Grasu's Future...

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Funny stuff:) "Leno has been "GOOD" and is getting "BETTER"?

Leno only allowed four sacks in 16 games all of last season, YES he's good and getting better. Guys who allow only one or zero sacks year in and year out are Hall of Fame caliber players like Smith, Peters, Thomas, Williams etc. Is Leno that good? No but he's plenty good and is a more than capable starter.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Let's put it another way, the Bears gave up eight sacks with Cutler behind center over the first two games and only 19 sacks over the final 14 games of the season.

27 sacks allowed all of last season versus 54 over the entirety of 2010 the first year of the Mike Martz era. Are you realizing yet how much better the offensive line is?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It's pretty simple...

If Grasu is fully recovered from the ACL -- since he was good enough to start going in Preseason Game 4 (injured 8/30/16) -- he'll be a firstrate backup C (on rookie contract) starting the season.

If or when Sitton or Long are injured (high probability), Bears will play Grasu at C (Whitehair to G), or Kush at G, depending on how good each has looked thus far.

Especially if it's near the start of the season... if Grasu looks about as good as Kush, they'll play Grasu because Pace drafted Grasu in the 3rd Rd and he missed all of 2016. They see him more as the future starting C, than Kush as the future starting G.

However, the later in season it is, and if the Bears appear in contention, Pace is more likely to put Kush in, and keep Whitehair at C.

Consider the trending health of Sitton and Long, there's a high probability they both go down, in which case Kush has one G position and you really want to see Grasu holding the C position as soon as possible.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
If Grasu is fully recovered from the ACL -- since he was good enough to start going in Preseason Game 4 (injured 8/30/16) -- he'll be a firstrate backup C (on rookie contract) starting the season.

I don't agree with this. For starters, he blew up his ACL during the family fest practice. He never even made it to a pre-season game. So I'm not sure why you noted him as the starer through game 4? It was assumed he'd play the position because we really didn't have anyone on the roster who was intended to challenge him for it.

But his play in camp and in 2015 showed me nothing to believe that he can even be a first-rate back up.

Maybe blowing up his ACL has made him a better player...? But I just don't think that injury ever helps a person whose entire game is primarily based on lower body strength and leverage.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't agree with this. For starters, he blew up his ACL during the family fest practice. He never even made it to a pre-season game. So I'm not sure why you noted him as the starer through game 4? It was assumed he'd play the position because we really didn't have anyone on the roster who was intended to challenge him for it.

But his play in camp and in 2015 showed me nothing to believe that he can even be a first-rate back up.

Maybe blowing up his ACL has made him a better player...? But I just don't think that injury ever helps a person whose entire game is primarily based on lower body strength and leverage.
I was just matching up Grasu's injury date 8/30/16 with the 2017 preseason schedule, which has preseason Game 3 from 8/24-27. If last year's schedule is different, I'll take your word for it.

I read/heard the coaches saying he looked good and was expected to start at C for the 2016 season. I don't have any reason to doubt that. He had just loaded over 20 lbs of muscle. Nobody was remotely slated to play C above him at the time.

You're free to assess his previous play anyway you want. I think -- if -- he's fully recovered from the ACL (and he is young, & this is medical-world 2017), he'll be fine. In this below video, Thayer liked what he was seeing from Grasu's last games: http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...s-impact/3ffd0934-e148-4da2-bcb2-87068cc4900b

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I was just matching up Grasu's injury date 8/30/16 with the 2017 preseason schedule, which has preseason Game 3 from 8/24-27. If last year's schedule is different, I'll take your word for it.

I read/heard the coaches saying he looked good and was expected to start at C for the 2016 season. I don't have any reason to doubt that. He had just loaded over 20 lbs of muscle. Nobody was remotely slated to play C above him at the time.

You're free to assess his previous play anyway you want. I think -- if -- he's fully recovered from the ACL (and he is young, & this is medical-world 2017), he'll be fine. In this below video, Thayer liked what he was seeing from Grasu's last games: http://www.chicagobears.com/multime...s-impact/3ffd0934-e148-4da2-bcb2-87068cc4900b

I see where you're coming from on it. Yes, you're right. They didn't put him on IR until he had the surgery which was around that date you noted.

But I was there and remember him going down being taken off the field at family fest and thinking: "Who the fuck do we have on the roster who can play C...?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...u-out-for-season-torn-acl-20160808-story.html

Ditka19861

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Grasu was looking good in preseason last year too... didn't Whitehair only have a week before the season started to learn the Center position.

JeffChrist

Liked Posts:
I can't see them using a roster spot on a backup center who can't play any other positions on the line. The backup needs to be able to swing around. We have our center, his name is Whitehair.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I thought Grasu was looking good in preseason last year too... didn't Whitehair only have a week before the season started to learn the Center position.

He didn't play a single pre-season game....

What are you referring to?

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bear fans are always concerned about the unproven back ups no matter the position, Garsu, Connor Shaw etc. Guys who are probably on the choping block. Smh

greg23

Liked Posts:
Grasu NFL tape is awful.

He allegedly was better last season until he hurt his knee at a family fest practice and never played against NFL competition.

Shuffling the line around for this guy is a joke until we see him on the field.....however he likely needs to show positional versatility or an injury to a starting olineman to make the roster.

Bears need to keep kush, A swing tackle and I'm intrigued by their draft pick this year Morgan as a possible replacement at guard next season to sitton.....can he slide to the practice squad??? Maybe....if so, allows us to keep another o-libe on 53 man roster.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
If Grasu can't make the cut so be it, he's a third round pick anyway not losing a ton of value on a guy that's been injured in back to back years.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's pretty simple...

Especially if it's near the start of the season... if Grasu looks about as good as Kush, they'll play Grasu because Pace drafted Grasu in the 3rd Rd and he missed all of 2016. They see him more as the future starting C, than Kush as the future starting G.

Consider the trending health of Sitton and Long, there's a high probability they both go down, in which case Kush has one G position and you really want to see Grasu holding the C position as soon as possible.

Why do you say this? Kush is only 2 years older then Grasu and has looked good going against other NFL players. Plus as you said the G position is more a position of need! I would that the exact opposite is true. I would much rather try to develop Kush then Grasu, because he is better to start with and plays a position that is almost a immediate need of a new starter because of health and age.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Grasu makes the team one way, if he can provide depth at guard as well as center. If, as the Bears have stated, he has added some good weight that helps his power/anchor, he already had good ability to get to the next level. Grasu isn't beating out Whitehair and Whitehair is not going to be starting at any tackle position without a rash of injuries. Sitton Whitehair Long is a dream interior line, why do Bears fans bitch about position A and once the Bears have a stud at position A, want the Bears to move him to position B and reopen the weakness at position A.

Hey maybe Whitehair can play safety once his C days are done.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:

Yes, but that was due to us signing Sitton, not Grasu's injury. Once we signed Sitton we moved Cody to center in the last week of the Preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Leno only allowed four sacks in 16 games all of last season, YES he's good and getting better. Guys who allow only one or zero sacks year in and year out are Hall of Fame caliber players like Smith, Peters, Thomas, Williams etc. Is Leno that good? No but he's plenty good and is a more than capable starter.

Funny stuff. Leno is a terrible left tackle. HE can effectively block maybe a third of the pass rushers in football but against anyone average to great, he looks like turnstile at a train station.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's put it another way, the Bears gave up eight sacks with Cutler behind center over the first two games and only 19 sacks over the final 14 games of the season.

27 sacks allowed all of last season versus 54 over the entirety of 2010 the first year of the Mike Martz era. Are you realizing yet how much better the offensive line is?

THe shittiness of the Chicago Bear's tackles over time is legendary. But to try and compare the Martz big time play, hold the ball offense with Jay Cutler over the ball trying to hit 40 yard pass plays to the 2 yard, get the ball out before the qb gets creamed offense of our midget OC is funny. Other than the fact, that the football is the same, there is no freeking similarity other than the Bear's had shitty tackles in both eras:(

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

ANother thing, were our two tackles different with Cutler over center? OR were they the same stiffs in all of the games?