IST: Cubs @ Reds

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cubs-at-Reds-GAB.jpg

6/30 6:10 PM CDT
Montgomery (1-4,2.50 ERA) vs Feldman (6-5, 4.07 ERA)

7/1 3:10 PM CDT
Butler (4-2, 3.71 ERA) vs Stephens (0-0, --- ERA)

7/2 12:10 CDT
Arrieta 7-6 (4.67 ERA) vs Adleman (5-4, 4.62 ERA)

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Heading into the 4th of July weekend, the Cubs are a game out of first. That's fine with me. But apparently a few on this board think they should have 60 wins at this point and think the Cubs are under achieving which I suppose that is based off last season. You folks need to get a clue. This is not 2016 or even 2015 where a lot things fell nicely into place or this team. This is a new season and they've been hit with quite a bit of adversity....baseball has a way of evening things up in a hurry. I had to laugh at most of the pre-season prognosticators saying the Cubs were "the best team in baseball". Huh? What? They hadn't even played a game yet. All the numbers in the world don't add up to a hill of beans because those numbers show what people did in the PAST. These players are not video game pixels....they are real people like all of us, granted they have mad skills in this sport but they are still susceptible to the same physical and emotional problems we have. To expect these players to play exactly like they have previously is unrealistic. Sure, some will....some will be better but after what happened last year it's a pretty good bet that more will be down than up. A lot of the thrill is gone now as they have already accomplished what no other Cub team has done in over 100 years. I mean it's been like 20 years since there was a repeat in MLB, there is a reason for that. A 162 game schedule demands a lot goes your way, in 2015 and 2016 it did.....2017, not so much. I'm not seeing any lack of hustle or effort and given the fact that regular season wins don't mean dick....it's the 4th weekend and the Cubs still have a shot. I'm good with that.

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
We all have our own opinions and expectations. At the end of the day everyone of us wants the Cubs to win.

[video=youtube_share;MLCLMEYp9s0]https://youtu.be/MLCLMEYp9s0[/video]

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Heading into the 4th of July weekend, the Cubs are a game out of first. That's fine with me. But apparently a few on this board think they should have 60 wins at this point and think the Cubs are under achieving which I suppose that is based off last season. You folks need to get a clue. This is not 2016 or even 2015 where a lot things fell nicely into place or this team. This is a new season and they've been hit with quite a bit of adversity....baseball has a way of evening things up in a hurry. I had to laugh at most of the pre-season prognosticators saying the Cubs were "the best team in baseball". Huh? What? They hadn't even played a game yet. All the numbers in the world don't add up to a hill of beans because those numbers show what people did in the PAST. These players are not video game pixels....they are real people like all of us, granted they have mad skills in this sport but they are still susceptible to the same physical and emotional problems we have. To expect these players to play exactly like they have previously is unrealistic. Sure, some will....some will be better but after what happened last year it's a pretty good bet that more will be down than up. A lot of the thrill is gone now as they have already accomplished what no other Cub team has done in over 100 years. I mean it's been like 20 years since there was a repeat in MLB, there is a reason for that. A 162 game schedule demands a lot goes your way, in 2015 and 2016 it did.....2017, not so much. I'm not seeing any lack of hustle or effort and given the fact that regular season wins don't mean dick....it's the 4th weekend and the Cubs still have a shot. I'm good with that.

Right on. Baseball is a weird game and development of young players is not linear. On top of that the difference between winning and losing is nowhere near as large as people think it is. An 80 win team basically averages 3.3 wins/month less than a 100 win team, or less that one loss a week difference. A 90 win division winner wins exactly 2 wins more a month than a 78 win also-ran. Both those difference could be caused by slight player regression and/or injury. Shit happens and it's hard as hell to repeat.

The other thing is last year a lot of naysayers were saying the Cubs didn't have a shot at the WS because the best record in the league very rarely wins the WS. That's exactly right and we overcame those odds. Now many of those same people are saying that even if the Cubs get in the playoffs they will be an easy out. You really can't have it both ways. The playoffs are a crapshoot. There are a dozen ways this team could be significantly better in the second half and really not a lot that says they'll be worse. There is talent here. They'll be a playoff and while we have a pretty good idea who the playoff teams are going to be we have zero idea what any of them are going to look like in late September. We could be a first round exit or we could go deep. No one has any ideas. The 2016 103 win Cubs won a World Series by the thinnest of margins in 7 games while the 2006 Cardinals had 83 wins and won the World Series in 5 games. None of that is predictable. None. Of. It.

I love the game of baseball and I'll watch no matter what. I stay up late sometimes and watch West Coast ball because I can. I watch or closely follow every single Cubs game because they're my team. The season has been frustrating but I know there's a lot of baseball left to play. Let's play it. Go Cubs!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Need to sweep the Reds...

If coming back and winning yesterday against the Nats, and splitting with them on road gonna mean anything, they can't crap the bed this weekend against the reds. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The Cubs are under achieving. There is not much we can say to make this not true.

Reasons: Well Lackey should have retired.

Jake has gotten steadily worse after his 2nd no hitter.

Kyle got injured. Even though it may end up a blessing as his fastball dipped 2 mph. The time off may put his arm back where it was last year.

As far as the O is concerned. Even with out the injuries and Schwarber being demoted in general they has sputtered as a group. Sure Maddon may have made it worse with his jumbled approach.

Now how to fix the boat:

Honestly I believe they need Jay as the every day lead off to start. Rizzo did a great job and honestly may end up the long term guy but right now he is needed hitting 3. On Jay LF is the least potential problematic spot. He doesn't suck at all but he is not giving positive UZR either.

So for now until Bryant returns you want Jay, Happ, Rizzo at the top. After that you play the hitters that are producing currently. But 1-3 should be stable.

After that it is more about getting 100% and adding via trades. Even at 100% the rotation has 2 guys that have plain fallen off the table. There is no ace that you can lean on. The middle relief is shakey

Over all I personally feel that there is too much wrong going on to feel right.

I don't feel this is a quick fix issue either. That would be wishful thinking. Honestly they are not good and the brew is not good either. That is not something to hold faith in.

I believe a team deserves to be a champion. This year the Cubs don't. They are a flawed product.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So Joe is trying to match Montgomery with Victor to break him in. Joe said that he loves his swing. Well we get to see how his skill set is.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
See....thats the kind of immaturity Baez has for some reason. He wants to be attention getting. He wants to be cute. Why gun that so hard its 3 steps ahead of the runner but off-line? He can't resist showing off his arm. idiot.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They should consider trading Russell if they like Baez defense. 2B they have plenty of utility guys, happ or candelario. Russell probably has the biggest trade value that wouldn't hurt the team that much. You guys could move Schwarber back to back-up catcher, send Russell/Candelario off with prospect pitchers for a primo Ace pitcher, have Happ at 2B.

All power infield.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
This is Scott Feldman pitching right?

Guy starts game with ERA over 4 , 4 shutout innings later it's under 4

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Here we go...

Down 3 and no hit through 5

This is how they respond after a "Big Win" yesterday..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, let me see if i have this right.

We have two people on the roster who can catch. And Joe starts one of them in LF?

So we have the lesser catcher playing, and are NOT resting our starter?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
They should consider trading Russell if they like Baez defense. 2B they have plenty of utility guys, happ or candelario. Russell probably has the biggest trade value that wouldn't hurt the team that much. You guys could move Schwarber back to back-up catcher, send Russell/Candelario off with prospect pitchers for a primo Ace pitcher, have Happ at 2B.

All power infield.

Trading Russell right now might be the dumbest move they could make.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So, let me see if i have this right.

We have two people on the roster who can catch. And Joe starts one of them in LF?

So we have the lesser catcher playing, and are NOT resting our starter?
Bryant and Candelario are hurt and Maddon hoping to not have to use them..

Leaves LaStella and Zagunis on bench...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Team needs to start beatings somebody more than half the time.

Starting with a loss in Cincy would be terrible.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Javy, you could REALLY be a very good all around player if you could stop fishing for every pitch all the time.

Can we hire a hitting coach, please?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Wonder how much difference Bryant would of made tonight..

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
See....thats the kind of immaturity Baez has for some reason. He wants to be attention getting. He wants to be cute. Why gun that so hard its 3 steps ahead of the runner but off-line? He can't resist showing off his arm. idiot.

I couldn't agree more. He tries to make everything look "sexy".

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Same old cubs this year..
Win a big game, split series against Nats and then crap the bed against the reds..

Mediocre .500 Team