Laptop

AussieBear

He's a "consumer" (and on the unexperienced side at that).. he's not going to be swapping out hardware.

You're being foolish. Rebuilding laptops is so rarely useful anyways. Ride it into the dirt and buy a new one when necessary.

Save the rebuilding and upgrading for the desktops, where it's actually practical to do so.

gus seems like an inteelgantz perp./. juss giving him da benefit of da doubt.. youtube would school him on breaking down laptops..

so instead of buying a 15 dolla replacement keyboard and installing that, i should have bought another 500 dolla laptop?? now if kid didnt take those keys god knows where i would have just popped them back in. adding 20 dolla battery and at the time a 50 dolla ram upgrade.. well minus 25 for selling the old ram.. 60 dolla for a working well functioning laptop or 500 for a similar one wiff dat new smell and polish.. im just cheap mane.. for the most part.. i aint changing..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'd quit with the refurb agenda here. We know Prope well enough to know he isn't a techie(and he has even made that clear in this thread a few times), and at this point and time I don't have any reason to believe he wants to be any more of one than he needs to be. Set it and forget it. IMO, that's fine. When someone wants to take the next step, they usually ask.

There's a point and time where persuading someone to take on a project is useful, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

AussieBear

I'd quit with the refurb agenda here. We know Prope well enough to know he isn't a techie(and he has even made that clear in this thread a few times), and at this point and time I don't have any reason to believe he wants to be any more of one than he needs to be. Set it and forget it. IMO, that's fine. When someone wants to take the next step, they usually ask.

There's a point and time where persuading someone to take on a project is useful, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

no one is telling gus to buy a broken laptop to refurb. i had suggested buying an already refurbished i5/i7. perhaps buying an i3 as you had said....and ultimately suggested he just get a 7th gen i7 since i saw his budget would allow it. you recommended he buy extra sticks of ram, well imo, if you can replace ram in a laptop, you can replace basically any bolt on part..

a step or two more and a few more screws.. thats a keyboard, new screen, mobo replaced.. as far as battery replacement.. take out put new one in?!?!? i dont expect him to pull apart an old battery and install new cells... though that's not that difficult either...

gl on da new pc