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The way things have been going this year, it was only a matter of time before something like this this reared it's head. Miggy pretty much forced Rizzo's hand....a team leader has to step up....he did

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Miggy will get signed quickly..
Plenty of teams could use veteran catcher..
Doesn't TB need a catcher

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Miggy will get signed quickly..
Plenty of teams could use veteran catcher..
Doesn't TB need a catcher

Not a cancer who can't throw. No one needs that.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
From ESPN Stats Twitter:

"Last season, Miguel Montero ranked third in getting extra strikes for pitchers. This season: 44th out of 66 catchers. According to Statcast, Montero averaged a 2.12-second "pop time" on throws to second base this season, tied for the slowest among 52 catchers to make at least five throws. The major league average is 2.00 seconds, and the Cubs' Willson Contreras is averaging 1.93 seconds (eight-best)."

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
We're turning into the Knicks.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rizzo addressing Montero's comments publicly was not the issue. Rizzo evaluating Montero or comparing him to Contreras (inaccurately, to boot) was the issue.

Montero's outburst can be discussed in the open in general terms. Montero's performance, specifically, is not gor Rizzo to discuss openly.

Rizzo, coming off a gold glove, sucked defensively for a month or more to start the season. His nonchalant play and "I am God" attitude did not help. That is not leading.

And Montero was wrong, but not a cancer. He sees special treatment for dome and spoke out. Leaders do that, but it should have been in private.

This team needs a spark. Let's hope this can be it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Caratini needs to work on defense.

In other words, he will hurt us. And Joe will play him a lot.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not a cancer who can't throw. No one needs that.

I'm pretty confident the cubs will at least get a PTBNL type prospect for him. Miggy's problem was he's pissed he doesn't play as the #1 catcher. There's enough bad catchers out there with the way he's hitting he'll start for someone perhaps even a playoff contender.