Amd releases threadripper prices

AussieBear

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3207747/components/amd-threadripper-prices-and-release-date.html

AMD Threadripper prices undercut Intel's Core i9 by as much as $1,000

AMD has revealed the prices for some of its Threadripper CPUs, using the same effective strategy that it executed for its mainstream Ryzen chips: set eye-popping discounts compared to Intel’s own Core i9 family, and probably earlier release dates, too.

On Thursday, AMD disclosed the model numbers, price, and rough availability of both the 12- and 16-core AMD Threadripper chips, designed for the upper echelons of gaming and content-creation PCs:

The $999 16-core, 32-thread 3.4-GHz Threadripper 1950X
The $799 12-core, 24-thread 3.5-GHz Threadripper 1920X

Given that information, we also know the difference between what Intel and AMD will charge for their respective offerings. You’ll pay $700 less for a 1950X than Intel’s 16-core, 32-thread Core i9-7960X, and a thousand dollars less than Intel’s 18-core, 36-thread Core i9-7980XE. On the lower end, the Threadripper 12-core 1920X costs $400 less than the 12-core Core i9-7920X, and $600 less than the 14-core Core i9-7940X.

AMD says that it will begin shipping Ryzen Threadripper CPUs and motherboards in early August. The company also confirmed that preorders of Alienware’s Area-51 systems will begin on July 27.

Why this matters: AMD’s disclosure is a new thrust in the ongoing slow-motion fencing match between Threadripper and Intel’s Core i9. Though it’s deeply important for AMD to offer a microprocessor to compete with the Core i9, both Threadripper and Core i9 are Ferraris in the chip world—a world in which most users still drive a minivan. The Motley Fool reporter Ashlaf Eassa noted that of the four most popular PC microprocessors sold by Amazon, all cost around $200 to $300, including a pair of AMD Ryzen 7 chips.

read da rest hurr

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh now I have a decision to make.... build AMD for the first time and go for Threadripper or stick with Intel and eat the cost (or fewer cores/threads)

Hmmmm

:thinking:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This *might* be what I buy for my main system. I'm still debating this or Epyc.

Still waiting on some availability. Finally able to replace my dual opteron 6376 server from 2013 and still going strong. Just don't know with what. I have had a SMP unit going for 22 years now(minus army time), and for the first time, I don't see how to justify that premium. Threadripper or i9 might be the best bet. Although for what I do, i9s barely perform better, and Xeons are priced out of budget.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not to hijack this thread, but this got me thinking.

I remember when I was first building PCs... core speed was the end all, be all, because you didn't have multi-core yet.

So you got into the 3Ghz+ range, maybe OC to 4Ghz.... but then core speed became less important.

Multi-core became name of the game.... dual core, quad core, now we have 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 core CPUs.

However I notice some of these are hitting core speeds much higher than I recall... cores hitting 4Ghz+

I am wondering if we will begin to shift back to core speeds being more important again, or no.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
IMO it will be more of the same. IPC with x86/64 is the name of the game.

Nobody is pushing for a significant change in that aspect, because the next step is CNT packages. Carbon-nanotube. Quantum computing is like flying cars. Not going to be an end-user technology for a long long time.
It will be all about asynchronous computing. ie: Taking an x86 CPU with ARM cores and CNT layer to optimize for performance of different tasks. Kind of like how we have APUs now(CPUs with GPU cores on them).

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Im curious as to how/why AMD can price their CPUs so much lower than Intel?

Does Intel just have so many buyers who are contracted and/or presume their CPUs are better then AMD?

Or has Intel been simply pricing high and AMD is taking the opportunity to seriously undercut them?

Or is AMD living with the risk of hurting themselves financially in order to take back market share?

Something tells me it is a mix of everything.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's indeed complex. Intel is a bit of a dirty player. Also, AMD skips on certain bleeding tech integration then adopts it when those features are actually realistic or produce performance gains. There are small trade-offs for sure.

AMD is made up of mostly elite hardware engineers. Elite at R&D when they have funds. Not very good at marketing, slow on software, weak on investments(like buying/licensing IPs). Intel is very good on investments, very good at marketing, okay on software, okay on engineering, good on R&D.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Im curious as to how/why AMD can price their CPUs so much lower than Intel?

Does Intel just have so many buyers who are contracted and/or presume their CPUs are better then AMD?

Or has Intel been simply pricing high and AMD is taking the opportunity to seriously undercut them?

Or is AMD living with the risk of hurting themselves financially in order to take back market share?

Something tells me it is a mix of everything.

If you check around, AMD is having Special person high yields out of their Ryzen wafers. BTW Threadripper and EPYC are basically 8 core Ryzens strung together on the same package using AMD's infinity fabric interconnect. This is allowing AMD to offer their processors at a lower price while still maintaining fantastic profitability off every wafer and CPU being sold.

Intel had not had to stoop to bashing the competition for a long time and the poop flinging actually just began days ago. Intel was talking shit about EPYC's characteristics and how its not suitable for the HPC market. The thing is that AMD didn't make Zen for the HPC market to begin with. It was from the get go a product made with the server market in mind. Believe it or not many companies approached AMD practically begging them to make a competitive product for the server market because they had been fucking done with Intel's monopoly, shit business ethic and forced product price gouging. It just of course as a byproduct allowed AMD to become competitive in the desktop arena using its same Zen cores.

AMD right now is killing it with Zen. Their fucking graphics division though. Fucks sake. I don't know what the fuck is going on at AMD with their graphics lineup anymore. Raja Koduri is very nearly getting a vote of no confidence from me. They're late as fuck delivering the Vega graphics architecture and all signs are pointing to it barely being a competitor to the GTX 1080 while still being shit on by the GTX 1080 Ti. Well, congrats you fucking bobblehead. You just beat a 2 year old card and are launching a nearly dead on delivery graphics card. I fucking hate Nvidia's shit anti-consumer practices which heavily mirror the shit Intel pulls but AMD hasn't been able to keep pace with Nvidia. They have been playing catch up and super late to it at that.

As to the thread's topic: I am still lining up for the 16 core Threadripper processor. I am merely hoping that Vega isn't as much of a flop as I am anticipating so it could be a fully AMD rig instead of an AMD / Nvidia build.

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
Screw you Shintel. I'm going all in.
dbwthwoxkaeehmw-1.jpg.324b24f4c47236d1eaf463abf6ad95a3.jpg

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LMAO @ that picture of a giant fucking motherboard sized Threadripper. That shit would be like a 1000 core processor.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LMAO @ that picture of a giant fucking motherboard sized Threadripper. That shit would be like a 1000 core processor.

I want.... lol imagine the heatsink for dat shit

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Imagine the electric bill. 30000 W psu?

imagine the motherboard.... the video card.... the memory sticks.... need a fucking forklift

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Imagine the eventual laptop using a desktop part.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm basically looking to build a dual Xeon 4114 system, and waiting to see if Naples or even some Threadripper solution makes it worthwhile. My main systems have been SMP since the early 90s, so it would be interesting if I break that trend and build a Threadripper 1950X system instead.

But damn it, availability has been awful for everything. Plus I would be a happy camper if I could avoid locked down supermicro boards.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm basically looking to build a dual Xeon 4114 system, and waiting to see if Naples or even some Threadripper solution makes it worthwhile. My main systems have been SMP since the early 90s, so it would be interesting if I break that trend and build a Threadripper 1950X system instead.

But damn it, availability has been awful for everything. Plus I would be a happy camper if I could avoid locked down supermicro boards.

Can you elaborate? When I was looking at building an SMP setup I was largely looking at Supermicro boards.

I am curious what they lock down on you.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Can you elaborate? When I was looking at building an SMP setup I was largely looking at Supermicro boards.

I am curious what they lock down on you.

I exaggerate. They're not that much different than anything else. The form factors get goofy, so you're stuck running Supermicro compatible cases. When they say EATX, you can't buy an EATX case unless you're okay with doing some drilling/cutting. I've also have locked down bios issues from them when someone like Tyan will have the same chipset and reference, but more flexibility(plus Tyan EATX will fit an EATX case out the gate.)

AussieBear

Imagine the eventual laptop using a desktop part.

drop 9-10k and dis yours.. comes wiff those glowing keyboards you lov

[video=youtube;bnpoAIfUWIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnpoAIfUWIk[/video]

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
The "X" in the product name is worth $2000 alone.