#54 and "The Lovie Curse"

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I actually agree with Urlacher. I wouldn't call it a curse, but more like karma for how Emery treated Lovie. There is no doubt Emery was looking to fire Lovie and hire is own coach that season. I actually think Emery was happy we missed the playoffs so he could justify firing Lovie. Of course, once we got rid of him, his successor was shit and we haven't sniffed the playoffs.

Either way, I say it is Karma, because we just experienced Failure quicker than we should have. At the time of Lovie's firing the roster was aging and it was only a matter of time before we sucked.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This curse goes way the hell back. It's probably the Buddy Ryan Curse..

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/07/10/cardinals-bruce-arians-bears-interview-quarterbaks-cutler/

Cardinals’ Bruce Arians Reflects On Bears Interview, Evaluates Chicago’s Quarterback Situation

(CBS) Among their many missteps the last decade, none may haunt the Bears quite like letting Bruce Arians leave Halas Hall.

Arians interviewed with the Bears’ brass in January 2013 after general manager Phil Emery elected to fire coach Lovie Smith. Weeks shy of being named NFL Coach of the Year after a successful stint as the Colts’ interim head coach, Arians seemed to be the front-runner for the Bears. Instead, they allowed him to leave and hired Marc Trestman instead.

Trestman was fired after two tumultuous seasons, while Arians has found success with the Cardinals and was named NFL Coach of the Year again in 2014.

“I thought the interview was fantastic,” Arians recalled of his visit with the Bears in an interview with the Mully and Hanley Show on 670 The Score. “I really was waiting for a call to tell me I had the job. Now, every time I look at the Weather Channel, I’m glad I didn’t. Especially in January.”

Arians is 50-25 as an NFL head coach, including 41-22 with the Cardinals. His team has reached the playoff twice in four seasons. Trestman went 13-19 with the Bears and was fired after the 2014 season after losing the locker room in Chicago. He is now coach of the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League.

The Bears are now coached by John Fox, who’s 9-23 in two seasons. The organization has gone 22-42 since passing on Arians in 2013.

Arians now has a book out entitled “The Quarterback Whisperer,” which documents his work as a coach and the details behind his success in developing quarterbacks. If he had coached the Bears, Arians would’ve worked with quarterback Jay Cutler, who retired from football after last season.

Instead, Cutler never fully clicked with Trestman — ultimately being benched by him in the final weeks of the 2014 season — and was released by the regime of Fox and Ryan Pace.

“I really enjoyed my visit with Jay,” Arians said. “We talked for about an hour during my interview. I really liked what he was all about as a guy. I thought he was really anxious to become good again — not that he never was. I thought those pieces were there.”

The Bears now have veteran Mike Glennon as their new starting quarterback, with No. 2 overall draft pick Mitchell Trubisky waiting in the wings.

It will be the task of Fox to sort through Glennon’s position and Trubisky’s development.

“You just coach them both and play the best one,” Arians said. “Coach them both and whichever one takes the lead, let them take the lead until the young one overtakes him — or if (Trubisky) overtakes (Glennon) overall.

“You got to do what’s best for your football team. I have high regards for Mike Glennon and Mitchell. I think they’re really good players. They can fix their room for sure.

“You got a guy who’s capable of leading teams, and (if) the other guy is the superstar you hope he is, it’ll take a little time because of the system change. And you got a chance to win.”

Full audio interview at link

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't the "Lovie curse" be a near total inability to field a functional offense/hire decent OCs while constantly drafting/signing "system guys" for the D?

Reactions: Myk

jsdomino

Liked Posts:
Regardless of whether Urlacher has made these comments, I agree with the fact that the Bears have no identity and won't until they get a couple of guys that are leaders and can be counted on to come through in the clutch. This does not mean that we don't have good players, we have lot's of good players.I just do not see Glennon or Howard in leadership role and they keep shuffling the OL and receivers. On defense McPhee could assume the role if he could stay on the field.The coaching staff is milktoast, so no identity there either.

No one fears the Bears defense, and no one fears the Bears offense. Until they begin to show they can beat anybody anytime they won't have an identity.

I sincerely believe that until Trubinsky steps into his anointed role (and let's pray for good things) the Bears will just be placeholders for the other NFC teams.

Lovie is long gone, for better or for worse. But the Bears are not a better team today than they were under Lovie. Optimism reigns this time of year. But if the Bears go 10-6 in 2017 I will be the most shocked Bear fan around and I have been a Bear fan for 50+ years. I have seen it all.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Regardless of whether Urlacher has made these comments, I agree with the fact that the Bears have no identity and won't until they get a couple of guys that are leaders and can be counted on to come through in the clutch. This does not mean that we don't have good players, we have lot's of good players.I just do not see Glennon or Howard in leadership role and they keep shuffling the OL and receivers. On defense McPhee could assume the role if he could stay on the field.The coaching staff is milktoast, so no identity there either.

No one fears the Bears defense, and no one fears the Bears offense. Until they begin to show they can beat anybody anytime they won't have an identity.

I sincerely believe that until Trubinsky steps into his anointed role (and let's pray for good things) the Bears will just be placeholders for the other NFC teams.

Lovie is long gone, for better or for worse. But the Bears are not a better team today than they were under Lovie. Optimism reigns this time of year. But if the Bears go 10-6 in 2017 I will be the most shocked Bear fan around and I have been a Bear fan for 50+ years. I have seen it all.

I will be shocked if they win more than five games this season. I'm telling you, Pace has made some stupid decisions ut signing Glennon is maybe the worst.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
How can it be a curse if we never won a ring under Love?
Urlacher won an NFC championship ring. Not like championship rings like that haven't been even plot points in well known movies come on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am not ready to indict the Bears' plan simply because Urlacher doesn't understand it.

Why? He's always made great life decisions. Oh wait!

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will be shocked if they win more than five games this season. I'm telling you, Pace has made some stupid decisions ut signing Glennon is maybe the worst.

Why? Because he paid too much? I get the point if that is the case but it isn't as though the Bears were in salary cap hell. It could be that he got Glennon in case he didn't get the QB he wanted and thought Glennon had the most upside versus others available. That isn't stupid. Glennon now is a stop gap guy with some upside. If that upside doesn't show, well, they're going to play Trubs at some point anyway.

Letting AJ go could prove to be stupid (I personally don't think it is but I could very well be wrong), not being more aggressive in FA given their salary cap space may be stupid, too. I think there are a lot of questionable moves but I don't think Glennon is the worst.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...ars-are-suffering-from-the-lovie-smith-curse/

this guy....

"I like to say it's the Lovie Curse -- because since he left, (the Bears have struggled)," Urlacher said. "He got fired being 10-6. I think they fire him either way. Even if we go to the playoffs, I think they fire him. I don't think the GM liked the way he coached the football team. The guy's a winner. I love playing for him. I don't know what the identity of that team is. They sign (Mike) Glennon, then they draft a kid No. 2 -- I don't know what (they're doing). It's confusing."
Urlacher isn't totally wrong. Under Smith (now the coach at Illinois), the Bears won 56.3 percent of their games, went to the postseason three times in nine seasons, and journeyed all the way to the Super Bowl once. Since the Bears fired Smith after a 10-win season in 2012, they've gone 22-42.

The curse is the Ownership and GM's of the past (and perhaps current).....

Kinda old news....but I agree and have been saying this every-time someone starts the " Smith was a bad HC mantra".

The curse is the Ownership

here's the REAL curse. AND.....NEVER having a real NFL Qb

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
After the superbowl, they went to the playoffs once in six years... Lovie's inaugural press conference announcing him the Bears HC, he said his TOP priority was to beat the Packers. That 1 year they made it to the playoffs post SB, they lost to the Packers twice within a few weeks, losing out on a chance to knock them out of the playoffs, then having them knock the Bears out. This was with a dream team coaching staff (Martz/Marinelli/Tice/DeBord/Toub), a supposed pro bowl QB, and a ridiculously talented defense and special teams that had 2 Allpros and 4 probowlers. The rodeo was over after that season.

This was with a dream team coaching staff (Martz/Marinelli/Tice/DeBord/Toub), a supposed pro bowl QB,

all roads lead back to the most important position

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
He is absolutely correct about the quarterback issue. Bringing Glennon in was stupid. It is like Pace loves to create holes unnecessarily. He has done this across the board, particularly with the offense as in letting the best two receivers that they had leave. I have no problem with bringing in Trubisky as a long term solution but I have to say that the quarterback position right now is worse than it has been before and that is saying a lot

So bringing in a mediocre back-up Qb, who hadn't started in 2yrs, paying him starters $$ and drafting a Qb who in his only season posted a 8-5 record (yeah...I get it we meeded a Qb) , puts is in a better situation than in past years

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would love for Urlacher to post on CCS. I could see him creating a thread where he talks about his investment strategies, how awesome his life is, and how many black friends he has.

he has a black son

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm going to start replying to each of Run and Shit's posts separately...

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If getting rid of Lovie was wrong than where is the team that did right by getting him? Bucs would've been the perfect place for him to shine, they weren't slouches on defense.

Do any of the offensive players under Lovie ever sing his praises like defense does? Maybe Cutler will let some stuff slip during his color, "That was definitely a miscommunication between QB and the coaching staff. They really need a microphone in the helmets so the QB can tell the coaches what they want is not going to work. Yeah you heard me, 'Fuck you, Martz!'"

Do any of the offensive players under Lovie ever sing his praises like defense does? 'Fuck you, Martz!' [/QUOTE]

Martz has a SB under his belt Maybe if jay had listened and applied himself....he'd have been a lot further along

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Martz has a SB under his belt Maybe if jay had listened and applied himself....he'd have been a lot further along

Maybe. Or maybe if Martz was able to work with the players he has on the field instead of longing for the good ol' days he would have a few more.

Not sure why you're talking about Martz when what I was talking about was an imaginary Cutler color commentary.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Maybe. Or maybe if Martz was able to work with the players he has on the field instead of longing for the good ol' days he would have a few more.

Not sure why you're talking about Martz when what I was talking about was an imaginary Cutler color commentary.
He did do that... he went to an NFC championship game doing that.

The only players he couldn't do that with were 3rd string QBs, RBs, & WRs which is what he had to use in those late failed 2011 games.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie was worst thing to ever happen to Urlacher

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He did do that... he went to an NFC championship game doing that.

The only players he couldn't do that with were 3rd string QBs, RBs, & WRs which is what he had to use in those late failed 2011 games.

True we had flashes.