Laptop

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I bought this one a couple months ago and absolutely love it. It has a 13" display and it looks great. Super lightweight, long battery life, and incredibly fast. It boots up in just a few seconds. Watching videos on it is awesome. The only drawback is that is has small storage (256GB), but that's not an issue for me b/c I just save word documents with it. HP is known for bloatware, but this one just had McAfee on it, and the first thing I did was delete it.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-13-ab016nr-Notebook-i5-7200U-Windows/dp/B01LZKY7RB/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1499480120&sr=1-2&keywords=hp+envy+13

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
your coming from an engineer's perspective.. vs me consumer grade mind

There's no difference. The rest of your post is fabricated on a difference that doesn't exist.

AussieBear

There's no difference. The rest of your post is fabricated on a difference that doesn't exist.

ptp does exist.. old i7 laptops can be had for 100 dollaish.. newer i3 350-5 hundoish..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
youre coming from an engineer's perspective.. vs me consumer grade mind.. i aint caring and trying to match power etc to makes it a fair tess... just comparing a mobile i3 of today vs old gen mobile i7 which be 4% better on da bench. you could probably get one dem old i7 laptops for 100 bucks or less.. so ptp.. is it even close... however i did suggest he getz a 7th gen i7... 600 dolla.. high cost.. but meh.. its a laptop.. would work and last 5-10 yrs..

as a consumer.. not really impressed by cpu evolution da last 7 yrs.. dey be lazy peeps... be like buying madden every year.. a slight roster update for years... thats what it seems like from my end.. hopefully amd/intel will push each other for some great gains the next 7.. cause me slightly interested as a consumer now..

Did you even read the post :)

I linked to the laptop i3. What makes some of this confusing, is Intel replaced part of the Atom line with the low power Core line. So essentially, what Intel sells as an i5 7200U, would have been a mid-range Atom CPU 4 years ago. Instead, they kept the Atom line for even lower power consumption CPUs. So the i3 7100H is the correct comparison.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
ptp does exist.. old i7 laptops can be had for 100 dollaish.. newer i3 350-5 hundoish..

With an IPS display? Will the user need to replace the battery(not a cheap part) sooner than later? Lot more factors are at play than initial price.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I don't think you quite understand what's being discussed here.

I'm totally in the "bang for your buck" crowd when concerning laptops, especially considering Prope's uses for it. But that doesn't change the fact that you just don't know what you're talking about here.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
What are you coming from, spec-wise? So you're not missing anything.
Let's pretend that I'm no longer really sure, because I bought it in 2009. To be on the safe side, we should also probably pretend that my knowledge on things like this is very limited.

AussieBear

With an IPS display? Will the user need to replace the battery(not a cheap part) sooner than later? Lot more factors are at play than initial price.

thats a fair point.. but old laptop batteries be cheap now..well i guess depending on the model..i know me toshiba be 20 aussie dolla for a new one.. roughly the same price as rebuilding it meself..

i aint trying to argue.. i agree new tech is better in da long run.. but dont discredit all da old shit juss yet... especially if u juss be wanting to use it to present powerpoints and shat..

AussieBear

I don't think you quite understand what's being discussed here.

I'm totally in the "bang for your buck" crowd when concerning laptops, especially considering Prope's uses for it. But that doesn't change the fact that you just don't know what you're talking about here.

so an old i7 cant be pushing out powerpoint presentations?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Let's pretend that I'm no longer really sure, because I bought it in 2009. To be on the safe side, we should also probably pretend that my knowledge on things like this is very limited.

Okie doke, what I linked to would be a nice upgrade. Faster laptops exist, but bang for the buck + convenience + battery life, the Flex 4 is very hard to beat. You can even get the i7 model , but Amazon doesn't sell that with 16gb, so you would need to DIY that upgrade. Heck, you could even wait a little bit and buy a 16gb stick or two, max it out at 32. That's not something that needs to be done right away.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
thats a fair point.. but old laptop batteries be cheap now..well i guess depending on the model..i know me toshiba be 20 aussie dolla for a new one.. roughly the same price as rebuilding it meself..

i aint trying to argue.. i agree new tech is better in da long run.. but dont discredit all da old shit juss yet... especially if u juss be wanting to use it to present powerpoints and shat..

It doesn't get discarded. We send our old garbage to Africa. Then they realize food is more important and sell it to Australians.

AussieBear

For how long?

until it dies..or until he be forced out with unsupported os/software..... but new puters die too.. as long as he be backing up externally he should be alright eh..

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Okie doke, what I linked to would be a nice upgrade. Faster laptops exist, but bang for the buck + convenience + battery life, the Flex 4 is very hard to beat. You can even get the i7 model , but Amazon doesn't sell that with 16gb, so you would need to DIY that upgrade. Heck, you could even wait a little bit and buy a 16gb stick or two, max it out at 32. That's not something that needs to be done right away.

Sounds good man. Thanks for the recommendation.

AussieBear

It doesn't get discarded. We send our old garbage to Africa. Then they realize food is more important and sell it to Australians.

we gotz all the new shiny shat too.. we juss pay a premium.. wish we had mo junk though.. would be betta deals.. almost bought a hp z420 wiff another old xeon (E5-1660 v2) a couple days ago fo 3 hundo... but fucks wouldnt ship it.. pick up only..

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Remember how people used to text message before having full qwerty keyboards on their phone?

U had 2 read dat slow cuz ppl be savn times and sht

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
until it dies..or until he be forced out with unsupported os/software..... but new puters die too.. as long as he be backing up externally he should be alright eh..

He's a "consumer" (and on the unexperienced side at that).. he's not going to be swapping out hardware.

You're being foolish. Rebuilding laptops is so rarely useful anyways. Ride it into the dirt and buy a new one when necessary.

Save the rebuilding and upgrading for the desktops, where it's actually practical to do so.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Sounds good man. Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem. Look it over and if anything is missing or you have a better idea from there, just say so (if you still want some help). I'm sure a handful of people here can give you great advice on where to go from there.

Last edited:

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No problem. Look it over and if anything is missing or you have a better idea from there, just say so (if you still want some help). I'm sure a handful of people here can give you great advise on where to go from there.

Advice*