Close
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default anyone ever clone hhd to run on another pc?

Does this work? Can i boot from it? Any complications? License issues?

If i win a cheap r7 360 on the ebay, im gonna go ahead and just build out and oc the x3470 in da next few weeks. Before you say why dont you just buy a new single card. Well, if i were to sell my r7 360 and not bid on the used one on ebay, id still need another 100+ aud to just buy a 1050ti. Plus, i still have to buy another replacement for this rig. Probably be a cheap quadro based card for non gaming applications. I should have kept my quadro 2000.. but eh.. 40-50 i can get another deez dayz hurr.

i do want to run both pcs daily. Will focus on games with the dual r7s and an OC x3470 to around 4-4.5 ghz.. If its too much of a hassle will just do a clean install wiff 7 or 8.1 on it, or even 10 (works on da mobo but hassles) and then reinstall all da shat.. just trying to save a day or two of me spread out time..

What says you..

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes on windows and most linux distros. Linux is easier if you have a generic kernel(or just use multiple kernels) and you know your encryption keys/passwords if used. Windows is tricky, because you essentially need to strip it down to generic drivers so when it's boot up on different hardware, it initialized the driver search.

To find all those extra installed drivers to strip out is easier said than done, and I doubt anyone is going to explain it better in detail. Also, that doesn't mean it will work, only that doing this can work. And yes, you could still have license issues. It's been hit or miss with newer versions of windows for me.

On Mac OS. HAH... good luck. Minor hardware changes aren't bad, major changes will make the OS so slow and unusable, which then makes it harder to dig around and clean the obsolete modules/drivers.

Anyways, for all OSes, backup and fresh install is way faster. My dirty secret is that I'll prep a drive by removing everything but the parts I want to keep(or am unsure of) and resize that into a tiny partition. Fresh install then copy over anything until I have all data/wares on the new install. When done, I'll clone the disk, delete the partition, and transfer the clone image back. Mind you, these are only things I do for friends or if someone pays me. No power user uses just one disk for all their storage, plan ahead and learn to use one small and fast drive strictly for OS and another for software. Dynamic %Program Files% %Program Data% %User Data% etc or whatever windows the path can be set manually.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crystallas For This Useful Post:

People still use Mac OS? But... why?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes on windows and most linux distros. Linux is easier if you have a generic kernel(or just use multiple kernels) and you know your encryption keys/passwords if used. Windows is tricky, because you essentially need to strip it down to generic drivers so when it's boot up on different hardware, it initialized the driver search.

To find all those extra installed drivers to strip out is easier said than done, and I doubt anyone is going to explain it better in detail. Also, that doesn't mean it will work, only that doing this can work. And yes, you could still have license issues. It's been hit or miss with newer versions of windows for me.

On Mac OS. HAH... good luck. Minor hardware changes aren't bad, major changes will make the OS so slow and unusable, which then makes it harder to dig around and clean the obsolete modules/drivers.

Anyways, for all OSes, backup and fresh install is way faster. My dirty secret is that I'll prep a drive by removing everything but the parts I want to keep(or am unsure of) and resize that into a tiny partition. Fresh install then copy over anything until I have all data/wares on the new install. When done, I'll clone the disk, delete the partition, and transfer the clone image back. Mind you, these are only things I do for friends or if someone pays me. No power user uses just one disk for all their storage, plan ahead and learn to use one small and fast drive strictly for OS and another for software. Dynamic %Program Files% %Program Data% %User Data% etc or whatever windows the path can be set manually.
    work for a chance it doesnt work.. eh forrgehdaboutit... i will see how the auction goes.. if it doesnt go well.. long auction.. 7 days i think.... if i dont get the r7, i may just sell the z200 x3470 and dat p55 mobo and let someone else get on it while it still has a lil life left.....i just keep putting it off...

thanks for the input

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't have very many positive experiences with cloning hard drives to be honest. Windows is fidgety as fuck. And I am talking about making a direct clone being used on the same computer and the same hardware. Would rather make an image of a hard drive and recover from an image than attempt a direct cloning of a hard drive. The only reliable cloning I have ever done was using standalone hardware specifically made for cloning drives and its not like many people own that kind of hardware.

You Can Call Me Al

I'd like a clone of HHM

the only cloning I have done would be a storage drive.....

A system drive would typically need at least a new windows key if you are putting it on a new motherboard and the drivers for the motherboard would most likely be wrong......better to do a clean install ans store all your non-program data on a storage drive either thru a separate drive or a partition.
    What does the Fox say?

run run run run run run pass

What does the Fox say?

10. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.