IST: Cubs vs Pirates

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Tossing him to the dogs with Cartiani behind the dish. Yep get him a look at with the 6th starter.

What is wrong with this? He was the closest to working with Cart down in AAA. Maybe it will help. They know each other.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Really? So the time from Apr means more than what happened after. Really?

Reality it is 2 guys that have little exp in the league's hitters. There is not a vet guiding a not established pitcher along or vice versa.

It's cool though. He got 4 in. Not pretty but effective

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Did I miss something?
Why is Maddon going with his set up man Edwards in the 5th inning and for 2 innings.. (using him up for possibly needing him Saturday)..

Is Maddon desperately looking for a W and pressing here early

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
WTF at the first pitch strike to Heyward and the "double play". Great umpires.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So, Maddon uses up his setup man in 5th inning of a 3 run game..
Then his closer in 5 run game

Hope their not needed tomorrow

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I can understand the 5th inning, that was the real save. But this Davis shit just has to stop. So what if he warms up, fucking let him take a shower.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Jay has been better than expected

I get it. The players have been under achieving their career norms. It is frustrating to watch. Jay for the most part has been better than expected.

Bryant was the game today. He has the ability to put the team on his back. That performance is needed

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So this is interesting... Baltimore failed to sign their 4th round pick Jack Conlon. He's a 6'4 220 lb RHP who mlb.com has rated the #175 prospect in the previous draft. BA had him as #239. What's interesting is MLB has made him a true FA meaning any team can now sign him and it wont hit their draft budget. So, for a million or two dollars you can essentially buy a draft pick. I'd expect the cubs to get involved in this given they can't go crazy on IFAs and given their need for pitching in general.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Jay has been better than expected

I get it. The players have been under achieving their career norms. It is frustrating to watch. Jay for the most part has been better than expected.

Bryant was the game today. He has the ability to put the team on his back. That performance is needed
Yes I get Jon Jay been a bench player the last couple seasons...

My point is, cubs are a struggling 500 team that has fallen 5 GB, has an up and down offense with lots of struggling players and no stable lead off hitter.

Jon Jay for what it worth is having a very good year and is being productive...
.305 Avg. .384 OBP. .791 OPS
Why not take advantage of that and start him,and let him lead off..

instead Maddon keeps playing his guy in Zobrist who struggling big and has a foot out the retirement door..
.218 Avg. .312 OBP. .686 OPS

playing a kid everyday in Schwarber who been struggling in regular season play since after his hot start in 2015 and looks lost at the plate this year..
.170 Avg. .294 OBP .669 OPS

This team might just need a good stretch of 10 to 20 games to get them going, why not just start the best lineup everyday and see where it takes them, over shuffling guys in and out and putting the 2 worse hitters on team this season out there as much as possible...

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Players will tend to end up close to their career avg's. Zo has been injured this year along with Russell. Schwarber they are going on potential and are letting him adjust.

End of the day it is 1 season. If these problems continue then they address in the winter meetings

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Anyways Jay has been getting playing time

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Anyways Jay has been getting playing time
Jay got extended PT cause Schwarber got sent to minors and both Zobrist and Heyward were Hurt..

He stepped up and continued to produce in their absent..
Now their all back and watch we will see both Schwarber and Zobrist continue to start in more games ahead of Jay..

Almora been held back ( though I think lately it more because he probably being dangled as a trade chip)..

My guess barring trades were going to see..

Schwarber in LF with Zobrist and Happ getting occasional starts there..

Happ with occasional starts from Jay/Almora in CF.

Rotation between Zobrist Baez and Russell in MI with Happ getting occasional starts at 2B

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Crying, bitching and moaning will not change a thing....it's a game, nothing more. People need to enjoy it for what it is and not what they want it to be.

Harry-Caray-Quotes-5.jpg

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see it as Joe wants s Zo in the lead off. Zo has been injured off and on preventing his starts.

I believe the Schwarber experiment is over for now. He should hit #5 where his HR power plays up more with OBA ahead of him.

As long as these guys produce I don't see much change. Yesterday Schwarber did a quiet 1-3 with a BB no SO. If that becomes a pattern it quiets the nay-sayers

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I see it as Joe wants s Zo in the lead off. Zo has been injured off and on preventing his starts.

I believe the Schwarber experiment is over for now. He should hit #5 where his HR power plays up more with OBA ahead of him.

As long as these guys produce I don't see much change. Yesterday Schwarber did a quiet 1-3 with a BB no SO. If that becomes a pattern it quiets the nay-sayers
Better hope those 2 turn it around quickly if their the new no1 and 5 guys now..

Leadoff guy needs to set table for Bryant Rizzo to knock him in..

Schwarber should be up there with plenty of opportunities to drive in runs with Bryant Rizzo and Happ ahead of him..

I have confidence the offense can turn it around in 2nd half, too many good hitters..

The rotation as is, very low confidence in..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The rotation as is, very low confidence in..

If Hendricks comes back close to his career norms it'll be a big boost. Lester is probably the best and most consistent guy right now. Arrieta can be brilliant or pretty not great. Lackey outside of getting shelled in washington hasn't been that bad his past 5 starts. 6 ip 3 ER, 5.1 8 ER(Was), 6 ip 1 ER, 6 ip 1 ER, and 5 IP 4 ER. I mean that's not like top of the rotation good but as a #4/5 type starter you can live with that outside of the washington start. The problem as I see it right now with the rotation is ideally you'd only be getting 1 start out of Montgomery/Lackey/Butler with the other 2 being depth. But as is right now all 3 are starting right now because they have Hendricks hurt and obviously haven't moved in on another starter trade wise as of yet.

Assuming they find a trade target, I think you can ride this group to the playoffs. I'm not 100% sure how they will look in the playoffs. At the moment they would seem fairly weak matched up against other teams but Hendricks could always return closer to 2016 than his career norms and Arrieta could find some consistency.