IST: Cubs @ Orioles

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Also i need to amend my earlier comment. The cubs are a pretty good team when they hit 5 HRs.

When Cubs had 4 early HRs, my son said record was 5.

I reminded him we saw 5 in a game we attended last year.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It's honestly nuts how this team can go from 0-100 real quick or 100-0 if you prefer. They had 7 hits off Gausman in 3 innings and have 2 hits the rest of the game. Obviously this is more on the pitching tonight than the offense but still pretty nuts.
Guys started swinging for Hrs after getting a big lead early instead of trying to just get baserunners and knock them in to put game away...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Guys started swinging for Hrs after getting a big lead early instead of trying to just get baserunners and knock them in to put game away...

They have been doing that since spring training.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Heyward defense can be just as good as driving in a couple runs most games with the runs he probably keeps off the board...

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Johnny Giavotella?

Sopranos character?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Heyward defense can be just as good as driving in a couple runs most games with the runs he probably keeps off the board...

This is my recurring theme. But people only see it in some positions.

Watch Cards. Every day they allow extra runs. It kills.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What worries me is they need a 8th inning guy that can lock it down for Davis.

Grimm 2 runs
Strop: 2 BB
Duesing the only clean guy but 1 out only.
Edwards 2 BB
Urahara: 2 runs.
Davis: Clean inning.

So that is what really concerns me right now. They need a solid 8th inning guy at this point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Grimm 2 runs
Edwards 2 BB

So that is what really concerns me right now. They need a solid 8th inning guy at this point.

Those guys could be Montgomery and Butler..

Adding Quintana and maybe another SP , not only improve the rotation but will also improve the bullpen by adding those two to it..

Question then will be who goes , between Grimm Strop and Rondon

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Wow. What a game. I left the house in the 3rd when it was 8-0. On my way home told my dad they were up 8-0 and he's like they probably blew it. I laughed and said doubtful, 8 is a pretty good lead... I walked in and seen it was 8-8. I was like holy wow.

That catch from Heyward was crazy. He was deep in that corner. The camera couldn't even see him haha. Addbomb was nice.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Grimm 2 runs
Edwards 2 BB

If Strop could harness his stuff, he could be devastating. But I doubt that ever happens.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Funny how you picture something and can be so far off. Reading the game on phone, I see "fouled out to right".

Then I see the posts about Heyward's D, and look forward to seeing his catch.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Those guys could be Montgomery and Butler..

Adding Quintana and maybe another SP , not only improve the rotation but will also improve the bullpen by adding those two to it..

Question then will be who goes , between Grimm Strop and Rondon

Rumor is they are still in on Gray. Honestly All they can afford to trade right now is Almora, Candelero and DeLaCruz. Maybe add Preston Morrison. It is not a epic trade but it have depth/control which Oak may like more than 1 top flight guy that they can't hold onto.

So that is a maybe.

Over all Rondon had been off more than on. Strop can put out a turd then toss 2 weeks of clean. Edwards just walks too many guys. He is the "Sexy" choice but really lacks that consistency.

Butler not sure honestly. He has a really nice breaking pitch and in 1 inning situations he might play up his slider/fastball more. He does walk his share and that is a issue in short stints where you need to get clean innings.

In the pen you have high leverage types. IE SO guys. Those guys you want to bring in with guys on base vs starting a inning. Strop and Edwards are ideal here. When they are not giving free passes.

Then you have guys that are better starting a inning. Davis and Rondon fall under this type. Kinda a starter mentality. Grimm also was a starter so he falls here.

So seeing how we are talking the 8th. Rondon should have been that guy. but he has really not been that guy. Honestly they need to upgrade him and cut. Uraha has been used in this and for a guy over 40 he does a fine job. But we are talking about a guy over 40 who doesn't break 90 MPH.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rumor is they are still in on Gray. Honestly All they can afford to trade right now is Almora, Candelero and DeLaCruz. Maybe add Preston Morrison. It is not a epic trade but it have depth/control which Oak may like more than 1 top flight guy that they can't hold onto.

So that is a maybe.

Over all Rondon had been off more than on. Strop can put out a turd then toss 2 weeks of clean. Edwards just walks too many guys. He is the "Sexy" choice but really lacks that consistency.

Butler not sure honestly. He has a really nice breaking pitch and in 1 inning situations he might play up his slider/fastball more. He does walk his share and that is a issue in short stints where you need to get clean innings.

In the pen you have high leverage types. IE SO guys. Those guys you want to bring in with guys on base vs starting a inning. Strop and Edwards are ideal here. When they are not giving free passes.

Then you have guys that are better starting a inning. Davis and Rondon fall under this type. Kinda a starter mentality. Grimm also was a starter so he falls here.

So seeing how we are talking the 8th. Rondon should have been that guy. but he has really not been that guy. Honestly they need to upgrade him and cut. Uraha has been used in this and for a guy over 40 he does a fine job. But we are talking about a guy over 40 who doesn't break 90 MPH.

I mean it really depends on the market for Gray. If no one is willing to give up a top 50 prospect for him then I think you can make the argument a trade built around Candelario might work because Beane doesn't do total tear downs. He'll want parts that can work next year. And between Hannemann, Candelario, Zaguins, Young, Tseng, Clifton and others the cubs have a lot of B tier prospects who are ready for the majors or very close. It might seem silly to us not to go for the highest impact but from his point of view if you can get 3-4 players who help next year that's several million dollars he can use else where.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Kyle Schwarber is absurd.

Christopher Kamka @ckamka
Through Friday, Kyle Schwarber now has 100 career MLB hits; 49 extra base hits
18 doubles
1 triple (his first hit)
30 home runs

Southsidewentblind

Liked Posts:
It's not that we need an 8th inning guy, we have to fix what is wrong with our players. Read my post about today's game analysis I began describing some issue I noticed with our Pitchers. Let me know what you think if you noticed it as well. Koji can not challenge a man that big over the plate.

And I want to see our Bullpen become this:
Our RH mid inning as Uehara, Strop, and Rondon
Our LH mid inning as Rob Zastryzny and Ross Detwiler from Iowa(AAA)
and have a Dual Closer roles with Wade Davis (RHP) and Mike Montgomery (LHP) depending on what we will see.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It's not that we need an 8th inning guy, we have to fix what is wrong with our players. Read my post about today's game analysis I began describing some issue I noticed with our Pitchers. Let me know what you think if you noticed it as well. Koji can not challenge a man that big over the plate.

And I want to see our Bullpen become this:
Our RH mid inning as Uehara, Strop, and Rondon
Our LH mid inning as Rob Zastryzny and Ross Detwiler from Iowa(AAA)
and have a Dual Closer roles with Wade Davis (RHP) and Mike Montgomery (LHP) depending on what we will see.

Koji has reverse splits for his career. He's better vs lefties. Granted those are a bit off this year but it's a super small sample.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I mean it really depends on the market for Gray. If no one is willing to give up a top 50 prospect for him then I think you can make the argument a trade built around Candelario might work because Beane doesn't do total tear downs. He'll want parts that can work next year. And between Hannemann, Candelario, Zaguins, Young, Tseng, Clifton and others the cubs have a lot of B tier prospects who are ready for the majors or very close. It might seem silly to us not to go for the highest impact but from his point of view if you can get 3-4 players who help next year that's several million dollars he can use else where.

Zag honestly is very meh.

Hannermann is ok. He is a 4th guy.

If you were doing a bulk and wanted to be competitive then go Almora (was a top 100). Candelero (top 100). Then Clifton (in AA).

Logically the next guy would be Tseng but he needs to be able to locate is lack of movement fastball to be effective. We saw if it drops down to Hendrick's speed that he gets hammered. I believe that he is more of a sure thing but it really depends on what Beane wants. If he wants ready to go then Tseng makes sense. If he wants to finish up development then Alzolay makes sense. If he wants a SS then Adelman makes sense.

I do believe he wants full control vs guys heading into arb. He has to survive in a 5 year window with his players.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Arrieta should be amped up for his first start against his old team tonight.

Expect to see a few early Ks