Schwarber Returns

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Don't know how much 11 games helped him figure it out...

Not sure why they just couldn't give him the weekend and then just start fresh with him and the whole team after the break.

It'll be interesting to see now who gets sent down of guys who seen increase PT with him gone and who loses PT with him back..

Jay Almora Happ Zobrist LaStella Baez Russell

1 gonna get sent down and 1 or 2 of these guys are going to lose PT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Don't know how much 11 games helped him figure it out...

Not sure why they just couldn't give him the weekend and then just start fresh with him and the whole team after the break.

It'll be interesting to see now who gets sent down of guys who seen increase PT with him gone and who loses PT with him back..

Jay Almora Happ Zobrist LaStella Baez Russell

1 gonna get sent down and 1 or 2 of these guys are going to lose PT

He's hitting .333/.463/.697 in AAA. What's giving him the weekend going to do? Also, I read that the cubs don't face a lefty for quite some time. If you're going to give him an advantageous time to come back it would be now.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Also for what it's worth, Schwarber's AAA stint in 2015 he hit .333/.403/.633 with a bb/k rate of 10.4%/34.3% over 67 PAs. So, if they were willing to promote him then it's not that surprising they bring him back after hitting .333/.463/.697 with a bb/k rate of 17.1%/26.8% over 41 PAs. He's objectively better in every case save for batting average which is the same.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They don't believe his ACL is 100% yet. The plan was not catching him this year except for emergency situations. Next year is another situation.

In the minors Schwarber and Contreras played together. They would switch back and forth between LF and catcher. That may happen again with pitchers personal catchers. At that point they could add a bench guy that can catch in a pinch.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On Schwarber returning. Honestly I'm worried that Joe will again push him into leading off before seeing if his work matters or not. I still believe that he was getting beat by the shift and kept hitting into it. The only time he beat it was by hitting it over the wall. His BABIP supports this.

He still SO in AAA. But I believe the only difference was no shifts. If that is the case nothing changes.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The problem with playing Schwarber as a C is you don't really want him there with Lester and Arrieta on the mound. When Hendricks returns he wouldn't be bad to match up with Schwarber as he's already quite good at limiting the run game. Haven't looked into that with Montgomery(assume he'd be decent as a LHP) and Butler.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The corresponding move, at least for today, appears to be Lackey to the DL.

He has a plantar fasciitis on his right foot. That has been a issue for a while. That is the reason why they pushed up Jon's start

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He has a plantar fasciitis on his right foot. That has been a issue for a while. That is the reason why they pushed up Jon's start

Yeah, he talked about in the post game yesterday. They'll reset the rotation after the break hopefully with Hendricks in it.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, he talked about in the post game yesterday. They'll reset the rotation after the break hopefully with Hendricks in it.

I hope John goes extended DL. If it is a major issue get it fixed

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Well, let's see if Schwarber fixed things.

czman

Liked Posts:
I don't think move makes much sense. Schwarber was the worst player on the roster when he was up and one of the worst players in baseball. He was bad defensively and had a wRC+ of 78. There is no one he should be starting over. The Cubs already have a log jam now that Zobrist and Heyward are back. Happ deserves to play everyday.

When Lackey comes back someone has to go down. It will probably be Lestalla now that Happ can play 2B too. Lestella is probably more suited to the PH role. Players should not be called up because they are the GMs pet. Not on a team trying to make the playoffs.

Lastly, what if Schwarber is awful again? Then what? They should have left him in AAA till the last possible point to be playoff eligible and then played him sparingly to see where he is at. It is far more likely that he will continue to struggle then he suddenly turns it around.

The Cubs are not making good decisions this season. I think they have fallen into the trap of thinking they are the smartest people ion the league and that they can do no wrong. This is a bad move. The risk reward is not reasonable to make this move. Just a really bad bet.

We will see if it pays off. I hope it does. My guess is that it will not.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I heard that as well. Don't know if any of you have had Plantar Fasciitis....I have and its painful as hell. I don't care if it's his push off foot or his plant foot, I guarantee every pitch he threw was a test in pain. Explains a lot on why his command was off.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
He's hitting .333/.463/.697 in AAA. What's giving him the weekend going to do? Also, I read that the cubs don't face a lefty for quite some time. If you're going to give him an advantageous time to come back it would be now.
Point is..

Cubs have 4 games left then a week break..

Why not just leave him down for the week and let him play everyday and get more work in over playing a couple games then sitting all next week..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I heard that as well. Don't know if any of you have had Plantar Fasciitis....I have and its painful as hell. I don't care if it's his push off foot or his plant foot, I guarantee every pitch he threw was a test in pain. Explains a lot on why his command was off.

What it sounds like the method is rest. There is some rehab but it is really not proven methods. Think they said sonic vibration treatment. Most likely just rest and keep off his feet for a few weeks. Could end up a month. Honestly with Kyle coming back it is low impact.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The problem with playing Schwarber as a C is you don't really want him there with Lester and Arrieta on the mound. When Hendricks returns he wouldn't be bad to match up with Schwarber as he's already quite good at limiting the run game. Haven't looked into that with Montgomery(assume he'd be decent as a LHP) and Butler.

What I recall is Kyle had soft hands at the dish. I'm thinking he could end up a better framer. But vs running teams you want Wilson.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I hope they got Schwarber to run faster while at Iowa.