Close
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Amd releases threadripper prices

http://www.pcworld.com/article/32077...ease-date.html

AMD Threadripper prices undercut Intel's Core i9 by as much as $1,000

AMD has revealed the prices for some of its Threadripper CPUs, using the same effective strategy that it executed for its mainstream Ryzen chips: set eye-popping discounts compared to Intel’s own Core i9 family, and probably earlier release dates, too.

On Thursday, AMD disclosed the model numbers, price, and rough availability of both the 12- and 16-core AMD Threadripper chips, designed for the upper echelons of gaming and content-creation PCs:

The $999 16-core, 32-thread 3.4-GHz Threadripper 1950X
    The $799 12-core, 24-thread 3.5-GHz Threadripper 1920X

Given that information, we also know the difference between what Intel and AMD will charge for their respective offerings. You’ll pay $700 less for a 1950X than Intel’s 16-core, 32-thread Core i9-7960X, and a thousand dollars less than Intel’s 18-core, 36-thread Core i9-7980XE. On the lower end, the Threadripper 12-core 1920X costs $400 less than the 12-core Core i9-7920X, and $600 less than the 14-core Core i9-7940X.

AMD says that it will begin shipping Ryzen Threadripper CPUs and motherboards in early August. The company also confirmed that preorders of Alienware’s Area-51 systems will begin on July 27.

Why this matters: AMD’s disclosure is a new thrust in the ongoing slow-motion fencing match between Threadripper and Intel’s Core i9. Though it’s deeply important for AMD to offer a microprocessor to compete with the Core i9, both Threadripper and Core i9 are Ferraris in the chip world—a world in which most users still drive a minivan. The Motley Fool reporter Ashlaf Eassa noted that of the four most popular PC microprocessors sold by Amazon, all cost around $200 to $300, including a pair of AMD Ryzen 7 chips.

read da rest hurr

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AussieBear For This Useful Post:

Oh now I have a decision to make.... build AMD for the first time and go for Threadripper or stick with Intel and eat the cost (or fewer cores/threads)

Hmmmm

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This *might* be what I buy for my main system. I'm still debating this or Epyc.

Still waiting on some availability. Finally able to replace my dual opteron 6376 server from 2013 and still going strong. Just don't know with what. I have had a SMP unit going for 22 years now(minus army time), and for the first time, I don't see how to justify that premium. Threadripper or i9 might be the best bet. Although for what I do, i9s barely perform better, and Xeons are priced out of budget.

Not to hijack this thread, but this got me thinking.

I remember when I was first building PCs... core speed was the end all, be all, because you didn't have multi-core yet.

So you got into the 3Ghz+ range, maybe OC to 4Ghz.... but then core speed became less important.

Multi-core became name of the game.... dual core, quad core, now we have 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 core CPUs.

However I notice some of these are hitting core speeds much higher than I recall... cores hitting 4Ghz+

I am wondering if we will begin to shift back to core speeds being more important again, or no.

IMO it will be more of the same. IPC with x86/64 is the name of the game.

Nobody is pushing for a significant change in that aspect, because the next step is CNT packages. Carbon-nanotube. Quantum computing is like flying cars. Not going to be an end-user technology for a long long time.
    It will be all about asynchronous computing. ie: Taking an x86 CPU with ARM cores and CNT layer to optimize for performance of different tasks. Kind of like how we have APUs now(CPUs with GPU cores on them).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crystallas For This Useful Post:

Im curious as to how/why AMD can price their CPUs so much lower than Intel?

Does Intel just have so many buyers who are contracted and/or presume their CPUs are better then AMD?

Or has Intel been simply pricing high and AMD is taking the opportunity to seriously undercut them?

Or is AMD living with the risk of hurting themselves financially in order to take back market share?

Something tells me it is a mix of everything.

It's indeed complex. Intel is a bit of a dirty player. Also, AMD skips on certain bleeding tech integration then adopts it when those features are actually realistic or produce performance gains. There are small trade-offs for sure.

AMD is made up of mostly elite hardware engineers. Elite at R&D when they have funds. Not very good at marketing, slow on software, weak on investments(like buying/licensing IPs). Intel is very good on investments, very good at marketing, okay on software, okay on engineering, good on R&D.
    Last edited by Crystallas; 07-13-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im curious as to how/why AMD can price their CPUs so much lower than Intel?

Does Intel just have so many buyers who are contracted and/or presume their CPUs are better then AMD?

Or has Intel been simply pricing high and AMD is taking the opportunity to seriously undercut them?

Or is AMD living with the risk of hurting themselves financially in order to take back market share?

Something tells me it is a mix of everything.
    If you check around, AMD is having retarded high yields out of their Ryzen wafers. BTW Threadripper and EPYC are basically 8 core Ryzens strung together on the same package using AMD's infinity fabric interconnect. This is allowing AMD to offer their processors at a lower price while still maintaining fantastic profitability off every wafer and CPU being sold.

Intel had not had to stoop to bashing the competition for a long time and the poop flinging actually just began days ago. Intel was talking shit about EPYC's characteristics and how its not suitable for the HPC market. The thing is that AMD didn't make Zen for the HPC market to begin with. It was from the get go a product made with the server market in mind. Believe it or not many companies approached AMD practically begging them to make a competitive product for the server market because they had been fucking done with Intel's monopoly, shit business ethic and forced product price gouging. It just of course as a byproduct allowed AMD to become competitive in the desktop arena using its same Zen cores.

AMD right now is killing it with Zen. Their fucking graphics division though. Fucks sake. I don't know what the fuck is going on at AMD with their graphics lineup anymore. Raja Koduri is very nearly getting a vote of no confidence from me. They're late as fuck delivering the Vega graphics architecture and all signs are pointing to it barely being a competitor to the GTX 1080 while still being shit on by the GTX 1080 Ti. Well, congrats you fucking bobblehead. You just beat a 2 year old card and are launching a nearly dead on delivery graphics card. I fucking hate Nvidia's shit anti-consumer practices which heavily mirror the shit Intel pulls but AMD hasn't been able to keep pace with Nvidia. They have been playing catch up and super late to it at that.

As to the thread's topic: I am still lining up for the 16 core Threadripper processor. I am merely hoping that Vega isn't as much of a flop as I am anticipating so it could be a fully AMD rig instead of an AMD / Nvidia build.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Screw you Shintel. I'm going all in.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LMAO @ that picture of a giant fucking motherboard sized Threadripper. That shit would be like a 1000 core processor.

Quote Originally Posted by xer0h0ur View Post
    LMAO @ that picture of a giant fucking motherboard sized Threadripper. That shit would be like a 1000 core processor.
    I want.... lol imagine the heatsink for dat shit

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want.... lol imagine the heatsink for dat shit
    Imagine the electric bill. 30000 W psu?

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Imagine the electric bill. 30000 W psu?
    imagine the motherboard.... the video card.... the memory sticks.... need a fucking forklift

Imagine the eventual laptop using a desktop part.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wintermute For This Useful Post:

I'm basically looking to build a dual Xeon 4114 system, and waiting to see if Naples or even some Threadripper solution makes it worthwhile. My main systems have been SMP since the early 90s, so it would be interesting if I break that trend and build a Threadripper 1950X system instead.

But damn it, availability has been awful for everything. Plus I would be a happy camper if I could avoid locked down supermicro boards.

I'm basically looking to build a dual Xeon 4114 system, and waiting to see if Naples or even some Threadripper solution makes it worthwhile. My main systems have been SMP since the early 90s, so it would be interesting if I break that trend and build a Threadripper 1950X system instead.

But damn it, availability has been awful for everything. Plus I would be a happy camper if I could avoid locked down supermicro boards.
    Can you elaborate? When I was looking at building an SMP setup I was largely looking at Supermicro boards.

I am curious what they lock down on you.

Can you elaborate? When I was looking at building an SMP setup I was largely looking at Supermicro boards.

I am curious what they lock down on you.
    I exaggerate. They're not that much different than anything else. The form factors get goofy, so you're stuck running Supermicro compatible cases. When they say EATX, you can't buy an EATX case unless you're okay with doing some drilling/cutting. I've also have locked down bios issues from them when someone like Tyan will have the same chipset and reference, but more flexibility(plus Tyan EATX will fit an EATX case out the gate.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo

drop 9-10k and dis yours.. comes wiff those glowing keyboards you lov

The "X" in the product name is worth $2000 alone.

I think Threadripper 16/32 1950X is a $1000 part. Intel's i9 7960X is their 16/32 CPU for $1700.

So yeah, these are CPU prices like we would have paid 20 years ago for high end. Epyx and Xeon in the same ranges are considerably more expensive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have to admit I'm tempted, but gaming is what I do. Probably going to wait for Zen 2 or 3.

27. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast