#54 and "The Lovie Curse"

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...ars-are-suffering-from-the-lovie-smith-curse/

this guy....

"I like to say it's the Lovie Curse -- because since he left, (the Bears have struggled)," Urlacher said. "He got fired being 10-6. I think they fire him either way. Even if we go to the playoffs, I think they fire him. I don't think the GM liked the way he coached the football team. The guy's a winner. I love playing for him. I don't know what the identity of that team is. They sign (Mike) Glennon, then they draft a kid No. 2 -- I don't know what (they're doing). It's confusing."
Urlacher isn't totally wrong. Under Smith (now the coach at Illinois), the Bears won 56.3 percent of their games, went to the postseason three times in nine seasons, and journeyed all the way to the Super Bowl once. Since the Bears fired Smith after a 10-win season in 2012, they've gone 22-42.

The curse is the Ownership and GM's of the past (and perhaps current).....

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Urlacher was a better football player than he is an analyst. His decline and retirement coincided with Lovie being canned, and he can't see that loss of talent was the bigger reason for the decline since.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Urlacher was a better football player than he is an analyst. His decline and retirement coincided with Lovie being canned, and he can't see that loss of talent was the bigger reason for the decline since.
QFT.... And to piggyback. What's confusing exactly about what the Bears are doing? They signed a FA quarterback to essentially a pay as you go deal, and drafted one the top 2 QBs in the draft to fix the most important position on the team.

Weirdo

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
After the superbowl, they went to the playoffs once in six years... Lovie's inaugural press conference announcing him the Bears HC, he said his TOP priority was to beat the Packers. That 1 year they made it to the playoffs post SB, they lost to the Packers twice within a few weeks, losing out on a chance to knock them out of the playoffs, then having them knock the Bears out. This was with a dream team coaching staff (Martz/Marinelli/Tice/DeBord/Toub), a supposed pro bowl QB, and a ridiculously talented defense and special teams that had 2 Allpros and 4 probowlers. The rodeo was over after that season.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love Urlacher as an analyst. What he says is usually correct. I disagree with him saying what the Bears are doing is "confusing"...the Bears needed Trubisky...but I agree when Urlacher says the Bears don't have an 'identity'. They really don't, which is weird because they've had the same GM/HC combo for two years now.

He is absolutely correct about the quarterback issue. Bringing Glennon in was stupid. It is like Pace loves to create holes unnecessarily. He has done this across the board, particularly with the offense as in letting the best two receivers that they had leave. I have no problem with bringing in Trubisky as a long term solution but I have to say that the quarterback position right now is worse than it has been before and that is saying a lot:(

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is absolutely correct about the quarterback issue. Bringing Glennon in was stupid. It is like Pace loves to create holes unnecessarily. He has done this across the board, particularly with the offense as in letting the best two receivers that they had leave. I have no problem with bringing in Trubisky as a long term solution but I have to say that the quarterback position right now is worse than it has been before and that is saying a lot:(

:oprah:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Right..... Pace loves to create holes. That's what GMs crave. Letting Marshall go is basically what 3 other GMs did too, so Pace isn't exactly unique. I think he tried to keep AJ but just got worn down by his demands, he (apparently) thought his asking price was too high, and AJ turns around and signs a 1 year "prove it" deal. The problem for the Eagles is that AJ proved he was outstanding but he also excelled in missing games, too. The bigger part, to me, about losing AJ is the Bears seem to have issues re-signing the occasional draft pick they wanted and/or needed to keep.

I certainly don't think the QB problem is any worse than it was last year. I'm not sure how last year's QB dumpster fire is better than Glennon-Trubisky-Sanchez. To be clear, I'm not praising either QB corps.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I love Urlacher as an analyst. What he says is usually correct. I disagree with him saying what the Bears are doing is "confusing"...the Bears needed Trubisky...but I agree when Urlacher says the Bears don't have an 'identity'. They really don't, which is weird because they've had the same GM/HC combo for two years now.

I agree with the identity part, but I feel that has more to do with the talent on the team than the coaching, but that is an old argument which is tough to settle. (Trestman regime aside).

My point was a lot of talent, especially defensive, went out the door when Lovie did, or shortly after. Urlacher either doesn't see that, or he was fishing for a post like my prior one (not serious).

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
if by cursed he means "the Emery shit show"....then I agree.....Pace has cleaned out the Emery players and this is truly Pace's team......the arrow better go up quickly.....

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Some of these comments make me seriously question the posters on this message board.

The Bears got rid of Cutler, whose time had passed in Chicago.

Then he got the best FA QB available, and the best QB available in the draft.

And yet, some people continue to bitch about how Pace addressed the QB position.

Absent genetically engineering a Tom Brady clone in one offseason, Pace did the very best he could to improve the QB situation.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Sorry, don't get this. How exactly is it worse than it has been before? When exactly have the Bear's had a settled QB position that is better than it is today in the past 3 decades? I'm by no means saying that this roster will be better than any others, just saying it's an unknown and our past QB rosters have been shit.

I also keep reading arguments on both sides of the Ryan Pace QB acquisition debate. One argument is that Pace spent too much to get Glennon and that if he wanted to get Trubisky, he should have just done nothing or sign Hoyer, and then gotten Trubisky at the 3rd pick because he would have been there without a doubt. Then there is the argument that Pace took Glennon as a smoke screen so that he could grab Trubisky.

Perhaps the truth is a combination of the two. Pace overspent to get Glennon (not sure that there is an excuse for that), because he needed someone with a bit of upside to replace Cutler, but knowing that the fan base and ownership would not be content with just Glennon, and knowing that a Glennon strikeout would cost Pace his job, he decided he needed a QB in the draft. We do not know what would have changed had the Bears not taken Glennon, perhaps teams such as Cleveland would have considered us a threat and offered SF significantly more to move into the 2nd pick, perhaps they take him with the first pick, perhaps another team moves ahead of us because QB would have been our most glaring need.

So while Pace may not have picked up Glennon specifically to get Trubisky, the addition of Glennon did hide our desire to add a qb at the top of the draft. How else do you explain the confusion of team executives, analysts and fans? He spent a little more than necessary to get Trubisky too....just goes to show that he is willing to do what is necessary, and perhaps a bit unnecessary to try and fix the Chicago Bear's longest running issue, the QB position. Not sure why fans aren't elated that there is a chance we could fix the position.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
My issue with Pace/Marshall is Pace's actions following Marshall's departure. 3 years after the Broncos got rid of Marshall, they have a WR combo of Thomas-Decker who both put up 1000+ yards and 12+ TDs. 3 years after Pace gets rid of Marshall, the Bears have Cam Meredith as their #1 WR.

this......I had no problem with Pace jettisoning people he did not want, but if you do that you better fucking replace them and get the team better....this has not occurred at the WR position

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If getting rid of Lovie was wrong than where is the team that did right by getting him? Bucs would've been the perfect place for him to shine, they weren't slouches on defense.

Do any of the offensive players under Lovie ever sing his praises like defense does? Maybe Cutler will let some stuff slip during his color, "That was definitely a miscommunication between QB and the coaching staff. They really need a microphone in the helmets so the QB can tell the coaches what they want is not going to work. Yeah you heard me, 'Fuck you, Martz!'"

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
this......I had no problem with Pace jettisoning people he did not want, but if you do that you better fucking replace them and get the team better....this has not occurred at the WR position
Except White was supposed to replace Marshell, and it is injuries that have said otherwise. At that time Jeffery was supposed to be the next big thing at WR. It is to bad that he also had injury problems and as you could tell from his play last year he did not want to be here.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Urlacher grew up without a father, Lovie was his daddy.