2017 Bulls Summer League IGT and Schedules

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Schedule: http://www.nba.com/summer-league-2017-las-vegas-schedule-official-release

July 8
1:30 p.m. – Dallas vs. Chicago (NBA TV)

July 10
1 p.m. – Atlanta vs. Chicago (ESPNU)

July 11
3 p.m. – Chicago vs. Washington (NBA TV)

Wednesday, July 12
Seeds 9-24 will play in 8 games at the below times and locations:
Cox Pavilion: 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Thomas & Mack: 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m.

Thursday, July 13
Seeds 1-8 will play against the winners of July 13th games at the below times and locations:
Cox Pavilion: 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Thomas & Mack: 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m.

Friday, July 14
Losers from games on July 13th and July 14th will play at the below times and locations:
Cox Pavilion: 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (ESPN Family of Networks)
Thomas & Mack: 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. (NBA TV)

Saturday, July 15 - Quarterfinals
Winners from games on July 14th will play at the below times:
Thomas & Mack: 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. (ESPN2/ EPSNU)

Sunday, July 16 - Semifinals
Winners from games on July 16th will play at the below times:
Thomas & Mack: 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. (ESPN2)

Monday, July 17 – Championship
Winners from games on July 17 will play at the below time:
Thomas & Mack: 7 p.m. (ESPN)

Rosters TBA, I don't think they are finalized yet.

7 Brady Heslip G 6-2 185 06/19/90 Baylor/Canada R

9 Antonio Blakeney G 6-4 197 10/04/96 Louisiana State/USA R

15 Ryan Arcidiacono G 6-3 195 03/26/94 Villanova/USA R

16 Paul Zipser F 6-8 226 02/18/94 Bayern Munich/Germany 1

20 Dejan Todorovic F 6-6 196 05/29/94 Bilbao/Spain R

22 Cameron Payne G 6-3 185 08/08/94 Murray State/USA 2

24 Lauri Markkanen F 7-0 230 05/22/97 Arizona/Finland R

25 Chris Walker F 6-10 220 12/22/94 Florida/USA R

32 Kris Dunn G 6-4 210 03/18/94 Providence/USA 1

35 Amida Brimah C 7-0 230 02/11/94 Connecticut/Ghana R

45 Denzel Valentine G 6-6 212 11/16/93 Michigan State/USA 1

50 Jerrelle Benimon F 6-8 245 09/01/91 Towson/USA 1

52 Nikola Jovanovic C/F 6-11 240 01/06/94 Southern California/USA R

Last edited:

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's defend that title!

Summer League is going to be more exciting than the regular season this year I guess ...

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Bulls vs. Mavs Summer League 1

so I'm watching Bulls/Mavs....I like Markkanen, I think it's possible Cameron Payne becomes at least BJ Armstrong, but am not so sure about Dunn. I haven't followed basketball all that closely like a lot of you have but I remember when I lived in TX. Nelson went hard for Steve Nash, who at that point was not a world beater, he saw something that even the Dallas sportswriters couldn't see, but Nash took about 4-5 years to mature coming into the league. When I see Payne and Valentine and some of the other young kids, I wonder if it's possible a couple of them will grow before our eyes (those of us still watching). I do feel concern about dunn, the kid is clearly athletic but he has troubles scoring, he's like a wide open Dez White dropping a sure TD on a lot of his shots. The thing I notice the most is that Dunn, Valentine and Payne were all considered elite passers, so Garpax..probably more pax seem to put a premium on passing ability over raw scoring ability. They can pass until their legs go numb, but somebody has to be able to make a basket. I am actually looking forward to when they trade or buyout Wade and Lopez and hopefully get some more picks and watch this rebuilding. I watched the Celts rebuilding after they bought their championship and then got rid of their big 3 and it was fun, now they're becoming a good team and just made a really good draft pick, I'm hoping the same for the bulls.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Valentine looked good but this is just a glorified practice. He looked good in some games during the season last year. No way to judge if he improved until he starts against NBA teams.

Makrkanen looked like he knew what he was doing. He seems more athletic than Mirotic and isn't afflicted with that stupid pump fake.

Payne might start looking at teams in Europe, he still didn't look like he was playing hard and if he thinks chucking up shots is going to impress the coaches he a buster in waiting. There was one play they got a steal and he was 1 on 2 so he jacks up and misses a 25 footer. Look for a comfortable chair at the end of the bench.

Dunn is just the opposite, he looked like he understood what a PG is supposed to be doing, he gave the effort on defense. Plus he's got the body of a man who can take the pounding of an NBA season.

Lavine sounded like he could handle the media and if he's allowed to jump now I would think he should be ready to start the season.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Scouting based on summer league doesn't translate to the main league.

Usually I just look for mechanics and not stat-filling skills. Things that are hard to coach for young players, if they're present. Like instinct off the ball, hustle and on which plays, footwork in traffic, on the fly zone defense adjustments, see if they run plays or default to comfort.

One game is too soon. Heck, Summer League is too soon and not a good indicator of much. Some Cam Payne mechanics show promise he could be a starting PG. Dunn was overwhelmed easily. Lauri makes good choices, but had his moments of head scratchers as well.

I agree with you on development. Nash isn't the only example in this league. It's just matter of peaks and if the fans are patient enough to sit through development. Bulls fans are very very impatient, among the least patient in the league. James Johnson is a starter in this league now, but his case is not a good example, because he had to fall on his face a few times.
Good news, if any, a lot of fans are on bandwagon mode again. So people simply aren't going to pay attention to the Bulls, unless it is to criticize. Maybe that big cloud moves away for the innocent guys to get their dev time, instead of getting hate from fans that shouldn't focus it at the players when we know it's a C/P/M-level issue(Chief or Chair* of */President of*/Manager*, not coach/player. Business term.)

Last edited:

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
What did I just read???

B.J. has been an Allstar! An elite shooter.

Payne is Marquis Teague bad! Bulls got f***ed in their *** trading Taj and Doug for him.

oh I thought the trade was ridiculous, and Paxson's guard fetish drives me nuts, but I am holding out hope that Dunn or Payne can become starters, if they swing and miss on both of those guys..not good

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh I thought the trade was ridiculous, and Paxson's guard fetish drives me nuts, but I am holding out hope that Dunn or Payne can become starters, if they swing and miss on both of those guys..not good

Its interesting to me Dunn is a top 5 pick and Josh Hart was considered a borderline first rounder.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Summer league usually doesn't amount to much as even Tony Snell and Doug McDermott lit up the summer league. It can tell you if someone really sucks a la Marquis Teague, but if a player does well it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Side note Tatum from Boston looks pretty good, but who knows how well he'll do in the league right away, especially sharing the same position as Hayward. Perhaps they could somehow play them both together in a small ball type of lineup though as Tatum is showing he does have a post game as well.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Summer league usually doesn't amount to much as even Tony Snell and Doug McDermott lit up the summer league. It can tell you if someone really sucks a la Marquis Teague, but if a player does well it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Side note Tatum from Boston looks pretty good, but who knows how well he'll do in the league right away, especially sharing the same position as Hayward. Perhaps they could somehow play them both together in a small ball type of lineup though as Tatum is showing he does have a post game as well.

this actually worries me, shouldn't a rookie at least be solid in summer league?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
this actually worries me, shouldn't a rookie at least be solid in summer league?
If you want to have hope that said rookie has a hope to be a rotation player, they better be lighting up summer league. If they're only ok, they might be anywhere from Dleague material to a year or two away...it's hard to tell. Imo summer league is more an indication of how bad players are than how good they are. But yes, I would hope drafted players do at least decent in summer league.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's hit or miss if summer league studs work out in the main league. Hit or miss if bad performers actually fail as well. Summer leagues purpose is less for scouting and more for transitioning from NCAA/FIBA rules to NBA rules. Plus the NBA is a business, so this replaces the old rookie showcase or College all-star vs NBA game(s).

Once in a while teams use it to recruit practice squad players (which has been redundant ever since the CBA upped the roster size). Or even recruit D-League players in some cases, a feature the Bulls have been weak with while other teams use it effectively. How many of us wanted to see Andrew Glock get a chance on the Bulls. Henry Sims was a big miss IMO. But whatever, eventually the team will get better at it. My opinion, they'll still be behind other teams that do it better.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Portis dominated summer league last year, and Valentine was clutch.

Dunn/Valentine/Markennen should have a chance to

Valentine reminds me of a running QB. Great in college. The PG. Missing something to be good enough for that position in pro's. Doesn't really have a position and instead of converting to WR he has to convert to SG. But if we wanted a SG we should have taken one because Valentine is a better playmaking passer than shooter.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Nobody talking about this pathetic game today? Wow. 0-10 from 3 for Markkanen. 0-8 from Valentine.

But even that is no indicator of what he will do, how we will end up. Valentine might be settling as well, he shouldn't be slashing after getting scoped anyways, so he gets a pass regardless of how bad he is in SL. It's just an amazing thing to see development players get green lit to do that, while you have an entire team of players trying to get a shot at a contract. I wish our coaches made the adjustments to get the next man up, spin their wheels, and develop off the ball when a player is having a bad shooting night. Those guys could wind up being great projects on the Windy City Bulls or future call ups, and they basically just sign them and are like, okay, glorified pickup game, go!

4 for 35(11%) from 3 in SL or not, I still don't blame the player as much as the coaches. Where are the fundamentals?

It's like a good lifer HS baseball coach friend of mine would tell me. You throw fastballs because it develops your arm. You deviate from that, you significantly increase injury risks and/or develop more bad habits and inconsistencies. Moot maybe, whatever. The point within the point is that if they don't develop fundamentals, you're fucked. You can shoot all the 3s you want, that doesn't space the floor. Dirk spaces the floor because he has other fundamentals, Curry spaces the floor because he is excellent at fundamentals.

All active following Bulls fans are or will be bald soon, because this is nothing but head scratching from now on out.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
DEaTBTIXoAAvgGp.jpg

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I saw all those awful shooting stats from the game and wasn't even surprised.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
you have one roster spot left, you have to chose between Payne and Blakeney, who do you keep, I know who I'm keeing

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Brogdan was shit in summer league and wound up winning rookie of the year, so you never know. Based on what I've seen, I don't think theirs any hope for Payne. He's just trash.

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:
Turns out the first game without Payne is the first game we win.

Coincidence?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks