Quintana a Cub

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That was shocking.

Sox now have 4 pitchers in the top 100. silly.

But the Cubs now have a legit 1 and 2. You almost want to slot a RH between them looking ahead.

What I can say it puts them into the fav team to win the central now. Brews were looking at Q also and the Cubs pulled the rug under them.

Now on Cease: Highest top end of the starters. No way to look at it other wise. He has Doc Gooden stuff. Harsh loss but the Cubs know how to draft and aquire talent. There will be other guys like that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the Cubs have the pieces to get him, however, it's going to take more than Russell or Baez. You're talking about removing a piece from the core and I don't see the Cubs moving Bryant, Rizzo. It would be something like Happ and Contreras and I'm not sure that's wise for the Cubs.
I was just thinking about that..

They really have nothing left of high value in their system ..

So yea any major trade at deadline for another starter will involve someone off 25 man plus Candelerio or someone or two on that level..
Maybe they can nab Sonny Gray for lower level guys..

Also..

not sure how highly touted their lower level guy are but thinking about it , cubs may not have any top 50 or 100 prospects next year..

So, a couple things here..
We may not see any more major trades this deadline or in Off season (unless a 25 man guy gets moved) and it's going to be succeed or bust with the kids they have up now because there noone close to ready in system to replace them..

Theo and company are going to have to roll up their sleeves and figure out how to restock the system again with hitters..
Might see some future minor league deals happening, trading arms for bats..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was just thinking about that..

They really have nothing left of high value in their system ..

So yea any major trade at deadline for another starter will involve someone off 25 man plus Candelerio or someone or two on that level..
Maybe they can nab Sonny Gray for lower level guys..

Also..

not sure how highly touted their lower level guy are but thinking about it , cubs may not have any top 50 or 100 prospects next year..

So, a couple things here..
We may not see any more major trades this deadline or in Off season (unless a 25 man guy gets moved) and it's going to be succeed or bust with the kids they have up now because there noone close to ready in system to replace them..

Theo and company are going to have to roll up their sleeves and figure out how to restock the system again with hitters..
Might see some future minor league deals happening, trading arms for bats..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They have some pieces left but they are not as highly valued. Candy is a toss in. Tseng should be a ML starter. More of a 4-5 type but he most likely ends up as a good player. Alozay has MoR type of stuff. He is another guy to hold onto.

I almost felt that Theo and Jed were looking at Tseng and Alzlay and were thinking these 2 guys have a strong shot at being in the rotation within 2 years. Cease has a hard time getting 6 innings in and you never know if his durability will become a issue. So it might be better to deal for a sure thing vs gamble on a higher risk development.

Sox got Eloy. Cease was just the frosting. They have 3 other guys with the same type of impact so you have more guys like that it improves the odds that 1-2 pan out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So a guy who is top 12 in WAR since 2012 is not a #1? Ok, you're just bad at baseball then.

1 is debatable. I think of him as equal to Lester. Both have the numbers to be #1's but neither can just turn off a line up like MadBum or Sale have done. That said those 2 are 1A. Both are suited to be the 2nd fiddler. Still that value is really high right now.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1 is debatable. I think of him as equal to Lester. Both have the numbers to be #1's but neither can just turn off a line up like MadBum or Sale have done. That said those 2 are 1A. Both are suited to be the 2nd fiddler. Still that value is really high right now.

I agree outside of one thing. You are arguing elite vs #1 aces. I think there is a pretty large difference. Q is an ace. He can be the leader of a staff. Is he on the HOF track? Nope. But that's elite.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Frankly this was more shocking than the trade:

sammy-sosa.jpg

:eek:hmy:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree outside of one thing. You are arguing elite vs #1 aces. I think there is a pretty large difference. Q is an ace. He can be the leader of a staff. Is he on the HOF track? Nope. But that's elite.

Interesting point....there are what, 30 #1 aces in MLB. Forget about HOFers. How many of them are actually really good pitchers? That is the reason pitchers that are good are so damn hard to acquire.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
wow, hard to believe the price went down so much.

Dust off your Bobby Howry jerseys folks. Gotta think he goes 3rd now so they keep him and lester apart.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Interesting point....there are what, 30 #1 aces in MLB. Forget about HOFers. How many of them are actually really good pitchers? That is the reason pitchers that are good are so damn hard to acquire.

I'd say that there are about 15-20 true #1s out there.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Can't believe they traded Eloy... I don't know if this is much of a season changer though. I don't follow the White Sox...

We need more pieces unless Q can also hit with RISP....

SiDe WaYs

Liked Posts:
Can't believe they traded Eloy... I don't know if this is much of a season changer though. I don't follow the White Sox...

We need more pieces unless Q can also hit with RISP....

Because Eloy was hitting with RISP in the majors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Because Eloy was hitting with RISP in the majors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I meant that as aside from our shitty pitching, the offense is bad, too. And Q doesn't appear to be some great pitcher either. So I don't see how this changes our season.
We need more. As for Eloy, he was just a potential stud that we no longer have.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Since 2013 Quintana is a top 8 WAR pitcher. People saying this is no big deal is idiotic, not gonna sugar coat that, please stop visiting this page. And that was in the AL.

We gave up players in single A, guys who haven't done a damn thing in the bigs.

I hope and think this could have a domino effect on the rotation. Pitchers tend to compete against each others outings when things are going well. Hope that magic takes effect.

We got a stud guys, we should be happy and estatic.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Honestly this isn't even that expensive. I mean good for the white sox getting a decent return and all but the reality is you're giving up Eloy and Cease and 2 parts that absolutely don't matter in Rose and Flete. Flete is a 24 year old MI in A+. Best case is he ends up a utility bench guy. Rose is a bit more interesting but not much. He's 22 also in A+ but he's hitting .227/.281/.481.

As for Eloy i mean any trade for a pitcher of quality was going to cost Eloy. That's just how it was gonna be. And while Eloy is a good prospect, he's simply was never a better prospect than Schwarber and he's only a LFer. I think cubs fans overrated him to begin with. He'll likely be a very good bat with premium power in LF which is something clearly the sox needed but it's not like he was Mike Trout who also gave you amazing defense in CF. He's your fairly typical LF slugger and you can find those in the draft even later in drafts.

Cease to me is the biggest hurt in the deal but even him isn't that painful. For one thing, Q essentially replaces Cease by swapping a younger guy for a guy with control who's already at the majors. But it's not like Cease was a lock to be a work horse in a rotation. Some still think he ends up in a bullpen at which point his value is diminished.

Overall I don't think the sox did bad with this trade but it's no where near the haul they got out of Eaton and Sale. I think it's a pretty fair trade to be honest. Obviously the Astros must have scoffed at giving up both Martes and Tucker who I think are probably a better return. And the Yankees obviously must have scoffed at giving up Frazier.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Great trade for the Cubbies, I can't see it any other way.

Next order of business: trade Schwarbs quickly, I understand not wanting to sell low, but while his trade value today is not close to where it was a year ago, it may very well slide further. I defer to the insiders here that have far greater baseball knowledge then me, but IMO he's the most over-hyped piece on the team by far.