Amd releases threadripper prices

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I think Threadripper 16/32 1950X is a $1000 part. Intel's i9 7960X is their 16/32 CPU for $1700.

So yeah, these are CPU prices like we would have paid 20 years ago for high end. Epyx and Xeon in the same ranges are considerably more expensive.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Have to admit I'm tempted, but gaming is what I do. Probably going to wait for Zen 2 or 3.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From the looks of it I am going to wait out the initial storm. I am not going to buy a 1950X upon release. I will let the product launch and the wrinkles be ironed out from the architecture, BIOS, motherboards etc. etc. before I take my dive. Either way I will end up building a 16 core TR rig. Just won't be at launch.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The packaging reminds me of when 3DFX decided to manufacture everything.

AussieBear

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
still like that 95w tdp 1800x..i didnt see the 1900x tdp numbers in that article.. guessing 125-180.. if i dont end up with another xeon.. itll be that 1800x or 1600x me thinking.. hopefully these threadrippers pushes their other chips down a tad.. plus who knows where theyll be in a couple years when me ready

Dug a little deeper and it sounds like the 1900x might have higher latency due to design, hence the slightly higher clockspeed to compensate. So yeah, the 1800x might be a better bet for gaming. But look8ng forward to upcoming benchmarks.

Thinking I might hold out for zen 2 or 3.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Holding out is a good idea. At least until E models arrive. Assuming AMD continues to use the E designation for low power revisions. IMO the 1600 is the best CPU in all of Ryzen(heck, all of mainstream mid-range) for what you get price:performance:power consumption.

But I'd love to see what they could do with a 1900E model. The way my 1700 office server rig is and with all the tuning and tweaking, also factoring it that it runs between 50-100% load 24/7, I've managed to average 56w @ the CPU. So I figure a 1900E with good bin, bios could see a huge dropdown in TDP, maybe to 98w or so. With all things considered, that would be a sweet chip for certain specific applications. Hell, maybe even sub-80 with better cool and quiet specifications (although I'd imagine that much of a drop would kill performance and make it barely a 12k PM system.)

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
still like that 95w tdp 1800x..i didnt see the 1900x tdp numbers in that article.. guessing 125-180.. if i dont end up with another xeon.. itll be that 1800x or 1600x me thinking.. hopefully these threadrippers pushes their other chips down a tad.. plus who knows where theyll be in a couple years when me ready

For the love of god. There is no reason to spend the money on an 1800X unless you're intentionally trying to use less voltage to overclock and have lower temperatures. The 1700, 1700X and 1800X are the exact same dies. Literally. The only difference is that the 1700X and 1800X are binned dies that need less voltage to clock higher/overclock. So if your intent is to hit 4GHz for instance just buy a 1700 and get a nice cooler for it. Crank up an overclock on it and call it a day. Quite a chunk of change saved in price difference too.

Last edited:

AussieBear

For the love of god. There is no reason to spend the money on an 1800X unless you're intentionally trying to use less voltage to overclock and have lower temperatures. The 1700, 1700X and 1800X are the exact same dies. Literally. The only difference is that the 1700X and 1800X are binned dies that need less voltage to clock higher/overclock. So if your intent is to hit 4GHz for instance just buy a 1700 and get a nice cooler for it. Crank up an overclock and it and call it a day. Quite a chunk of change saved in price difference too.

i wouldnt oc. after having this xeon non oc'ed.. im cool wiff it.. as long as da cpu be in that 3.6-4.0 range, i doubt id oc at all. im coming around to power efficiency... if electricity was free.. i probably wouldnt care.. but our house is 100% electric.. and i notice the bills these days.. all our new big appliance have been energy efficient buys... there is gas on the street so we may convert eventually.. just dont feel like paying atm.. cause would need to invest in new kitchen.. new on demand water heating system etc etc...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Breh, why aren't you using solar or wind power out there? If you're trying to stick to the processor's rated power draw then never overclock. Overclocking increases the power draw big time.

AussieBear

Breh, why aren't you using solar or wind power out there? If you're trying to stick to the processor's rated power draw then never overclock. Overclocking increases the power draw big time.

a couple of reasons... red tape is one.. you have to have a certified electrician/co do the work or youre no longer covered insurance wise;;-- if that were a root cause of sumin sumin dat is. a lot of the solar system installed here are set up to run power during the day and still draw power from the grid at night. battery storage is becoming more popular here, but its not standard. if these tesla batteries half in price in the future, we may consider it.

also, we are not sure if this is the forever house. well that view is more me than it is the wife. if i were being selfish and centering our life around me, we'd be in the states. at the same time our burb prices keep growing (was about 20-25% this past year) and if we can flip this for decent profits with minimal reno costs.. we both have already agreed that a possible upgrade/downgrade on acreage 20-30 minutes away is in the realm of possibility.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
FWIW I am far more a fan (pun intended) of wind power than solar power. Its perfectly logical though that they want certified installers because if you're jerry rigging anything electrical you're a massive liability.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I did my solar and wind, it's not hard. I even did my grid tie junction and I'm not 'certified'. ComEd inspects the setup before you can run it through their meter and buys back electricity.

Anything you can buy at a home depot, you can be assured that people DIY without any formal education on the matters. That includes all things electrical. Nobody wants to burn their house down and die in an inferno. Do stupid people exist? Sure, but a lot of certified technicians also make up that population.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Been thinking about a new gaming PC build, I've been wanting to do a build around a micro board and get away from a full tower for a while now. AMD coming back around with some new chips might give me the final excuse I need to actually spend the money. That and my i7 is pretty damned old at this point.

AussieBear

FWIW I am far more a fan (pun intended) of wind power than solar power. Its perfectly logical though that they want certified installers because if you're jerry rigging anything electrical you're a massive liability.

i get the liability factor, but its not that hard imo and i just dont want to pay someone to do it.. but if we want them were going to have to i suppose.. we get some wind, its just too sporadic.... solar would do well though. a combo setup would probably be better..

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I did my solar and wind, it's not hard. I even did my grid tie junction and I'm not 'certified'. ComEd inspects the setup before you can run it through their meter and buys back electricity.

Anything you can buy at a home depot, you can be assured that people DIY without any formal education on the matters. That includes all things electrical. Nobody wants to burn their house down and die in an inferno. Do stupid people exist? Sure, but a lot of certified technicians also make up that population.

We get it. You're a DIY MacGyver.

I was talking about with respect to the insurance company. They want to be certain that the work is up to code and if something goes wrong they can go after the installer instead of being fully on the hook for a claim.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
We get it. You're a DIY MacGyver.

I was talking about with respect to the insurance company. They want to be certain that the work is up to code and if something goes wrong they can go after the installer instead of being fully on the hook for a claim.

Get it inspected :shrug:

May as well buy premade computers. Don't want to burn the house down.