#54 and "The Lovie Curse"

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Lovie was worst thing to ever happen to Urlacher
He aided in him becoming defensive player of the year in 05 then got him to a super bowl and another nfc championship game... because Lovie lessened the sack impact of young Urlacher he didn't do shit all worse things for him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Maybe. Or maybe if Martz was able to work with the players he has on the field instead of longing for the good ol' days he would have a few more.

Not sure why you're talking about Martz when what I was talking about was an imaginary Cutler color commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
If getting rid of Lovie was wrong than where is the team that did right by getting him? Bucs would've been the perfect place for him to shine, they weren't slouches on defense.

Do any of the offensive players under Lovie ever sing his praises like defense does? Maybe Cutler will let some stuff slip during his color, "That was definitely a miscommunication between QB and the coaching staff. They really need a microphone in the helmets so the QB can tell the coaches what they want is not going to work. Yeah you heard me, 'Fuck you, Martz!'"

........imaginary Cutler color commentary.

then I wasn't sure where the reality or imaginary began. The reality is jay would be better served not dealing with the past

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
then I wasn't sure where the reality or imaginary began. The reality is jay would be better served not dealing with the past

Most people are better leaving the past in the past, but the meltdowns can be fun for the rest of us to watch.

If Cutler has to be on my TV acting like he knows what's going on in the huddle and ear piece like certain other color guys do I'd like to get a few slips to get a view as to what went on when he was a Bear.

I never really paid enough attention but it does seem during Lovie the defense were the favorites and that reflects back from them to Lovie.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Most people are better leaving the past in the past, but the meltdowns can be fun for the rest of us to watch.

If Cutler has to be on my TV acting like he knows what's going on in the huddle and ear piece like certain other color guys do I'd like to get a few slips to get a view as to what went on when he was a Bear.

it might interesting to find out what's gong on in jays mind away from the game.....cuz he certainly had a tuff time processing the game when the bullets where flying

I never really paid enough attention but it does seem during Lovie the defense were the favorites and that reflects back from them to Lovie.

well the "D" was performing at a high level.

under jay, the "O" almost never performed at a high level. The only thing I would fault Smith 4 is not benching jay

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

under jay, the "O" almost never performed at a high level. The only thing I would fault Smith 4 is not benching jay
For Caleb Hanie?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

After years of Rex is our QB you can ONLY fault Lovie for not benching Cutler?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He aided in him becoming defensive player of the year in 05 then got him to a super bowl and another nfc championship game... because Lovie lessened the sack impact of young Urlacher he didn't do shit all worse things for him.

I would argue Urlacher won that MVP on a built reputation and a great season despite the bad fit to Lovie's defenses. Urlacher is a transcendent player that could excel in any system, but making him one dimensional was not the best. Removing the fatties keeping the guards off him was not the best. Taking a guy whose biggest weakness was getting caught in the wash and moving him into the wash to start the play was not the best.

Playing him injured in a meaningless game agains the Vikings was not the best, and took a year or two off his career from the Vikings and Seahawks games. But Lovie had to win week 17 to keep his job and look competitive, drop us 5 draft picks every year, except in years when a week 17 win would get us to the playoffs.

As bad as our other coaches have been, I have no sympathy for Lovie and do not miss his failures to gameplan or adjust, and his struggles to beat good teams. But man could he whoop the shit out of a cellar team. Just really fuck them, turn them over, and take their ass.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I would argue Urlacher won that MVP on a built reputation and a great season despite the bad fit to Lovie's defenses. Urlacher is a transcendent player that could excel in any system, but making him one dimensional was not the best. Removing the fatties keeping the guards off him was not the best. Taking a guy whose biggest weakness was getting caught in the wash and moving him into the wash to start the play was not the best.

Playing him injured in a meaningless game agains the Vikings was not the best, and took a year or two off his career from the Vikings and Seahawks games. But Lovie had to win week 17 to keep his job and look competitive, drop us 5 draft picks every year, except in years when a week 17 win would get us to the playoffs.

As bad as our other coaches have been, I have no sympathy for Lovie and do not miss his failures to gameplan or adjust, and his struggles to beat good teams. But man could he whoop the shit out of a cellar team. Just really fuck them, turn them over, and take their ass.
That's rather openly biased though.

Urlacher before it was polled as the most overrated player in the league. But that 05 D because if him and other parts of Lovies D made it with him the best defense that year. Urlacher having a great year on a shitty D wouldn't win DPTY award. Having great play around you usually helps that cred... and ya know winning.

01 the team was good for him.. people seem to think that system was still good in 03 for him to keep together yet it really wasn't gonna last.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
That's rather openly biased though.

Urlacher before it was polled as the most overrated player in the league. But that 05 D because if him and other parts of Lovies D made it with him the best defense that year. Urlacher having a great year on a shitty D wouldn't win DPTY award. Having great play around you usually helps that cred... and ya know winning.

01 the team was good for him.. people seem to think that system was still good in 03 for him to keep together yet it really wasn't gonna last.

Urlacher was a freak of nature athlete, had a great intelligence on the field, and had some of the best speed and hands a linebacker has ever had, and I think that helped hide some of the minor flaws that might have existed in his game. Remember him getting trucked by Jerome Bettis in 2005, or getting juked in the open field by Tom Brady on a critical fourth down in 2006, which eventually led to the Patriots winning?

Of course, I say that and he also had that 20+ tackles game against Arizona earlier that year.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Good post. I'd say that Lovie was a decent head coach but had no clue about running an offense nor hiring a man who could organize and run one. It was a shame because they did have a lot of defensive talent on that team as well as very good special teams and one of the best running backs in the game.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lovie was worst thing to ever happen to Urlacher

Yep. When you have a guy with his speed, power and mobility, you don't put him in shackles and limit his ability to make plays. Lovie put 54 in a virtual cage.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Yep. When you have a guy with his speed, power and mobility, you don't put him in shackles and limit his ability to make plays. Lovie put 54 in a virtual cage.
What cage? He was given more space to work with with that speed, power, and mobility in the open range he covered. His Ints, Pass deflections, and the sacks people act like went away actually didn't.

I'm 04-05 and 07 Urlacher still under lovie had more sacks than any year but 2000 & 2001 and with just 9 games I'm 04. 06 he had l none but players feared him cause I remember watching that year over a bunch to see plays like the Vikings qb toss the call up right I'm front of Urlacher to an int.

bearsfootball516

Liked Posts:
What cage? He was given more space to work with with that speed, power, and mobility in the open range he covered. His Ints, Pass deflections, and the sacks people act like went away actually didn't.

I'm 04-05 and 07 Urlacher still under lovie had more sacks than any year but 2000 & 2001 and with just 9 games I'm 04. 06 he had l none but players feared him cause I remember watching that year over a bunch to see plays like the Vikings qb toss the call up right I'm front of Urlacher to an int.

He had that insane interception against the 49ers in 2006 where he tipped the ball up into the air, then caught it with one arm as he was being tackled by a 49ers offensive linemen. Still one of the most ridiculous interceptions I've seen a linebacker make.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Quote Originally Posted by run and shoot View Post

After years of Rex is our QB you can ONLY fault Lovie for not benching Cutler?

Clearly we've always needed a real Qb.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If anyone doesn't think Lovie was in on the decision to acquire Cutler, they are delusional.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Lovie cut his area of the field down after scrapping the twin buddahs who kept the big guys off of him. That, to me, limited his ability to make as many plays.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...ars-are-suffering-from-the-lovie-smith-curse/

"I like to say it's the Lovie Curse -- because since he left, (the Bears have struggled)," Urlacher said. "He got fired being 10-6. I think they fire him either way. Even if we go to the playoffs, I think they fire him. I don't think the GM liked the way he coached the football team. The guy's a winner. I love playing for him. I don't know what the identity of that team is. They sign (Mike) Glennon, then they draft a kid No. 2 -- I don't know what (they're doing). It's confusing."
Urlacher isn't totally wrong. Under Smith (now the coach at Illinois), the Bears won 56.3 percent of their games, went to the postseason three times in nine seasons, and journeyed all the way to the Super Bowl once. Since the Bears fired Smith after a 10-win season in 2012, they've gone 22-42.

Lovie "LaCucaracha" Smith?!? . . . "Hollywood" Urlacher's scalp implants must have started growing the wrong way . . .