IST: Cubs vs Brewers (Make Up Game)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cubs-vs_-Brewers.gif

7/6 1:20 PM CDT

Davies (9-4, 5.03 ERA) vs Montgomery (1-5, 2.80 ERA)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So Russell today casualty of bringing Schwarber back as he grabs the bench..

I'm starting to feel there a trade coming before the 2nd half starts....

Almora
Jay

Zobrist
Happ

Baez
Russell

LaStella

They have 6 guys for 3 positions ( CF 2B SS), all who could start..

LaStella on bench with Caratini..

Don't think Maddon carried 5 on bench all year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers tweeted that this is the 30th game in which the Cubs trailed after the 1st inning, the most in baseball.

No surprise...it certainly feels like they've given up a ton of runs in the 1st!

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Surprise...
Schwarber Ks..

Hey it took 8 pitches though

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jesse Rogers tweeted that this is the 30th game in which the Cubs trailed after the 1st inning, the most in baseball.

No surprise...it certainly feels like they've given up a ton of runs in the 1st!

Seems like last year it was the other way around. Fowler was always starting something.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
One team has da fire. Another team is just going through the motions. Too bad we are the later.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Meh thinks the Montgomery starting gig has run it's course

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been in denial that the Brewers are actually better than the Cubs...today is really making me think.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been in denial that the Brewers are actually better than the Cubs...today is really making me think.

Not sure they are better but they are hungrier than the Cubs. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to repeat. You win and you just expect to win again....you lose the hunger you had trying to climb the mountain.

Dr. Manhattan

Liked Posts:
Drove 4 hours to watch this shit show.. jon jay was the highlight.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Drove 4 hours to watch this shit show.. jon jay was the highlight.
That shit show had a highlight? The Brewers owning those highlights.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
No way we make the playoffs. Over half way done and they haven't improved at all. Same shit every game. Shitty pitching and no offense.

Maybe we can just hope to be like the Giants and win every even number year. Odd years are for the AL.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
No way we make the playoffs. Over half way done and they haven't improved at all. Same shit every game. Shitty pitching and no offense.

Maybe we can just hope to be like the Giants and win every even number year. Odd years are for the AL.

I mean you can believe what you want but the team isn't *that* bad. They are 17th in runs scored and 9th in runs against. We can debate the merits of them actually improving but to sit here today and say they can't is a bit silly. They almost certainly need another starter but we've known that for awhile. And their offense needs far more consistency but I think part of that is the fact they rarely have had their opening day line up out there.

This team certainly isn't going to be as good as the 2016 team. However the 2015 team that won 97 games was only 5 up headed into july and only 7 up on july 6th. The 2017 team is 1 down. So, even if they only play as well as the 2015 team in the second half you're still talking about 88-90ish wins. That may not occur but to sit here and say they are absolutely done is silly. They are 4.5 back with the ammo to add a player(s) at the deadline. And obviously they should have all the bats they need. Fowler and ross are all that's missing from the 2016 team and for what it's worth, Happ/Jay/Almora have done admirably filling in CF. Their bullpen is dramatically better than 2016 especially if they can move Montgomery back to the pen presumably after a starter gets dealt to them.

Ultimately I think the hitting comes around. There's just too much talent out there to hit this inconsistent. My only real question is where's the pitching going to come from? Right now neither Arrieta nor Lester are really pitching like that game 1 starter you would want in the playoffs. Hendricks prior to the DL wasn't really either though he was showing some signs of improvement. And Lackey may just be done. They really need to trade for someone who you can just go out there and ride to a win but I'm not sure that player is out there. Even Gray looks more in that Lester/Arrieta type range.

I'm honestly sort of glad Davis is the only cub who made the all star game. That will give most of the team a few days to just sit down and come back fresh. This isn't the first time we have seen something like that either. People likely forget now but 2015 Fowler was a .232/.308/.369 hitter in the 1st half. He hit .272/.389/.463 in the second half. And there's certainly other examples of this in the past couple of years.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I stand by my 80-84 wins prediction i gave a few weeks ago .

I also said they'll be at least 5 out at break..

All year I've said Schwarber just might not be the guy we all hoped he'd become...